Rawest Soul Vocalists

Comments

• harvey fuqua!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wilmer Alexander (from Wilmer & the Dukes)
    Alvin Robinson (a/k/a "Shine," as he's billed on this soul-era single I have)
    Warren Lee ("Funky Belly," forever!)

• Ba-a-a-aaaaad girl

• Lee Moses

especially "If Loving You Is a Crime, I'll Always Be Guilty".

Amazed nobody's mentioned James Brown.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Candi Staton

Bruce Springsteen

Bon Scott

Bryan Adams

Stevie Nicks

Michael Bolton

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    DUDES,

Otis Redding --- NO CONTEST. How can you deny "Try...Tenderness"? I mean really?

You can FEEL his soul raw!!! From tears of joy to tears of pain, in one fucking song. Now that is soul! Dude wore the rawest soul on his sleeve.

Shivers up the spine type shit, that's what I call raw.

But I really like Syl too, moreso than Al.

But I really like Syl too, moreso than Al.

Al Green had his raw moments, as well:

"I'll Be Good To You"

"I Can't Get Next To You"

"So You're Leaving"

"It Ain't No Fun To Me"

"All Because"

"Get Back Baby"

...but that was early on. Starting with the I'm Still In Love With You album in 1972, he was pretty much smoothed out for good!

• mr. c c carlson on bold...
    dyke and blazers dude

• dyke and blazers dude

er, dyke? fo sho. runaway peeeeeoooople!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    darondo
    alice clark
    johnny baker
    jesse james
    clyde mcphatter (pre-war stint)
    sam cooke

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

alice clark

You think she's raw? Her voice is too pretty....

• alice clark

Nah, I agree... listen close. She's got a lot of pain in that album... "Don't You Care" alone is straight chilling, when it isn't causing me to shake my groove thing

I don't actually really shake my groove thing

Yeah, I cosign the Raw.

But for me it's definitely David Ruffin. So much anger. Trapped inside. Don't stop and say hi. Motherfucker just die.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

alice clark

when she sings my eyes swell and i get all choked up. pretty? i wouldnt say so... but none of us share ears so i hear it differently than you do. i feel that shes pretty raw and has a hard lived face on the back of that jacket. she looks tired and i feel that when she sings. every song is about lost love... that shits gotta hurt after a while. even the stuff she did with billy vera is tortured sounding lyrically to me.

...here's a left-field choice from modern times: the Holmes Brothers. Right now I'm listening to their soul version of the country-crossover standard "He'll Have To Go," and even though it's a tender ballad, those are three intense vocals blending in there...

• Esther Phillips

• Wilson Pickett

yessss.... but... can i have the syl photo in high res?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    marva whitney

That's who I thought the first time I read the title of this thread. I love her screaming vocal style.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Does anyone here know the Lord Luther 45 "Two of a Kind"? He is definitely in the same league with Lee Moses.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Wilson Pickett

CO-SIGN.

Gladys Knight..........not the rawest though.

SOUL.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Wayne Carter (I'd still like to hear the pre Mootrey's 45)

"My woman ain't home anymore.......... it's just a big old house on a hill"

If she's not the rawest, in your opinion, then why bother mentioning her name?

Does anyone here know the Lord Luther 45 "Two of a Kind"?

Oh yes, I have that one. The words are just a straightforward love song, but his intense and paranoid delivery says something else! Love this record.

I also have this other song he did called "Thinking Man's Girl," which is more R&B than soul, but his voice is as gritty as ever. Don't own the original single, I just have it on a late-80's bootleg vinyl compilation on the Savage Kick label entitled Black Rock & Roll.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Ahhhhhhh, Etta! She rocks my world. [color:white] And she gets my vote [/color]

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Billy Bland is raw as fuck... So is Buddy Ace.
    Duke rocked it!

Since cats are going outside the soul box, I'll add this sister....

Oops, actually meant Bobby Bland whom I would consider a soul singer aswell as a blues man.
    Crossover

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Arthur Conley should be a mention too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Because "rawest" is like someone asking who the "best" is. The pantheon is interchangable. There is no best/rawest/smoothest/etc....

Some voices might be 75% rasp and grit w/ 25% emotion vs 50% rasp/gravel to 50% emotion. It's relative. The cat from the Dells most def raw but the "rawest".................

Michael Jordan/Bill Russell/Wilt Chamberlain/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Millie Jackson - raw voice and subject matter.

Elvin Spencer, for damn sure ("Lift This Hurt" on Twinight, among others).

And also "I've Got To Find A Way" by Moses Dillard & the Tex-Town Display (ca. 1969), featuring lead vocals by a then-unknown singer who later smoothed out like a motherfucker during the disco era...none other than...PEABO BRYSON?!? Yes indeed!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Because "rawest" is like someone asking who the "best" is. The pantheon is interchangable. There is no best/rawest/smoothest/etc....

I was actually talking about RAW in terms of grit and strength, hence the Syl jumpoff, who this thread was inspired by.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Does anyone here know the Lord Luther 45 "Two of a Kind"?

Oh yes, I have that one. The words are just a straightforward love song, but his intense and paranoid delivery says something else! Love this record.

I also have this other song he did called "Thinking Man's Girl," which is more R&B than soul, but his voice is as gritty as ever. Don't own the original single, I just have it on a late-80's bootleg vinyl compilation on the Savage Kick label entitled Black Rock & Roll.

I think I just found a copy of "Thinking Man's Girl" a few months back. I don't think I was that impressed. If so, I'd be willing to trade for something.