Rep your regional genres...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Has your city/state/province/part of the country created it's own genres or subgenres?give up some background on the innovators and history on what gives you your regional bias.Houston + + + =

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is'nt this the same as rep your city??? Whatever.

Do the Math.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not really looking for who is from your city but what styles were born from it... I wanna those lil known genres that might be overlooked. Obviously The Bronx's contribution is one of the world's best known.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• Memphis

I would say the genres of rock n roll and southern soul were invented here

I dunno man, but I think you're leaving out something, I dunno maybe...

Are you sure Memphis is the birthplace of Rock-N-Roll?

• Are you sure Memphis is the birthplace of Rock-N-Roll?

well when I hear early 50s sides of Billy Emerson, Ike Turner, Jackie Brenston, Rosco Gordon, Rufus Thomas...I think that yeah, it was invinted and perfected here...I guess you could argue the whole "shake rattle and roll" and west coast screamin' sax game of Big Jay McNeely and Chuck Higgins and a couple Johnny "Guitar" Watsons' RPM sides, but as far as a unifying sound and vibe of what we know rock n roll to be...then yeah, I am pretty sure...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Coventry could eat the south Bronx for breakfast!

well when I hear early 50s sides of Billy Emerson, Ike Turner, Jackie Brenston, Rosco Gordon, Rufus Thomas...I think that yeah, it was invinted and perfected here...I guess you could argue the whole "shake rattle and roll" and west coast screamin' sax game of Big Jay McNeely and Chuck Higgins and a couple Johnny "Guitar" Watsons' RPM sides, but as far as a unifying sound and vibe of what we know rock n roll to be...then yeah, I am pretty sure...

I know this will probably spiral into the history of r&r thread but I thought it began in the 40's..........jelly roll euphamisms.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Chicago's got

House
    Hip House
    Juke/Ghetto House

alot of previously created styles were refined and brought to the here.

I know this will probably spiral into the history of r&r thread but I thought it began in the 40's..........jelly roll euphamisms.

Double entendres do not rock'n'roll make. You can trace the sound back to the jump blues era, but most people see the early 50's as the era of the first real rock'n'roll records.

Where's Two-Tone now?

I am thinking on the whole package....loud simple backbeat, loud guitar and piano as the lead instruments, subject matter of cars, booze, girls...young people buying the records and being naughty while they listened to them...the roots are eveywhere, true..but the whole kit and kaboodle, you know?

I am thinking on the whole package....loud simple backbeat, loud guitar and piano as the lead instruments, subject matter of cars, booze, girls...young people buying the records and being naughty while they listened to them...the roots are eveywhere, true..but the whole kit and kaboodle, you know?

The culmination..............no doubt.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Where's Two-Tone now?

I think it's on MTV wearing L.A.M.B

What's good in SBX these days?

Double entendres do not rock'n'roll make. You can trace the sound back to the jump blues era, but most people see the early 50's as the era of the first real rock'n'roll records.

Doesnt the live music pre date the records? Like live hiphop 5 years before wax?
    Just sayin.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Humm... Is "GHETTO" a genre...?

Where's Two-Tone now?

I think it's on MTV wearing L.A.M.B

What's good in SBX these days?

What's MTV.........is that on Nickalodeon.

URBAN

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

URBAN

EYH! That site is cool. Nah?

http://batman.manyfacesof.com/

• HUMPPA

This Finnish style grew popular in the 60's and 70's. It grew out of 30's foxtrot and was perfected by "Pumppu-Veikot"-orchestra. The music is bad, like bad bad.

URBAN

EYH! That site is cool. Nah?

http://batman.manyfacesof.com/

Oh yeah, Bob Kane Batman's creator is from the Bronx.

• Repping the Carolinas and our own version of Northern Soul...

Doesnt the live music pre date the records? Like live hiphop 5 years before wax?
    Just sayin.

Where'd you hear that? Most of the people credited with making early rock'n'roll records were recording before that. That's why the "first" is so hard to nail down, because there are so many "transitional" records. Artists that were recording R&B, jump blues, blues, western swing and hillbilly music were all there developing bits and pieces of rock'n'roll all through the 40's and early 50's.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

The Jersey Devil

please re-read the original post.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    you mean the "boss" isn't a genre?

• you mean the "boss" isn't a genre?

He is here in Jersey!

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Taking it back earlier than "Carolina Girls," the Piedmont has it's own distinct flavor of the blues: very complicated and synchopated fingerpicking that's as much country music as it is Delta blues. I was talking with a friend whose grandfather remebers seeing these guys at shows in Tobacco Warehouses back in the day:

Pink Anderson

Scrapper Blackwell

and Blind Boy Fuller

Today, Cool John Ferguson holds down the same style. He mostly plays electric but is very much in the tradition: