Rose Bowl

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I hate dynasties unless it's my team
    the evergreen state college geoducks? hmmm, that's a weird choice.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    the
    evergreen state college geoducks? hmmm, that's a weird choice.
    them hippies actually have a team?!?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Vince Youngpepper was down when he pitched the ball on the 10 yard line....no review.....HUGE PLAY

they would've scored anyway, probably on the next play. obviously USC wasn't concerned about it or they would've called a time out to buy time for the play to be reviewed.

Except that the monitor the referees were using malfunctioned and Texas stepped to the line and snapped the ball before the chance for a review.

And to say they would have scored anyway... how do you know?! Ridiculous.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Couple things:

Leinart's comment at the end was a little unsportsman-like = yes, but so what. Leinart was pissed they lost - so stop over analyzing every damn comment. On top of that, Bush and Leinart also went to the Texas locker room afterwards to congratulate, "So lighten up Francis."

Second, I think the loss should be atributed to Coaching. The blame will mostly get put on Bush's mistake, but remember Leinart threw an interception and those TWO 4th Down decisions - Texas held USC. I agree that in the 1st quarter SC should have kicked the field goal and should have punted in the 4th, drive the ball back to the 20 yard line and it would have been a different story. And on top of all that no no defense for SC. For Pete being the "Mastermind" of defense got more than a newbie on Soul Strut. Carroll got played.

Hands down to VY but also to the fucking offensive line who held the Trojans D to NO sacks. And hands down to TE Thomas who caught 10 passes which 3 were on 3rd down.

Great game - one of the best I've seen. I wish SC would have won but o'well...

• ed you are buggin
    thats why they have a national championship.... to show who is the better team.
    who did usc play this year that was the same caliber squad as texas???
    stop hatin

thats not the case... USC IS the better team...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Vince Youngpepper was down when he pitched the ball on the 10 yard line....no review.....HUGE PLAY

they would've scored anyway, probably on the next play. obviously USC wasn't concerned about it or they would've called a time out to buy time for the play to be reviewed.

Except that the monitor the referees were using malfunctioned and Texas stepped to the line and snapped the ball before the chance for a review.

And to say they would have scored anyway... how do you know?! Ridiculous.

because

the
    where do you think the bonghit championships originated? that's seriously a photo of their mascot.

the
    where do you think the bonghit championships originated?
    that's seriously a photo of their mascot.
    What's strange is, I don't even find that hard to believe.

the
    ..for some reason, i'd love to run out of the bleachers and tackle that guy as hard as possible.

the
    ..for some reason, i'd love to run out of the bleachers and tackle that guy as hard as possible.
    And then kick him in the nuts. All before jacking his kicks.

the
    And then kick him in the nuts. All before jacking his kicks.
    i'll bet he's "too cool" to wear that facepaint to class. what a fucking pussy.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Carroll definitely owns that loss. He's has had the luxury of simply going for it on fourth down all season and converting it, no problem. This season, it wasn't unusual for USC to go for it, regardless of field position, on a 4th and 7 scenario, and I even think I saw them go for it on 4th and 13 once.

I think the coach just got a little too comfortable dominating lesser teams all season and really failed to respect a top defense in a critical situation.

• I guess those were Vince Young's footprints in the sand carrying UT on his back.

Great game.

Why do they even play them though if USC is still "clearly the better team". Maybe 03 and 04 USC, but this Trojan team didn't have the horses on defense to compete. I mean, did you all watch the unbelievably athletic UT secondary. I loathe that fucking team, but they did the darn thing and they deserve their props.

Sickest plays outside of Bush and Young:

LenDale White mauling future top 10 pick Michael Huff w/ a nasty, nasty stiffarm.

Michael Griffin's insanely athletic interception.

The Bush gaffe took away and gave big-time mo.

Carroll and co. were not on top of their game and deserve most of the blame.

But shit. It was a 3 point game. If USC had had 8 more seconds or one more timeout it goes to OT.

Now get the fuck out of college football Vince Young so that UT will go back to not living up to expectations.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    ed you are buggin
    thats why they have a national championship.... to show who is the better team.
    stop hatin

thats not the case... USC IS the better team...

stop hatin

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    pull up a seat gentlemen and listen........

Vince Youngpepper with his own two chapped lips said after the Heisman ceremony he thought HE should have won ...and HE was better than Bush[/b] and that Bush only won because of his highlight appeal.......

Those comments demonstrate far less sportsmanship than saying your TEAM is a better team .....

i'll put it to you in simple terms.......USC is WITHOUT QUESTION a top ten team all time in college football history.......if anyone argues this then THEY are simply just hating....there is no argument ....i repeat...USC IS A TOP TEN TEAM ALL TIME IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY!!!!! 2005 TEXAS IS NOT EVEN TOP 25 .....

sometimes in sports a team matches well with another team or has the formula to defeat a great team

here's an example for you people who choose to deny what's real:

the 1998 Minnesota Vikings were a powerhouse,great team of all time...15-1... nobody could fuck with them.....yet they were defeated in the conference championship game by the above average (at best) Atlanta Falcons.........because football is not a best of 5 or 7 game it was over for Minnesota....but nobody with half a brain would say the 1998 Falcons were better than the 1998 Vikings

as far as Vince goes....he's a GREAT COLLEGE quarterback but:

HE ONLY PLAYS IN THE SHOTGUN

he is FAR less productive running to his left..which is why he almost never runs left

he throws sidearm

and his size is his ONLY advantage

all reasons why he's a GREAT COLLEGE QB....but wont do shit in the NFL

AND LASTLY:

no i'm not mad doggie.....

the CITY[/b] i live in has far more championship banners and trophies than the ENTIRE STATE[/b] of Texas......

it's good to let someone else experience being a champion from time to time

• pull up a seat gentlemen and listen........

the CITY[/b] i live in has far more championship banners and trophies than the ENTIRE STATE[/b] of Texas......

it's good to let someone else experience being a champion from time to time

Can Seattle get one then!!!!! Go Hawks. Leinhart is a batch anyway. He's a better version of Ken Dorsey or Toretta. He'll flop in the NFL. Young could be alright in the NFL but he looks like a faster, bigger version of Rich Gannon with that throwing motion. Bush really flopped the game for SC. He let Texas get back in it with that bullshit.

. Leinhart is a batch anyway. He's a better version of Ken Dorsey or Toretta. He'll flop in the NFL.

i agree...Leinert is very overrated.....he wont be shit in the nfl either....

as far as Seattle goes....Hasselbeck is going to have to throw the ball ...thank God they have home field advantage cause i'm still a little skeptical about dude in big game situations

• here's an example for you people who choose to deny what's real:

the 1998 Minnesota Vikings were a powerhouse,great team of all time...15-1... nobody could fuck with them.....yet they were defeated in the conference championship game by the above average (at best) Atlanta Falcons.........because football is not a best of 5 or 7 game it was over for Minnesota....but nobody with half a brain would say the 1998 Falcons were better than the 1998 Vikings

I don't think this is a very good comparison.

If USC and UT played ten times, they'd probably split 5-5. These teams are very evenly matched and most times, VY would give UT the edge. UT is dripping w/ sick talent on offense and defense, just as SC is. SC's offense is more well-rounded for sure, but UT's defense is loaded w/ playmakers and is more talented. If USC had had *any* playmakers on defense, the game mighta gone a different way.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i repeat...USC IS A TOP TEN TEAM ALL TIME IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY!!!!! 2005 TEXAS IS NOT EVEN TOP 25

what the hell are you saying here???? that '05 USC is a top 10 team all time, but '05 texas isn't even a top 25 team? that makes absolutley no sense, especially since wednesday night (btw usc lost that game to texas if you don't know).

or that USC overall (entire storied career) is a top 10 team (agreed) but that Texas overall (entire storied career) isn't even in the top 25? that too makes no damn sense.

and the state of texas dog...it's just a bad look all around.

jesus christ.....i'll talk slowly

1)just because Texas beat USC does not mean they are a better team HISTORICALY than USC......

2)this year's Texas team is very good.....but not even better than Oklahoma 2004...

3)USC lost because of TWO reasons and only TWO reasons........they could not TACKLE YOUNG (he's too big) and they turned the ball over 3 times in the red zone.......

4)i'm not saying Texas did not deserve to win....i'm not saying Texas shouldn't have won.....i'm saying anyone who says this Texas team is in the top 25 of all time college football teams is an idiot.......either give me a list or shut the fuck up .....you can't give me a list....so shut the fuck up

5)i'm not salty or mad......Texas deserves to be this years champion.....but 20 years from now people will be talking about the DYNASTY OF 2003-2005 USC and how they LOST to Texas.........

ARE THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS BETTER THAN THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS ?????????

• 5)i'm not salty or mad......Texas deserves to be this years champion.....but 20 years from now people will be talking about the DYNASTY OF 2003-2005 USC and how they LOST to Texas.........

I dunno. If VY comes back, you can go ahead and etch another crystal trophy for the Longhorns. Then they'll be talking about the two MNCs that UT won as opposed to the 1.5 that USC won.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    ARE THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS BETTER THAN THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS ?????????

Comparing this game to USC/Texas is apples & oranges.

Every year, the best team in the NFL is determined by who wins the Super Bowl. Period. Losses during the regular season aren't very significant, so long as you make the playoffs. Even the best teams will lose 2-4 games a year. In college, the entire season is a playoff. If you lose one or two games, you're fucked.

Franky, I'm tired of the USC hype machine. ESPN ran a 20-part series on how USC would fare against the greatest college teams of all time. Most of the experts picked Southern Cal to win against the great teams of the past. Turns out USC couldn't beat the 2nd-best team of 2005.

Bottom line, USC played a home game for both the National Championship and football immortality. And they lost. Does this mean they're not a great team? No. Does it mean they're not as good as Texas this year? Look at the scoreboard.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    jesus christ.....i'll talk slowly

1)just because Texas beat USC does not mean they are a better team HISTORICALY than USC......

2)this year's Texas team is very good.....but not even better than Oklahoma 2004...

3)USC lost because of TWO reasons and only TWO reasons........they could not TACKLE YOUNG (he's too big) and they turned the ball over 3 times in the red zone.......

4)i'm not saying Texas did not deserve to win....i'm not saying Texas shouldn't have won.....i'm saying anyone who says this Texas team is in the top 25 of all time college football teams is an idiot.......either give me a list or shut the fuck up .....you can't give me a list....so shut the fuck up

5)i'm not salty or mad......Texas deserves to be this years champion.....but 20 years from now people will be talking about the DYNASTY OF 2003-2005 USC and how they LOST to Texas.........

what are you talking about
    this was not a playoff game
    this was not a 1 seed vs an 8 seed and ended up being an upset
    this was a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
    USC got outplayed. period.
    you can say that they lost because of this or they lost because of that, but if usc is "one of the all time great teams", then they don't lose to a lesser squad.
    am i correct?
    thats what makes a team great. they win the ones they are supposed to. this was a game they were supposed to win and they got beat. period.
    ef your trojans. ef your history. all that history doesnt mean anything when your squad goes in and can't finish. this wasnt about how good usc was back in 1980whatever. this is about how yall could not beat texas. yeah you can give me "2 reasons and ONLY 2 reasons" why you lost, but look at those reasons! you cant tackle the quarterback and you turned the ball over. dont you think those are important aspects that a good team takes care of???

like i said before and ill say it again

WHO DID USC PLAY THIS YEAR THAT WAS THE SAME CALIBER SQUAD AS TEXAS?
    ill tell you the CLOSEST one was notre dame and yall won on some BS bush push. that junk aint even legal.
    anyways im done
    you actin like nobody here knows football

ef your trojans
    im glad they lost

• I wonder if Tom Delay funneled some money into Bush's Heisman campaign.

Comparing this game to USC/Texas is apples & oranges.

Losses during the regular season aren't very significant

i know you aren't saying the Colts game vs the Chargers was not important to the Colts..........Are you ??????

usc is "one of the all time great teams", then they don't lose to a lesser squad.
    am i correct?

no you're not

WHO DID USC PLAY THIS YEAR THAT WAS THE SAME CALIBER SQUAD AS TEXAS?

have you seen Texas' 2005 schedule ? it was pitiful

ef your trojans

i'm not really a USC fan.....i just dont buy the argument that Texas is a better team .....they are the national champs congrats to them but...... i'm done

but before i go.....

The Last Ten Years

#1 Miami 2001
    #2 Usc 2004
    #3 Nebraska 1995
    #4 Florida State 1999
    #5 Michigan 1997
    #6 Usc 2003
    #7 Lsu 2003
    #8 Florida 1996
    #9 Nebraska 1997
    #10 Tennesee 1998
    #11 Oklahamoa 2000
    #12 Miami 2002....yes i know Ohio State won the game ....BUT MIAMI WAS A BETTER TEAM !!!
    #13 Texas 2005

and yes ...i intentionaly left 2005 Usc out...i'd probably rank them #5 or #6 but i dont want anyone to get all butt sore..

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    What's your criteria? Numbers of draft picks?