roommate etiquette

Comments

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    when i first bought my house, back in july of 1999, i had an old friend move in with me to rent out my downstairs room. things were really cool for the first two years, while we dated a bunch of different girls, started a couple bands, smoked a million cigarettes, etc. then, while i was away for a weekend, i came home to him moving a bunch of his new girlfriend's (month and a half) shit into the basement... when i asked him what up? he came at me all defensive, like "she's in a really bad situation where she is, and it's my responsibility to help her... for just a few months." i thought about it for a while, and figured it wouldn't be so bad with her paying some of the rent and bills, so i said sure. the very next morning, i came downstairs in my boxers to take my morning shower, and she was sitting on the couch. i said hi, or whatever but not much more was said between us. that night, my buddy said that we needed to talk. he said that his girlfriend found it completely unacceptable that i walk around the house in my underwear, and that i'd need to cover myself up in her presence. !!!? i then reminded him that it was my mortgage, and he and his girl were simply renters. he and i ended up wrestling in the front yard for about 20min, and then he said they were moving out. then they changed their minds and wanted to stay... until she got preggers and moved into her mom's house. six months after the baby was born, she left him for an army guy who ended up picking my friend up by his throat in an attempt to dissuade him from coming around again. i always thought that she fucking sucked, plus his daughter looks like E.T.

this is what i'm sayin. girlie doesn't really know she's stepping on toes. she doesn't understand what the problem is. she doesn't help out at all around the house, just sits and watches TV. all. day.

we had a fire once and everyone was going crazy and running around like you do when your house is ablaze. and she just sat. on the couch. watching tv. never heard a word from her.

• when i first bought my house, back in july of 1999, i had an old friend move in with me to rent out my downstairs room. things were really cool for the first two years, while we dated a bunch of different girls, started a couple bands, smoked a million cigarettes, etc. then, while i was away for a weekend, i came home to him moving a bunch of his new girlfriend's (month and a half) shit into the basement... when i asked him what up? he came at me all defensive, like "she's in a really bad situation where she is, and it's my responsibility to help her... for just a few months." i thought about it for a while, and figured it wouldn't be so bad with her paying some of the rent and bills, so i said sure. the very next morning, i came downstairs in my boxers to take my morning shower, and she was sitting on the couch. i said hi, or whatever but not much more was said between us. that night, my buddy said that we needed to talk. he said that his girlfriend found it completely unacceptable that i walk around the house in my underwear, and that i'd need to cover myself up in her presence. !!!? i then reminded him that it was my mortgage, and he and his girl were simply renters. he and i ended up wrestling in the front yard for about 20min, and then he said they were moving out. then they changed their minds and wanted to stay... until she got preggers and moved into her mom's house. six months after the baby was born, she left him for an army guy who ended up picking my friend up by his throat in an attempt to dissuade him from coming around again. i always thought that she fucking sucked, plus his daughter looks like E.T.

FIVE STARS!

Fuck that. I spend half my life in nothing but boxers. At least. Rules against walking around in your boxers =

Depriving yourself of smoke and YYZ because of your roomies' girl is

dawg, im not talking about listening. im talking about living. we have like 2 drum sets that i'd love to get better acquainted with, but can't because girlie's face will melt on account of flaming fills and flim-flams.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    when i first bought my house, back in july of 1999, i had an old friend move in with me to rent out my downstairs room. things were really cool for the first two years, while we dated a bunch of different girls, started a couple bands, smoked a million cigarettes, etc. then, while i was away for a weekend, i came home to him moving a bunch of his new girlfriend's (month and a half) shit into the basement... when i asked him what up? he came at me all defensive, like "she's in a really bad situation where she is, and it's my responsibility to help her... for just a few months." i thought about it for a while, and figured it wouldn't be so bad with her paying some of the rent and bills, so i said sure. the very next morning, i came downstairs in my boxers to take my morning shower, and she was sitting on the couch. i said hi, or whatever but not much more was said between us. that night, my buddy said that we needed to talk. he said that his girlfriend found it completely unacceptable that i walk around the house in my underwear, and that i'd need to cover myself up in her presence. !!!? i then reminded him that it was my mortgage, and he and his girl were simply renters. he and i ended up wrestling in the front yard for about 20min, and then he said they were moving out. then they changed their minds and wanted to stay... until she got preggers and moved into her mom's house. six months after the baby was born, she left him for an army guy who ended up picking my friend up by his throat in an attempt to dissuade him from coming around again. i always thought that she fucking sucked, plus his daughter looks like E.T.

i knew this was coming

• I spend half my life in nothing but boxers.
    I spend half my life in nothing but boxers.

• Depriving yourself of smoke and YYZ because of your roomies' girl is

dawg, im not talking about listening. im talking about living. we have like 2 drum sets that i'd love to get better acquainted with, but can't because girlie's face will melt on account of flaming fills and flim-flams.

dude, its your house, you can DO whatever the fuck you want. go play the fuckin drums dog.

• Options
    we had a fire once and everyone was going crazy and running around like you do when your house is ablaze. and she just sat. on the couch. watching tv. never heard a word from her.

Sounds to me like she has the balls in the house. Go make her some waffles and hope she doesn't beat you up with one of your drumsticks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

dude, its your house, you can DO whatever the fuck you want. go play the fuckin drums dog.

she HAS to put up or shut up.

Sounds to me like she has the balls in the house. Go make her some waffles and hope she doesn't beat you up with one of your drumsticks.

you're right. i have to step up. something is being said. people will be uncomfortable.

soulstrut, give me the strength!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I BELIEVE IN YOU! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN MAKE IT IF YOU TRY!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

she HAS to put out[/b] and shut up.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

i knew this was coming
    hi chr*s!

...anybody have a girlfriend/boyfriend that moved in while you were drunk in anaheim, only to come home to them and all their shit being there, then realizing you were really wasted and forgot the whole conversation?

...anybody have this all happen, but then she/he gets fired for being really irresponsible, and now you have to pay for every fucking thing she/he needs, including her x-mass presents for her friends and family!?!?

roommate just got home. ill spit it to him once the mistress vacates.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

seriously...

if you had a girlfriend, you'd want her around...

you need to talk to your roommate, not soulstrut, about this...

b/c it sounds like you have issues w/ her being there even when he's around... and what's he gonna do, not get laid b/c you're not comfortable w/ his girlfriend being in the house...

if you want to play drums, do it, you wanna watch TV, do it... you want "alone time", tell her or him....

the worst thing to do in roommate conflicts is the passive agressive say nothing but act weird bullshit...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    You are the man of the house right? Establish a few rules with your roomate and follow them. Nothing extreme just general stuff that makes sense to both of you. Ask him what he would do in your shoes.

I had the exact same situation and they both ended up moving out when I finally asked her to start kicking in for rent. Oh well.

Just tell her how you feel or let her read this thread. Fuck that shit. Try these things:

Tell her in a nice way that you don't like anyone there when you guys (the rent payers) are not. What happens if something goes wrong and she was the only one there? What happens if she leaves the house and can't lock up and someone jacks all your records? Then tell her you are leaving to run errands in about an hour and you need to lock the house up so she will have to go.

If she has a key to your pad, ask her for one to hers. Say "don't you like to open your house and share everything too?"

Ask her where she would draw the line if she were you?

Simply wake up and tell her you need the house to yourself today and tomorrow for personal secret things that she can't know about. Repeat as needed.

If you have a gat, leave it lying around(not loaded). My experience has been that guns really freak MOST girls out. Also it might help re-assert your position of authority. ha.

When she's sitting watching HGTV in the living room sit down and turn the channel immediately and do not relinquish the remote. She will give you the gas face but what the fuck can she say or do really?

Just act like she's not there. Play drums loud. Jack off. whatever.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    start by asking her to pay for her share of the utilities (she should go for this), then after a month or so, ask for her share of the rent. Plain and simple.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I love threads like this. Other people's problems rule!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this is why I like M*tt.

My two cents: Fuck all of this walking around in your draws nonsense. Just walk around butt ass nekkid! Jimbrowski swingin' all around the place. What's the worst that can happen? An appearance on Judge Judy?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    when i first bought my house, back in july of 1999, i had an old friend move in with me to rent out my downstairs room. things were really cool for the first two years, while we dated a bunch of different girls, started a couple bands, smoked a million cigarettes, etc. then, while i was away for a weekend, i came home to him moving a bunch of his new girlfriend's (month and a half) shit into the basement... when i asked him what up? he came at me all defensive, like "she's in a really bad situation where she is, and it's my responsibility to help her... for just a few months." i thought about it for a while, and figured it wouldn't be so bad with her paying some of the rent and bills, so i said sure. the very next morning, i came downstairs in my boxers to take my morning shower, and she was sitting on the couch. i said hi, or whatever but not much more was said between us. that night, my buddy said that we needed to talk. he said that his girlfriend found it completely unacceptable that i walk around the house in my underwear, and that i'd need to cover myself up in her presence. !!!? i then reminded him that it was my mortgage, and he and his girl were simply renters. he and i ended up wrestling in the front yard for about 20min, and then he said they were moving out. then they changed their minds and wanted to stay... until she got preggers and moved into her mom's house. six months after the baby was born, she left him for an army guy who ended up picking my friend up by his throat in an attempt to dissuade him from coming around again. i always thought that she fucking sucked, plus his daughter looks like E.T. [/b]

comedy relief

• You are being too considerate. I too am in a place with two drum kits.I smoke and drum all day.I'm just saying if you drum,then drum...shell have to get used to it.Nobody in my household will ever make me feel uncomfortable enough to not play my drums when I feel like. Just saying...

My two cents: Fuck all of this walking around in your draws nonsense. Just walk around butt ass nekkid! Jimbrowski swingin' all around the place. What's the worst that can happen? An appearance on Judge Judy?
    richard bey

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    richard bey
    Richard Bey show is so necessary, if it was 1995 .

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

My two cents: Fuck all of this walking around in your draws nonsense. Just walk around butt ass nekkid!

richard bey
    Richard Bey show is so necessary, if it was 1995

hahaha!!! that show was awesome!

you're right. this would've been better served in the_Mack.com's advice column.

man, all this talk has got me fucking pissed!

• Tap it or you're soft.

you're right. this would've been better served in the_Mack.com's advice column.

Hopefully will weigh in on this. I believe he will tell you to "poke it out, dawg".

man, all this talk has got me fucking pissed!

• Get your clown on. Every time you see her give her a hard time (all in fun). If she's how she sounds, she won't enjoy the fun and leave. Or just have a roommate meeting, her not invited, and TALK ABOUT IT!!!!