Are these records any good?

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Lee Gagnon - Jeremie OST
    ??berhyped. i don't like it. pretty lame.

It's probably indescribable, but could someone like to explain why and how this record suddenly shot up in price on eBay? It's finally come back down, but for a while it became a $100+ record.

12/6/03 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $78

4/16/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $510

6/9/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $29.99

6/27/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $107.50 RESERVE NOT MET

6/29/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $99.99

7/19/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $234.50

8/22/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $153.63

12/7/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $66.51

12/11/04 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $96

2/4/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $123.50

2/5/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $64.60

2/21/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $129.50

2/22/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $93.88

4/14/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $60

5/11/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $76

5/17/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $86

6/8/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $107

6/17/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $109

7/13/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $72.11

8/8/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $99.99

11/18/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $80

12/2/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $79

12/6/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $40

12/16/05 Gagnon, Lee ??? Jeremie $57.99

Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come
    very lame fusion/straight jazz. the drum break isn't even that nice. a rare one on happy bird, but not good. totally overrated. steve grossman recorded some better stuff.

Thank ya.

O'Donel Levy - Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky
    nice. i like it. although it's not much better than other groove merchant releases. but i like most groove merchant recordings.

Cool, because that's not that expensive nor hard to find.

Melvin Sparks - Twister
    Texas Twister is one of my top wants. i listened to it once. fantastic stuff.

Better than his other stuff? Because I get the feeling that it's a $100 record just because it's on Eastbound, not because of the music.

Jerzy Milian - Orkiestra Rozrywkowa
    dope dope dope! one of my top wants. never seen it for cheap though. most other milian releases are soft in comparison. i think the orkiestra rozrywkowa is even better than string beat.

Better than String Beat? I need to hear this. Who put it on their Ish? Was it Legend. Can someone hook me up with a You Send It Please????

100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You is a really solid soul/funk LP, IMO. I'm feelin' about 7 or 8 of the 10 tracks on there, and would gladly pay the going rate for it in a heartbeat.
    What is the going rate for it? Picked it up a few years ago and have always been tempted to sell.

Little over $100 I think.

100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You is a really solid soul/funk LP, IMO. I'm feelin' about 7 or 8 of the 10 tracks on there, and would gladly pay the going rate for it in a heartbeat.
    What is the going rate for it? Picked it up a few years ago and have always been tempted to sell.

Around $300 I think. Dibbs if you decide to sell it

There's 2 ridiculously solid tracks on that LP. Windy C of course and No More City, No More Country. Funky as hell on those 2 cuts, sweet soul for the rest that is kinda

DJ Ferrari

$300? One went on eBay in February 2005 for $143.50. Another in December 2004 for $122.50.

$300 sounds more like the going price for that 1619 BAB LP.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Melvin Sparks - Twister
    Texas Twister is one of my top wants. i listened to it once. fantastic stuff.

It's a very good record. By far better than Melvin's other records (funkyness-wise or organ-guitar-ish-wise).

About Jerzy Milian: I hope it's the one with the two Funk tracks. That's what I remember. It's the yellow one, right? That one is totally nice.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Melvin Sparks - Texas Twister

I'd say twister isn't as good as that 'sparkplugs' one - it's heading towards slick for me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Joel,

A few of these are probably LPs I played for you. Here's my suggestions:

Lee Gagnon - Jeremie OST
    It's "usually" around $100 but given that the LP shows up on eBay with some frequency, it's not unusual that there'd be fluctuation in the price. It's got nice basslines and drum breaks but in terms of "songs" it's not quite there.

Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come
    Personally, I think it's cool as far as a decent jazz fusion LP goes but it's non-essential.

No.

Melvin Sparks - Twister
    It's a good, solid Prestige/Eastbound-sounding jazz funk album but I never liked it enough to shell the $100 to get it. I can think of titles in the same vein I like better and which are far less expensive.

100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You
    I like this LP but not for the prices it usually commands.

Jerzy Milian - Orkiestra Rozrywkowa
    Just be careful: I think there's at least two different albums with the same title but are NOT (from what I can tell) the same album.

Zalatnay - which of her LPs are good?
    None, given what I know to be your taste in music. The "Hadd El Mondjam" has some tasty drum breaks but I don't see you spending loot to acquire shit like that.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Jeremie OST =

Co-signed.

I think it;s just not what people expect. But there's breaks for days on this thing.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Lee Gagnon - Jeremie OST

It's probably indescribable, but could someone like to explain why and how this record suddenly shot up in price on eBay? It's finally come back down, but for a while it became a $100+ record.

Is there a way you could set the "advanced search" on ebay, so that you could see past auctions from 2 years ago?? or did you just record those prices manually somewhere?

Lee Gagnon - Jeremie OST

Is there a way you could set the "advanced search" on ebay, so that you could see past auctions from 2 years ago?? or did you just record those prices manually somewhere?

I just track records on my want list. During vacation I'm all over that shit. During the school year not so much.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    hehe. cool.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    No.

He's right. I listened to it again. Don't know what I was thinking. Is there a more straight ahead funky Levy LP? Is Simba a good one? I'm confused.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    whats up with this record folks?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    No.

He's right. I listened to it again. Don't know what I was thinking. Is there a more straight ahead funky Levy LP? Is Simba a good one? I'm confused.

Seriously, I think "none of the above" would be about right. If you want great guitar jazz, stick with Joe Pass or Grant Green or Wes Montgomery. Levy's been sampled...that's about as grandiose a compliment as I can really pay to his albums.

Alright, I'm lovin this post. Here are a couple more I'd like to ask people's opinions of:

Duke of Burlington - Flash & Pressed Piano LPs (Like their "Flash" 45, are the LPs any good?)

Cane & Able - How are their 2 LPs? These were the same guys as Bobby Boyd/Lafayette Afro Rock Band????

Aura - ST (There are two separate LPs. One is on Chakra and the other is on Mercury. Are either any good and are they the same or different bands?)

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I don't rate Texas Twister as high as some of his other LPs. I actually haven't listened to the LP in several years, though, so maybe my tastes might favor it now...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Cane & Able - How are their 2 LPs? These were the same guys as Bobby Boyd/Lafayette Afro Rock Band????
    I've got the self-titled one and I like it!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Aura - ST (There are two separate LPs. One is on Chakra and the other is on Mercury. Are either any good and are they the same or different bands?)

They are 6 years apart from each other, so I would hazard to say they are different line ups. I haven't heard either, but the mercury one should be pretty cheap when you come across it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah to my knowledge they're the same guys.

Was going to post up some Mp3's from their Relating A Message To You album on Ear Fuzz over the next week or so - like the album a lot - well produced poppy funk for the most part with a killer instrumental track, Gemma Morett, at the end.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Duke of Burlington - Flash & Pressed Piano LPs (Like their "Flash" 45, are the LPs any good?)

Flash/30 60 90 are two of the worst songs on the Flash LP. Cop that record! It's superb. One of my favorite European releases! Great cover versions and some own compositions. I'm not joking! Jazz Funk Psych. Buy that record!!! You won't regret it. I listened to the Pressed Piano LP, but never found an original copy. I liked it too, but can't remember any song. The Flash LP is great.

Cane & Able
    one of the best European Funk bands. I love both their records. Great sound and style. Regardless what other people say. Amazing records.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    DAMN. Look what I found out about The Duke Of Burlington:

"we met Mario Battaini. He was a professional accordion and keyboard player, he had just played with Adriano Celentano, and under the name of The Duke of Burlington he had just had an international hit with Flash. The Duke of Burlington was a one-man band, he played everything including the famous "piano preparato" [translated in english as pressed piano], but the record company assembled a group with miming musicians for the TV clips."

• Flash/30 60 90 are two of the worst songs on the Flash LP. Cop that record! It's superb. One of my favorite European releases! Great cover versions and some own compositions. I'm not joking! Jazz Funk Psych. Buy that record!!! You won't regret it. I listened to the Pressed Piano LP, but never found an original copy. I liked it too, but can't remember any song. The Flash LP is great.

Cane & Able
    one of the best European Funk bands. I love both their records. Great sound and style. Regardless what other people say. Amazing records.

"Relating a Message to You" is an incredible record.

I have that Burlington record and you can't go wrong on it. It's a bit confusing, the many reprints with slightly different track listings. My cover looks something like this, minus the circle advertising "Flash":

Would that be the OG?

Amazing, that info you found, Grope.

• Aura - ST (There are two separate LPs. One is on Chakra and the other is on Mercury. Are either any good and are they the same or different bands?)

They are 6 years apart from each other, so I would hazard to say they are different line ups. I haven't heard either, but the mercury one should be pretty cheap when you come across it.

I've had the S/T Aura on Chakra. There are two pressings of it, one on the original SF (I think) label and a Florida pressing with a differently colored cover. It is very good funky horn rock with a big break cut called "Sativa". It starts off with a bong rip. The bong ripper is credited on the back. It is rare and pricey. I don't think anyone besides those folks that need EVERY SINGLE FUNKY RECORD EVER need to spend the requisite $400-600 on it. Buy a Cold Blood record.

The second Aura record is garbage.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

"Relating a Message to You" is an incredible record.

I have that Burlington record and you can't go wrong on it. It's a bit confusing, the many reprints with slightly different track listings. My cover looks something like this, minus the circle advertising "Flash":

Would that be the OG?

Amazing, that info you found, Grope.

My cover looks like that. My pressing is on the German Vogue label. I don't know about the original Italian pressing though. The Pressed Piano is on JOKER??? And has almost the same tracks? And a kitten on the cover?
    I've seen many pressings of Flash on eBay. Brazilian, Italian, Spanish, UK, German, French pressings...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah to my knowledge they're the same guys.

Was going to post up some Mp3's from their Relating A Message To You album on Ear Fuzz over the next week or so - like the album a lot - well produced poppy funk for the most part with a killer instrumental track, Gemma Morett, at the end.

Actually, first day back at work is boring and I've had no sleep so have put time to good use and posted it up now instead: http://www.earfuzz.com/

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    whats up with this record folks?

orchestrated soul with strings has a little grittyness though, reminds me abit of jackson five with the kid style singing, some of the vocals are way off though.

• 100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You (I've heard one track Windy C on a compilation, but what does the rest of it sound like?)

1619 Bad Ass Band - ST (Same thing, heard one track on a comp, wondering if the rest is any good)

100% pure poison is a modern soul (or crossover if you use the UK soul term) classic and it's reissued by Expansion i think, the title track is really good and uplifting and i believe there's another good one on it aswell, not a good lp on the whole tho', also as us and eur. 45s..

1619 bab has been on my wants forever aswell, always a tad too expensive or always a falling out or something when i try to trade for it, the track "just for you" is a monster and is 70s soul perfection i believe there's one on GEMM that superflyrecords wants about 450$ for which is about 100$ - 150$ too much..

/L

the 100% is not modern soul....it's funky soul and some dope ballads from 1974...i really like the record a lot and i think you would too.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I couldn't tell you why Jeremie suddenly became so expensive, but I'm awfully glad it did. After selling that $510 copy, I went through another half-dozen at $300 and the people who bought it were thrilled with the price. Once upon a time it wasn't very rare at all but you would now be hard pressed to find a copy in Quebec. Personally, I think it's a great record and good value for a bill. Lee Gagnon is also hip to the LP's status amongst collectors; his promo material includes odub's review of the LP. Always the soulstrut connection.

• Simba is by far his best shit.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Simba is by far his best shit.

Must be. I remember a good record by Levy.