Kool G Rap 4-5-6 Appreciation

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Kool G Rap: 4, 5, 6 (double LP) - 1995I recently dug this up from a stash I got last year, finally had the chance to really listen to it and damn this is a heavy record. From the dark Premo-style boom-bap beats to Kool G's vicious lyrics (often with a message) and menacing delivery, this is one hard album. Are people sleeping on this album (Raj's inclusion of a track on one of his past mixes notwithstanding) or did I forget my late pass? Discuss 4,5,6, its producers, Kool G Rap, and/or my late pass.

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    alot of people are going to think i'm a fool, but i prefer the og cheese version of "fast life".
    "BROOOOTHA YOU GOT TO GET THAT MOOOONEEEY!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Kool G Rap: 4, 5, 6 (double LP) - 1995
    I recently dug this up from a stash I got last year, finally had the chance to really listen to it and damn this is a heavy record. From the dark Premo-style boom-bap beats to Kool G's vicious lyrics (often with a message) and menacing delivery, this is one hard album. Are people sleeping on this album (Raj's inclusion of a track on one of his past mixes notwithstanding) or did I forget my late pass?

Discuss 4,5,6, its producers, Kool G Rap, and/or my late pass.

This album is better than people made it out to be at the time... kind of wish I'd hung onto my copy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Word. Dope LP. I was always feeling the track "For Da Brothaz" with the slow Art Farmer loop. That track is

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This was a cool album back in 95,the production was top notch Dr Butcher did his thing especially on the title track.The use of the Weather Report song as well as the Axelrod tune started me out looking for those type of Moody jazz fusion records to sample.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    alot of people are going to think i'm a fool, but i prefer the og cheese version of "fast life".
    "BROOOOTHA YOU GOT TO GET THAT MOOOONEEEY!"

cosign. Something about that loop (gap band or midnight star or something, right?) that just makes me feel all jiggy circa 1995.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah that Surface loop is so ill. i love that tune man

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Surface

Still jiggy in '05 and beyond!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It makes you feel all jiggy like how you did in 1995, too?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Something about that loop (gap band or midnight star or something, right?) that just makes me feel all jiggy circa 1995.

Surface - "Happy" get your modern soul game up playa

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i have a double for trade

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

It makes you feel all jiggy like how you did in 1995, too?
    yup

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    young Patrick listenin to Kool G Rap at 8 years old, so ahead of the game

• dj_processdj_process 11 Posts
    It's a Shame is dope.