Famous "hip hop diggers" stories.

Comments

• OHH DAMN HE DIDNT?! MANNNN FUCK EDAN THEN GUESS I GOTTA THROW AWAY MY EDAN RECORDS NOW

dont do that

ill take them haha

dudes gotta be a dick...i seen him at TSL once...being a total prick

daaayum! ive done some great trades with edan...i dont think hes a dick at all, however i have seen the staff..( s*e*e) at sound library act like pricks. aside from that, dude has got the quite a collection of rap 12"s...all the heat
    kon came by my spot maybe 5 years ago and made me realize how little i knew about beats and what a wack dj i was...on track 2 blew my wig back...state street bank connect dude! glad to see you gettin your deserved props man...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I've gone digging with Raj & Danno "the future of hip hop" 3000!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Did yo ever dig with Corey Feldman?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Did yo ever dig with Corey Feldman?

I've gone looking for used movies on VHS with corey haim @ a good vinyl spot. Don't know if that counts.

• I got to take Tim Gane record shopping in SF and Berkeley on the last Stereolab tour. Raddest dude ever, bought some sick Polish experimental stuff and I was like woah... I thanked him for recommending Messiaen's Turangal??la Symphony in some interview and he was like, "oh yeah that's very pop."

So modest with the records but probably has one of the sickest collections / mental databases in the world. I was surprised to hear that he's never smoked dope but is all about fine wine.

• Not really digging but turntable buying.

When i was about 16 i went to a spot to get my first turntables. I made it with about 2 minutes left before closing time. I noticed somebody was inside still browsing so I knocked on the door and waved about a thousand dollars at the owner. He quickly opened the door.

When I went in (the entrance was about three feet wide and a tight fit) I bumped into the guy browsing around) to my surprise he turns around and it's DJ Jazzy Jeff

He says you're getting here kind of late. So i tell him I'm buying my first tables. He quickly drops what he's doing and acts like he works there and shows me everything and tells me his opinions. He shows me all the best wires, needles, etc..

He tells the guy to give me his discount. When I'm done buying.. he asks do you have nice headphones? They're real important. I say not really, he then proceeds to pick out a 300 dollar pair of headphones and gives them to me. I say I don't have enough for that.. he says "Don't worry about it there on me."

He says good luck with dj'ing and helps me take my stuff to my car.

NICEST PERSON I EVER MET. FAMOUS OR NOT.
    DuderonomyThe Bizarre

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not really digging but turntable buying.

When i was about 16 i went to a spot to get my first turntables. I made it with about 2 minutes left before closing time. I noticed somebody was inside still browsing so I knocked on the door and waved about a thousand dollars at the owner. He quickly opened the door.

When I went in (the entrance was about three feet wide and a tight fit) I bumped into the guy browsing around) to my surprise he turns around and it's DJ Jazzy Jeff

He says you're getting here kind of late. So i tell him I'm buying my first tables. He quickly drops what he's doing and acts like he works there and shows me everything and tells me his opinions. He shows me all the best wires, needles, etc..

He tells the guy to give me his discount. When I'm done buying.. he asks do you have nice headphones? They're real important. I say not really, he then proceeds to pick out a 300 dollar pair of headphones and gives them to me. I say I don't have enough for that.. he says "Don't worry about it there on me."

He says good luck with dj'ing and helps me take my stuff to my car.

NICEST PERSON I EVER MET. FAMOUS OR NOT.

Signed, Will Smith[/b]

Well, that goes to show you how broad the definition of "famous" can be - since I have no idea who any of those people are!

btw I'm sure it's more my own naivete than their lack of fame...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    A couple of years ago I installed some artwork @ Joyce and George Wein's residence. I was awestruck that I'm in the home of creators of the Newport Jazz Festival. So my dumbass asked Mrs.Wein...."What's your favorite record in your collection?" She just smiled and looked slightly puzzled.

• EDANEDAN 5 Posts
    I see Edan around Boston all the time. I saw him once at L**ney T**es, I had just gone through these unsorted piles of 70's soul LP's they had just put out, when he came in with his vestax.

I was like, "good timing, they just put out a bunch of good shit" (wishing I had a portable cause it was all pretty obscure mid-70's soul/funk/disco that I wasn't all that up on)

Dude just made a noise at me like

So I just stepped off - nothing was gonna piss me off cause I had just pulled a minty OG of Fatback Band Let's Do It Again for $10...

Dude rolled by a few minutes later when I was in the jazz, all 180 style "hey, so, what did you pull out of there?"
    and I gave him an "eh, just some shit..." and an

...and then you coolly lit a cigarette and rode off on a Harley...right mousey?

Who are these people?
    Yo, if you're who I think you are, then as I remember, it was a harmless, even a friendly exchange...
    No need to dramatize...
    Regardless, I'm not "famous" and I don't really care to have better records than the next man, whatever that may entail...
    I'm just trying to get by and stuff.

Here's a lil' celeb digging story though...
    One time I was in this weird record shop in Bristol or Liverpool, UK or some shit...
    The shop was straight connected to the hotel I was staying at...it just seemed like I was in an obscure corner of the Earth or whatever...
    So I'm fucking around in the bins and I hear that fuckin' clown voice...so I turn around and its Jello Biafra...he was looking for Western soundtracks or some shit...
    Incidentally, while overhearing Jello Biafra speak, I was staring at a copy of "Almighty Seven" by Cutmaster KG & Dollar Bill in the bin there...I already had one so I passed on that shit...I kinda regretted it later...this was before things got a bit crazy with the mid-school rapp prices.
    So like two years later, I'm back in bristol for a show or whatever and I stop off in a little flea market type spot and I find that same copy of "Almighty Seven" with that same 4 pound price tag sitting in this other dealer's little shack/stand...some lucky shit...
    I think I ended up trading that shit to Kohji/K-Prince for some record that he had ten of...
    anyways, whenever I hear that "C-C-C-C-Cos' I'm Righteous" from the Dollar Bill shit, I think of Jello...
    which is kinda ironic considering that 5 percenters don't fuck with swine...
    SO yeah...
    PEACE TO EVERYBODY...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    -EDAN

The Bizarre

• chrischris 287 Posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Trust me, my brother - my "I got snubbed by EDAN" story was not played for drama, strictly laughs. And I wasn't hating, you did throw some shade when I spoke to you - but, hey, I'm not looking to meet new friends in record stores either.

I respect that you don't consider yourself famous, but there are definitely some dudes around here who spend parts of their days wondering what you ate for breakfast - I'm not one of them, but I do listen and respect your skills.

• I'm sorry if I've missed something but what is the about? PM if need be. Looks like it might go dizzle tommorrow. When is Matt Dillon goin to son someone?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    While we're all here... what did you eat fro breakfast today Edan?

Nah f'reel though, I'm looking forward to your show in Sydney on jan 24th. Don't get food poisoning and cancel on me now!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I see Edan around Boston all the time. I saw him once at L**ney T**es, I had just gone through these unsorted piles of 70's soul LP's they had just put out, when he came in with his vestax.

I was like, "good timing, they just put out a bunch of good shit" (wishing I had a portable cause it was all pretty obscure mid-70's soul/funk/disco that I wasn't all that up on)

Dude just made a noise at me like

So I just stepped off - nothing was gonna piss me off cause I had just pulled a minty OG of Fatback Band Let's Do It Again for $10...

Dude rolled by a few minutes later when I was in the jazz, all 180 style "hey, so, what did you pull out of there?"
    and I gave him an "eh, just some shit..." and an

...and then you coolly lit a cigarette and rode off on a Harley...right mousey?

Who are these people?
    Yo, if you're who I think you are, then as I remember, it was a harmless, even a friendly exchange...
    No need to dramatize...
    Regardless, I'm not "famous" and I don't really care to have better records than the next man, whatever that may entail...
    I'm just trying to get by and stuff.

Here's a lil' celeb digging story though...
    One time I was in this weird record shop in Bristol or Liverpool, UK or some shit...
    The shop was straight connected to the hotel I was staying at...it just seemed like I was in an obscure corner of the Earth or whatever...
    So I'm fucking around in the bins and I hear that fuckin' clown voice...so I turn around and its Jello Biafra...he was looking for Western soundtracks or some shit...
    Incidentally, while overhearing Jello Biafra speak, I was staring at a copy of "Almighty Seven" by Cutmaster KG & Dollar Bill in the bin there...I already had one so I passed on that shit...I kinda regretted it later...this was before things got a bit crazy with the mid-school rapp prices.
    So like two years later, I'm back in bristol for a show or whatever and I stop off in a little flea market type spot and I find that same copy of "Almighty Seven" with that same 4 pound price tag sitting in this other dealer's little shack/stand...some lucky shit...
    I think I ended up trading that shit to Kohji/K-Prince for some record that he had ten of...
    anyways, whenever I hear that "C-C-C-C-Cos' I'm Righteous" from the Dollar Bill shit, I think of Jello...
    which is kinda ironic considering that 5 percenters don't fuck with swine...
    SO yeah...
    PEACE TO EVERYBODY...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    -EDAN

The Humble Magnificent

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I'm sorry if I've missed something but what is the about?

as explained by Motown67

The reason why there's a Salma Hayek graemlin is because people on the Strut would start talking about someone and then they'd appear on the Strut posting like AP. Thus, people started saying Salma Hayek, Salma Hayek in hopes that she would appear as well. I'm still waiting

salma

hayek

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Zhang Zi Yi! Zhang Zi Yi!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

New Jersey

last year

Q-Tip

coppin some disco joints on a hip hop excursion

on his celly talkin bout sneakers

At Disco John's store? Me and Sampo saw him there as well, buying Mr. Fingers 12's.

• id love to do a documentary on heads like Biz and Dante and all them

just so i can see their collections

i guess its better to not see it tho....then youll just get jealous

thats kinda creepy in a 15 year old stalker sorta way

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Zhang Zi Yi! Zhang Zi Yi!

Someone with photoshop skills needs to hook me up with a Zhang Zi graemlin

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Also, this isn't a digging story but I do remember running into DJ Muggs at a Smokin Grooves concert in '97 outside of San Francisco somewhere and he was coming out of the men's room. I just wanted to recognize (but wasn't the biggest fan) so I said "DJ Muggs, I like your shit." He gave me a pound as I left. I then walked into the men's room noting the irony in said statement.

Muggs: "ORLY? That's good, 'cause I didn't wash my hands???"

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    yea

that was the spot

would u agree with me if i said "Disco John is a dick even when hes being nice"?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    So I was pulling Phil Cohran LPs out of Val's Halla (holla) about 4 summers ago, minding my own business. I make my rounds in the front--checking the Jazz and 70s rock, then head to the back room of 60s records and I see this dude with a stack of records to his side. I usually mind my own business, but I saw dude had a sealed copy of the Common People record on Capitol. I ask if I can see the rest of his stack, he's like, "sure, but don't blow your cool". We're talking Baby Huey signed OG stuff. Gandalf, Food, whatever, then I get to the bottom, and dude has 2 copies of Out of the Bachs.

Holy shit. I finally look up and tell him quietly he found some amazing records, and that if he didn't give me one of those copies of the Bachs records, I would tell the owner what it was really worth. It was then I realized who he was, and told him that the Wonder Years was one of my favorite TV shows as a child. Then my face turned back into grill mode and said that I wasn't kidding about the Bachs shit.

What a strange day. I had left my finds in the back of my Geo to go to 2nd Hand Tunes, only to come back empty handed and notice all of my finds warped beyond belief.

• I finally look up and tell him quietly he found some amazing records, and that if he didn't give me one of those copies of the Bachs records, I would tell the owner what it was really worth.

Man, what part of the game is that?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I finally look up and tell him quietly he found some amazing records, and that if he didn't give me one of those copies of the Bachs records, I would tell the owner what it was really worth.

Man, what part of the game is that?

3 things you should know about the record game:

1) There are no saints in this record game.
    2) There are no saints in this record game.
    3) If it's your first night, you have to fight.

• Im sure one or two of you weirdos might care about a recent spotting of mine. I was in Paris, in this ebay room and Thurstin Moore, the dude from Sonic Youth, is in there and the only other dude. He had a stack of about fifty german and french concrete/experimental records. Very nice and down to earth guy, who knew his french and german avante/experimental like no other. He was in town to do a show with the Alpes, I believe, which he found a few of for me.

• Bushwick Bill. Amoeba LA. 3 days ago.

Thurston Moore is everywhere.

• Thurston Moore is everywhere.

I'm everywhere.