Famous "hip hop diggers" stories.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Who's Edan? Let's get back to legitimately famous people like Afrika Bambaataa, not pencil dicks off the Stones Throw label.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Who's Edan? Let's get back to legitimately famous people like Afrika Bambaataa, not pencil dicks off the Stones Throw label.

New Jersey

last year

Q-Tip

coppin some disco joints on a hip hop excursion

on his celly talkin bout sneakers

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• Who's Edan? Let's get back to legitimately famous people like Afrika Bambaataa, not pencil dicks off the Stones Throw label.

"clinical rhymes" is

i really dont care how thin his dick is

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Peter Wolf from J. Geils band used to come into my record store all the time, but he ain't very hip hop.

And neither am I...so what kinda stuff was Wolf buying? Old R&B and country, like he's known to be into?

The only thing I remember him ever buying was the B.B. King with Clapton CD that was huge a few years back. He was usually with a girl, who would do the shopping while he just kind of fidgeted behind shades. He generally comes off as pretty burnt - my main memories of him are seeing him all the time in the late-80's, after Geils had that "second wind" of huge hits, but also after his solo ish bombed out, wandering around downtown looking drunk, pissing in doorways and stumbling about. Not once, but like every time.

Much cooler than seeing Wolf is seeing Ric Ocasek, whom I have seen a couple of times around town. The best was when I saw him grocery shopping with Paulina - I was probably like 22 - I rolled on him and told him how much I liked "Rock for Light" and had him sign the Cro-Mags record I had just bought, and gave the supermodel my nicest smile possible, although I was feeling very un-rock-star...

I can't speak on the music of Stones Throw because I haven't heard enough to say so, but what I have heard to me is

My point was, famous hip hop diggers in my mind does not = Edan, Egon, etc because who has ever heard of them besides us? They're more famous than you or I, but that doesn't make them famous.

REALITY CHECK

• more famous than me???????

REALITY CHECK

sike, i know what youre saying on that count.
    i was just defending one song of edan's that i like. i still meaning to buy his LP.

i bumped into finesse a bunch of times in nyc, always getting vip customer treatment and perusing very esoteric psyche records. ill.

Lord Finesse is a nice dude. I caught him after a show at Tramps and he gave me a pound. And once again, I'm not famous (yet).

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    id love to do a documentary on heads like Biz and Dante and all them

just so i can see their collections

i guess its better to not see it tho....then youll just get jealous

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    They're more famous than you or I, but that doesn't make them famous.

REALITY CHECK

in my eyes it does. i mean they don't have tom cruise notoriety, but they are some of the diggers i look up to. just my .02

happy new year-

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    id love to do a documentary on heads like Biz and Dante and all them

I've seen the D-mans collection, and I'm sure his collection is much more focused than Biz. I can see Biz havin like Liza Minelli records and Herb Alpert and shit, just so he can say "Got It"

• Back at my old shop, I used to put five or six crates of $2 records on the sidewalk out front. One night I'm inside talking with a friend when two black guys come in and start shopping the used vinyl. I say hello and keep chatting it up with my friend. After a few minutes, I look outside and there's this dude with a huge stack of $2 lps...just piling them on. Both my friend and I are like "whoa" and I say out loud, "I wonder if he's a Japanese buyer". After a bit, he comes in and puts the pile on the counter and starts shopping the rest of the used and starts talking with the two black guys. He starts laughing and yells up to me, "so you think I'm a Japanese buyer, eh?" and all three guys start laughing.

Turns out the two black guys are the X-ecutioners and the other guy is their roadie/tour manager...and obviously NOT Japanese. Roadie (in good spirits) continues to bust my balls saying things like "Yeah, we all look alike don't we...".

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I'd like to run into Matt Dillon and tell him he's the man.

Dug next to him at the old Collector's Co-op in the basement of Oarfolkjokeopus in Minneaplois many years ago. I thought he would be taller. He was looking for latin stuff back in the early 90s. Let's just say I was not.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Peter Wolf from J. Geils band used to come into my record store all the time, but he ain't very hip hop.

And neither am I...so what kinda stuff was Wolf buying? Old R&B and country, like he's known to be into?

The only thing I remember him ever buying was the B.B. King with Clapton CD that was huge a few years back.

Wow, his tastes sure have taken a dive...

He was usually with a girl, who would do the shopping while he just kind of fidgeted behind shades. He generally comes off as pretty burnt

I met him myself backstage at a show he was doing, a few years ago...nice enough guy, I would have just loved to just sit down and chew the fat about fave 45's, although there were too many well-wishers at that gig for that to happen. But even though it was a good show, I too got the impression that he'd been to hell and back.

Ya see, I'm a huge fan of the first two J. Geils Band albums from the 70's, and I love to see interviews with Wolf, then and now - he was always quick with a wise-ass comment, he screwed Faye Dunaway (RIGHT ON, WOLF) and apparently he was a bit of a crate-digger himself (is he still?). There's a chapter on Wolf in Vinyl, Brett Milano's book about record collectors.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    He was looking for latin stuff back in the early 90s.

Still is...

• Peter Wolf from J. Geils band used to come into my record store all the time, but he ain't very hip hop.

The only thing I remember him ever buying was the B.B. King with Clapton CD that was huge a few years back.

Wow, his tastes sure have taken a dive...

He was usually with a girl, who would do the shopping while he just kind of fidgeted behind shades. He generally comes off as pretty burnt

I met him myself backstage at a show he was doing, a few years ago...nice enough guy, I would have just loved to just sit down and chew the fat about fave 45's, although there were too many well-wishers at that gig for that to happen. But even though it was a good show, I too got the impression that he'd been to hell and back.

Ya see, I'm a huge fan of the first two J. Geils Band albums from the 70's, and I love to see interviews with Wolf, then and now - he was always quick with a wise-ass comment, he screwed Faye Dunaway (RIGHT ON, WOLF) and apparently he was a bit of a crate-digger himself (is he still?). There's a chapter on Wolf in Vinyl, Brett Milano's book about record collectors.

i see peter wolf pretty often, he sits in with a band that has a residency at my work..dude has serious stage presence..gotta give it up, he's an entertainer for sure...i always thought his music was wack growing up, guess it was a local thing, kinda like aerosmith..ahaha...apparently he has alot of wax still, and an original howlin wolf business card

• Didn't see the set but heard it was kinda

What cut would you drop? King of Pain?

And are all the Synchronicity's that dark purple vinyl?

Happy New Year all!

Peace,
    Cortez

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    You gotta take these I-saw-yadadadaydadude-and-he-was-kinda-jerky stories with a grain of salt.

When anyone's in a hurry - for example I'm often in a rush bouncing between jobs - I'll sometimes avoid small talk or conversation with people. Like give short answers to conversation starters or avoid eye contact. But unless someone did something real bad like scruff your kicks a la Do the Right Thing I wouldn't be calling people jerky too easily.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Back at my old shop, I used to put five or six crates of $2 records on the sidewalk out front. One night I'm inside talking with a friend when two black guys come in and start shopping the used vinyl. I say hello and keep chatting it up with my friend. After a few minutes, I look outside and there's this dude with a huge stack of $2 lps...just piling them on. Both my friend and I are like "whoa" and I say out loud, "I wonder if he's a Japanese buyer". After a bit, he comes in and puts the pile on the counter and starts shopping the rest of the used and starts talking with the two black guys. He starts laughing and yells up to me, "so you think I'm a Japanese buyer, eh?" and all three guys start laughing.

Turns out the two black guys are the X-ecutioners and the other guy is their roadie/tour manager...and obviously NOT Japanese. Roadie (in good spirits) continues to bust my balls saying things like "Yeah, we all look alike don't we...".

Ha ha! You got clowned dun! The cat with all the $2 LPs would have been either Kyu or Pete, both Korean hommies from New York.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I met Meg White at Record Graveyard in Detroit.
    I've never seen a person looking so bored while
    diggin for records.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I met Meg White at Record Graveyard in Detroit.
    I've never seen a person looking so bored while
    diggin for records.

plaese to pass the riunite on ice.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    A few stories;

I took Shadow to my secret back room spot (no homo) here in Australia, he is the only person I ever took too, anyhow the back room at the store is gone now (the Record Exchange, Brisbane), Shadow was 100% dude and MAD cool and even gave me a fat shout on the mic that night. Anyhow, Shadow brings his pile of shit up to the store owner (Van), who is the biggest record store freak I've ever met. Just a fruit loop. Anything that's good hits that back room, and anything on the floor should be in the back room and gets priced at $20+ because-so. So Van is getting excited cuz Shadow is sayin' OK to his stupid prices, and he says "...are you a DJ, are ya'?? I saw this crazy thing on the TV the other night, they have these big outdoor dance parties, and there's people dancing, thousands of them, me and you should do one!!!, I'll take the drinks and you DJ and we can split the money..." hahaha, Shadow was like "really?"... dude was mad persistant too, coming up with ideas for the drinks and talking about how he's gunna get lighting and shit, I was chuckling, Shadow just remained calm. It was honestly one of the funniest and most embarrasing things I've ever witnessed... Before that we hit another store and Josh found a copy of the Live In Austin bootleg on vinyl... he seemed bummed about it, the record store was cool though and gave him a copy free...

Been diggin' with Cut Chemist a couple of times, dude knows what he's after and doesn't buy records for the sake of having them... One time I took Cut and ?uestlove out, Cut bought next-to-nothing, but ?uest bought everything and anything. He's a mad PRINCE collector and he bought a whole box of Rolling Stone magazines and tons of just random records... all genres... rock, pop, disco, etc. he took home all the Aussie gems I offered him too (thanks)..., problem was that he had no way to get them all home, so I rolled by the hotel and took all the records he bought on his entire trip, and the heavy ass box of rolling stone magazines and kept them at my crib and organized to get them shipped to him... considering I don't have a car, it ended up being tricky but got it to him in the end...

I hit up Babu out in Japan and dude was FIENDIN' for some heat. He was leaving the next morning and couldn't roll by the crib, so I stayed up all night, loaded up the portable and bought a bag of records to his hotel... he was amped on the Japanese stuff! Real humble guy who knows his shit...

Probably the coolest dude to go diggin' with is Young Einsten... from Brisbane to Japan we got down (no homo) in dem' crates and he's got the golden touch when it comes to finding dope wax too! (and quick to share around doubles, thanks R****y).

Big Chan hooked me with Lord Finesse's number and we chopped it up on the phone a couple of times and we were meant to hustle records in Tokyo, but stupid me forgot to call him back to get his Japan number before he left NY... big *DOH*

peace.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i see peter wolf pretty often, he sits in with a band that has a residency at my work..dude has serious stage presence..gotta give it up, he's an entertainer for sure...

Even though the last few Geils albums have not aged well (I dumped Freeze-Frame long, long ago), I've always had a distinct respect for the band. Saw a Muddy Waters tribute on TV a few years back...everybody else was doing all these plodding slow songs, then Wolf comes out with the Houseparty Five TEARING SHIT UP with an uptempo number, which the program sorely needed. To this day, Peter Wolf's onstage shuck-and-jive has influenced my own stage presence in the bands I've been in.

apparently he has alot of wax still, and an original howlin wolf business card

Which reminds me of another story...apparently Wolf was a major Dyke & the Blazers fan back in the time...and this was when Dyke was still alive and in his heyday. I understand that when Dyke passed on, the Geils band was passing through L.A.. For whatever reason, Wolf stopped off at Original Sound Records (Dyke's label) and left with a Dyke & the Blazers memorial calendar?!?!?

All together now:

in other words...

• Don't think I can match DJ Sheep's stories but I have run into a few people while digging:

- Matt Dillon at pretty much all the WFMU shows I've been to.

- Psycho Les at King George's before it closed recently

- Peanut Butter Wolf just two days ago at Turntable Lab (not exactly digging but I guess buying Serato plates counts??)

- Juju (Beatnuts) at Sound Library

- Breeze when he used to work at Fat Beats

Also, this isn't a digging story but I do remember running into DJ Muggs at a Smokin Grooves concert in '97 outside of San Francisco somewhere and he was coming out of the men's room. I just wanted to recognize (but wasn't the biggest fan) so I said "DJ Muggs, I like your shit." He gave me a pound as I left. I then walked into the men's room noting the irony in said statement.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Matt Dillon at pretty much all the WFMU shows I've been to.

When I first heard about this dude collecting a while back I was like ... ah shit! that's my dude! Motherfucking Jason Bourne is collecting great latin records! Syriana was the shit.

But now I just realized. Wrong one. "Dillon." Fuck.

• Did King George shut down? Wasn't he supposed to have a storage somewhere in Harlem or something? Did it close too? Is it ebay only now?

Dress

• OHH DAMN HE DIDNT?! MANNNN FUCK EDAN THEN GUESS I GOTTA THROW AWAY MY EDAN RECORDS NOW

dont do that

ill take them haha

dudes gotta be a dick...i seen him at TSL once...being a total prick

daaayum! ive done some great trades with edan...i dont think hes a dick at all, however i have seen the staff..( s*e*e) at sound library act like pricks. aside from that, dude has got the quite a collection of rap 12"s...all the heat

• id love to do a documentary on heads like Biz and Dante and all them

hope you mean....dante ross = hip hop

• I think he means Carfagna... who posts on this board from time to time.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    OHH DAMN HE DIDNT?! MANNNN FUCK EDAN THEN GUESS I GOTTA THROW AWAY MY EDAN RECORDS NOW

dont do that

ill take them haha

dudes gotta be a dick...i seen him at TSL once...being a total prick

daaayum! ive done some great trades with edan...i dont think hes a dick at all, however i have seen the staff..( s*e*e) at sound library act like pricks. aside from that, dude has got the quite a collection of rap 12"s...all the heat

i hear this often but the two cats ive delt with at sound library (jared and rob i believe) have been mad cool when i and friends have been up there. A-1 on the other hand has been a diffrent story.

shit, its rare for me not to see someone known at TSL. Off the top of my head i have scene the following there, pbw, showbiz, psycho les, total eclipse, juju, lord finesse, etc. Its been a couple years now since ive last been in nyc though.