Mummers?! NRR

smallchangesmallchange 202 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Since I'm spending/spinning NYE in Philly, wondering...what's the friggin' deal with these mofos? What is the drug preference of choice to be on while watching this? What afterhours parties are going on to carry me thru the evening so I can be properly cracked out to watch this insanity? also, while downloading some songs (legally, OF COURSE) for my more than slightly commercial gig, I have to concur. My Humps has got to be one of the worst songs of all time.$??

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

The Incredible Scream Band

Dude, what the fuck is that?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah, I went to the Mummers parade last year and it is WEEEIRD. Lots of (still) drunk people in those costumes, it's a tradition and I have no idea why.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yall don't know shit about the mummers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Yall don't know shit about the mummers.

break it down cause i've never seen anything like that before

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    What you really dont want to do is buy any mummers records... they are all over the place here... yes I have a few.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What you really dont want to do is GIVE any mummers

New Orleans

Brazil

Brooklyn

• drug of choice is definitely alcohol...lots and lots of beer. share with the kids

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My drunken buddy is a mummer. He's in the comic devision. I asked him what was their theme was this year. He couldn't even tell me. He said they had a silver wigs and green outfits. I'm sure he's at 2 st. getting sloppy. I've never been to a mummers parade after all the years I lived in the area. My buddy gave up trying to get me join. I told him "I'm not a face painter"

• Me and the missus stayed an extra day and philly and hit this for an hour or two. Very demented. A weird cross between the shriners and carnival. Whatever you think of them, there is a LOT of people invovled, and the shit is like a broadway production, movable sets, confetti guns, 50 piece bands, psycho-delic outfits, the whole nine. Plus all the dancing is pretty retarded, its like anyone could do it, definitely has some old world folk flavor. On acid.

Actually I coulda used some schrooms, especially for the one string band that had a 'robot' future theme, with 25ft high robots and computers. When the motherfuckers broke into 'Mr. Roboto' with banjos and horns, me and my girl almost fell off the bleachers. Shit was mad retarded. They also did 'Axel F' for a sec too.

And they do all this shit on new years day in philly, which isn't the warmed place on earth. I believe a lot of alcohol is involved.

Anyways, props to them. Those people are definitely out of their gourds.

$??

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Actually I coulda used some schrooms, especially for the one string band that had a 'robot' future theme, with 25ft high robots and computers. When the motherfuckers broke into 'Mr. Roboto' with banjos and horns, me and my girl almost fell off the bleachers. Shit was mad retarded. They also did 'Axel F' for a sec too.

Why couldn't that be on tv when I was checking it out? Damn I got my mummers fill too early.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This thread is too funny. I remember growing up and watching them Mummer cats on TV. I never saw it from the same perspective most of you do. I just thought that shit was kinda funny.

Well, this is before I started drinking, so I guess that plays a big part.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• From the folks who brought you the Declaration of Independence -- hailed as
    "the feel-good celebration of America we need" --- STRUT! spotlights the
    world of the Philadelphia Mummers and their annual parade. For fourteen
    hours each New Year's Day, electricians, longshoremen, plumbers, cops, and
    other working class wizards transform the city of brotherly love into the
    world capital of surrealism.

The human counterpart to the Liberty Bell? heroic, iconic, and just a teeny
    bit cracked -- the Mummers are quintessentially American in their boundless
    celebration of life, liberty, and the pursuit of joy. Those meeting them for
    the first time will recognize of our collective national character and the
    principles we hold so dear.

From the parade's pre-colonial historic roots and evolutionary contributions
    of European and African Cultures, to the Vaudeville slapstick routines and
    4-minute, fully choreographed Broadway shows, to the extraordinary
    inclusiveness and tolerance of everyone except the competition -- the
    Mummers capture the pride, passion, and pure soul of the country. Broader
    themes resonate. The power of multi-generational family bonds and resolute
    fraternity-- the lessons of the immigrant experience and blurred social
    boundaries -- the liberating abandon and shameless extravagance of
    self-expression.

Shot with no script and a point of view that shifts easily from moment to
    moment, the colorful, ebullient tale is told through revealing interviews,
    new and vintage newsreel footage, dazzling still photos, and glorious music.
    The result is a documentary that is at once personal and epic, unique and
    universal, touching and funny.

STRUT -- THE MOVIE

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

photoshop, that's what's up?