Skillz' "The Rap Up '05"

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
talk about running a one-time gag into the ground...http://spinemagazine.com/music/december/madskillz/therapup2005.mp3

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    talk about running a one-time gag into the ground...

http://spinemagazine.com/music/december/madskillz/therapup2005.mp3

Unless he included a line about himself making these tired rap ups, I ain't even trying to hear it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

yueah. Engough already. ISnt every year the "Last year"

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

http://spinemagazine.com/music/december/madskillz/therapup2005.mp3

Unless he included a line about himself making these tired rap ups, I ain't even trying to hear it.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    A few months ago i read an interview about him. I forgot what interview it was from (Maybe Allhiphop.com) but dude was sayin he was completely done (again) with the Rap Ups. Blah, blah, blah, blah... F*ck the Rap Ups - put out an album...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    He's probably got the Supernatural syndrome - good for a gimmick, but unable to deliver on a compelling full length...

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Ya but his first album was solid. Not mind-blowing but good...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I agree, but still falls short of the spectacular hyperbole Skillz would have you believe he has recorded in his lifetime (especially to sycophants on Okayplayer)...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    his first album was Not good...

he's made a couple good records, but not nearly enough to justify his 15 year "career"

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

I agree, but still falls short of the spectacular hyperbole Skillz would have you believe he has recorded in his lifetime (especially to sycophants on Okayplayer)...

Point noted.....

and....

he's made one good album, but not nearly enough to justify his 15 year "career"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Neither "mind-blowing" nor "good."

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Jeez - you word smiths kill me!!! It was ok, mediocore, satisfactory. I like 5 songs off that record so for me it makes it a decent album....... Wait, maybe its 4 songs...... Fugg it.... I'm out

• 10 years later, "tip of the tounge" is the only track that i bump from time to time

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

somewhere in the middle then.

i still bump all but one track off this LP.

and i doubt skillz would try to justify his 15 career based on lp output alone.. it's all about the ghostwriting.

dude can rap, stop the hate.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

10 years later, "tip of the tounge" is the only track that i bump from time to time
    not nod factor or extra abstract skills? dang.

• 10 years later, "tip of the tounge" is the only track that i bump from time to time
    not nod factor or extra abstract skills? dang.

Word, I remember liking Extra Abstract Skills the most. That Large Pro beat is nice and Tip comes off. But overall, Skillz as an MC I thought was just

That one-liner style of rhyming gets old quick to me personally. See also: Chino XL, Kieth Murray, 'Tash (of the Alkaholiks), etc., etc.

• Ya but his first album was solid. Not mind-blowing but good...

Mind-blowing, no, but I think it's a little harsh to say that it wasn't a decent album. Of course, I only have one record of the two, so maybe the other one was just shit.

The first rap up was funny... last year's sucked ass. Time to retire it.

• Definitely:

On 2pac:

In a shocking lapse in his once-remarkable posthumous work ethic, Tupac Shakur somehow failed to put out a new album this year: It appears that dying in 1995 is finally starting to catch up with him.

On Lil Romeo:

On the puzzlingly titled Romeo! TV Show (The Season) Master P progeny/Nickelodeon heartthrob Lil Romeo delivers bland, Casio-crafted, teenybopper-friendly pop-rap with a disturbingly robotic proficiency. It's as if a secret government lab set out to engineer an exact cross between C-Murder and Aaron Carter.

On Peter Gallagher:

Remember that episode of The OC where Gallagher ticked off his wife and made it up by singing to her? That was fun. A full album of Gallagher karaoke, on the other hand, is hard to take. Gallagher has a decent, thoroughly undistinguished voice that's two notches above Bruce Willis and about 18 notches below the famous soul stars he covers here.

Graf,

I don't think it was a shit album but decent is not the same as good. A decent meal = passable. A good meal = a good meal.

Mind-blowing, no, but I think it's a little harsh to say that it wasn't a decent album. Of course, I only have one record of the two, so maybe the other one was just shit.

The first rap up was funny... last year's sucked ass. Time to retire it.

He's probably got the Supernatural syndrome - good for a gimmick, but unable to deliver on a compelling full length...

Speaking of Supernat:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5074221&ft=1&f=1039

• I prefer:

Nerd Hip-Hop, Flowing Like Han Solo

Listen to this story... by Jim Colgan

Day to Day, November 7, 2005 ?? "Geek rap," with rhymes and references to Star Wars heroes and scientific theories, is gaining ground on the Internet. Jim Colgan reports on the trend, and talks with a few of the genre's superstars.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4992405

I prefer:

Nerd Hip-Hop, Flowing Like Han Solo

Listen to this story... by Jim Colgan

Day to Day, November 7, 2005 ?? "Geek rap," with rhymes and references to Star Wars heroes and scientific theories, is gaining ground on the Internet. Jim Colgan reports on the trend, and talks with a few of the genre's superstars.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4992405

Geek rap now defined by =

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

if the rapper rapping sounds bored it's time to hang it up

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    this song, much like this post, is full of hatin.

this was done based on a poll started on Okayplayer by skillz himself,
    people said to do it, so he did it...
    he said he wasnt going to before..

Somehow, this makes it all the more sad.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

why is there a murs record on the wall?

• Somehow, this makes it all the more sad.

[sarcasm]because Murs fucking rules man![/sarcasm]

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

because Murs rules the world [/b] man!