Pharrell - In My Mind

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm saying: the Neptunes couldn't generate that much hype for an album they oversaw; why is there any confidence that Pharrell can come up with an entire album's worth of material (though I suppose, all he needs is two good singles)?

what does generating hype have to do with coming up with good material? plaese to give criteria

Ayres,

The Neptunes ability to generate hype is predicated on a track record of producing great singles. But despite some solid singles off of "Clones" the CD itself didn't generate much excitement, largely because the album had a lot of forgettable crap on it too.

In any case, hype does not create good music however, good music can generate hype.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    ...c'mon, you know you loved the Spymob track.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I got at SS and all I got was a bigger postcount.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The first NERD album was cool, but remember the first run didn't do shit - they went back and re-recorded everything and that's when they started sellin more units.

The 'first run' was actually a well distributed promo of the album as it was originally intended... it was released in other countries this way at the time as well... but it was never for sale in the US until they rerecorded it later that year and released in its new form...

The first NERD album was cool, but remember the first run didn't do shit - they went back and re-recorded everything and that's when they started sellin more units.

The 'first run' was actually a well distributed promo of the album as it was originally intended... it was released in other countries this way at the time as well... but it was never for sale in the US until they rerecorded it later that year and released in its new form...

• The first NERD album was cool, but remember the first run didn't do shit - they went back and re-recorded everything and that's when they started sellin more units.

i thought the major difference between the two was that the "first run" did not use a band (spymob) for the beats.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

i thought the major difference between the two was that the "first run" did not use a band (spymob) for the beats.

From www.n-e-r-d.com

Originally, In Search Of??? was painted through the familiar digital colors that marked Neptunes-produced songs for other artists. Closer inspection indicated that if N.E.R.D was supposed to be different from the Neptunes, it must sound different, too. So the group abandon those tracks (they were later released as in the UK only) and recruited the band Spymob, from the Neptunes' own Star Trak Records, to articulate their new sound.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

this is true, but it was never a "first run" in the US. it was released overseas but never official in the US. they pulled the original version (electronically produced) and went back in the studio and recorded it with live intruments, then officially released it.

ps. the cover art for In Search Of... blew my mind. blk/mrkt KILLED it, it just made it all the better

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Yes, that is the major (only?) difference...

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    A friend of mine gave me a copy of the UK CD but I must admit
    I don't think it was that different from the release using a "live" band.
    There was some interludes on the CD though that they cut out later...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Synths on "Lapdance"

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I'm saying: the Neptunes couldn't generate that much hype for an album they oversaw; why is there any confidence that Pharrell can come up with an entire album's worth of material (though I suppose, all he needs is two good singles)?

what does generating hype have to do with coming up with good material? plaese to give criteria

Ayres,

The Neptunes ability to generate hype is predicated on a track record of producing great singles. But despite some solid singles off of "Clones" the CD itself didn't generate much excitement, largely because the album had a lot of forgettable crap on it too.

In any case, hype does not create good music however, good music can generate hype.

Gotcha. I feel like we've already heard more (quantity) pop stuff off of the Pharrell album than there was on Clones or either of the NERD albums. "Frontin" was misleading because there was nothing else on the album that sounded like that - like you said for the most part it was forgettable crap. (Cosmo and I still break our necks to Hot Damn every time we get in the car but who remembers what that NORE joint sounds like?) And Frontin was out for a LONG time before Clones came out. I'm guessing there is a song similar to Frontin/Beautiful/Rock Your Body/Signs that will be the big pop single off this new album. Right now they are generating buzz with lead singles and then they will have a big radio single - that is usually how it works. Unless this Daddy Yankee joint IS the big radio single in which case they already fucked up.

• Here's that joint...

Mamacita

Let me know what ya'll think?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

INTERSCOPE, WHY YOU IGNORE THE CLIPSE FOR SO LONG?????????????????

Real quick on this - The Clipse are signed to Geffen through Star Trak - not Insterscope - big difference, beleive it or not.