Recording vinyl in a simple manner.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Can I use Garage Band? I'm sick of using ProTools to burn wax.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    peak?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    C*sm* you recomended Felt Tip sound recorder to me before, thats what I've been using. Pretty simple to manage too

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    with a mac it's easier to use soundstudio (standard on most g4's and up) or final vinyl... lacie makes one called spin doctor that's good too. don't use garage band.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    you can use anything you want, and still use the mbox/001/002. make sure the pro tools wave driver is installed, then the mbox should be available as an ASIO sound card in yer audio options. ive never used garage band before so i cant tell you exactly how to get there but yeah. i use a digi 001 every day and the last time i used the pro tools software was probably 3 years ago

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    don't use garage band.

Reasons why?

• Can I use Garage Band? I'm sick of using ProTools to burn wax.

Ya why not? mind you im not an expert (just got my mac last week)

I have been doing recordings through the line in jack with garageband. The peak limiter is very easy and useful seeing how its automatic. Just makesure u have a decent gain on it and you could always mess around with the multiband equalizer after you recorded to master that shit!

Best part is that its already on ur MAC

If ur a baller though I would think Peak is even better or possibly for pockets that arn't so deep try Audacity.

But garage band is great!

The only problem I have with it thus far is creating digital mixes that I used to do with ACID Pro 4. It seems you can't change the tempo of individual tracks, which would allow me to layer songs. The layering allows one to digitally go back in there and re-edit the tempo of ur song etc...

Anyone know how to acomplish that with Garageband?

any free programs out there that I could do that with? I don't think ACID Pro is avail on mac.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    don't use garage band.

Reasons why?
    it's a pain in the ass, unless you're multi-tracking. just not worth the time. go to your "finder" and look up soundstudio... if it's there, try that (it's really easy) if not, i can send it to you as a zip.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I thought I had Soundstudio but I don't... I think I used to.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have Audacity. I think I never used it because I don't know how to.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    just make sure audacity recognizes your soundcard and hit record
    thats about it

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hmmm...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Go with Peak if you have it... I'll help you if needed.

• I have Audacity. I think I never used it because I don't know how to.

Ya I dont want to take the time either
    it seems a little confusing at first ( Im sure its great) but takes a while to learn, like any program.

Just open up Garageband, create a new track and make it a real instrument.
    Then go to system preferances and turn ur sounds from internal Mic to line in. (Calibrate ur line in from ur mixer which ur turntable is hooked up to, I use about 70% off the line in and my mixer output)

Once u got that working go to your real instrument track back in garageband and turn the monitor on.

Then begin recording your vinyl once u hear its runnning in garage band.

• I think the upcoming 1.5 version of Serato will let you record vinyl to aif. Real time "bouncing" from Pro Tools is a pain, so I hope there is a better way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think the upcoming 1.5 version of Serato will let you record vinyl to aif. Real time "bouncing" from Pro Tools is a pain, so I hope there is a better way.
    You don't need to bounce from Pro Tools if all you are doing is recording. When you save your session, there is an "Audio Files" folder that has all of your tracks in it. You can then encode those .wav files as .mp3s. You are supposed to be able to export your tracks but I could never get it to work properly.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If you don't want to multitrack, I'd also recommend Sound Studio 3 (which actually does do multi-tracking now, but not in the same manner as GarageBand). An acquaintance of mine actually owns the company that now puts out Sound Studio 3 and he's serious about making it a useful program for digital audiophiles. I've used it for years to do audio recording as well as mix-CD mastering.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I think the upcoming 1.5 version of Serato will let you record vinyl to aif.

DILDO 1.5 (beta) = no fuss, no muss.