Al Green Just Made Tina Turner Cry

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone else see this. Dude was performing for the Kennedy Center Honors, singing "Let's Stay Together", getting his thing on, rocking the house. Camera pans up to Tina sitting next to dumbdumb and his wife, I mean the President and Laura, and Tina's sitting there tears welling in her eyes. I just wonder what she was thinking at that moment, while the Rev was singing such a joyful tune and she was getting emotional. Music is powerful, saying.

Comments

• I just wonder what she was thinking at that moment, while the Rev was singing such a joyful tune and she was getting emotional.

"I remember when Ike used to beat me to this tune. Ahh yes, the memories."

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I just wonder what she was thinking at that moment, while the Rev was singing such a joyful tune and she was getting emotional.

"baby I'm going to have to beat you with my shoes, so I don't mess up my guitar playing fingers."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Music is powerful, saying.

• Ike[/b] is powerful, saying.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    It was a great performance, but I've seen Green on TV do better. A couple years ago he was on Letterman doing the same song and got the whole audience to stand up sing along and then start jumping around with him at the end. He was going nuts that night and the crowd was right there with him.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Also, did anyone catch during Beyonce's ode to Tina that towards the end while she and the "Ikettes" were dancing they weren't even singing!?!?!! There were a bunch of back-up singers hidden behind the piano I think doing the actual vocals.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    First off, you guys are so predictable with the Ike Turner retorts. A more creative response might have been making fun of Thunderdome. People need to dig for those snaps not just say whatever comes to their mind first.

Second, I agree with Motown. On the SNL 25th aniiversary show, Al just blew the place apart.

• Anyone else see this. Dude was performing for the Kennedy Center Honors, singing "Let's Stay Together", getting his thing on, rocking the house. Camera pans up to Tina sitting next to dumbdumb and his wife, I mean the President and Laura, and Tina's sitting there tears welling in her eyes. I just wonder what she was thinking at that moment, while the Rev was singing such a joyful tune and she was getting emotional. Music is powerful, saying.

More like- What has my life come to if i have more smarts than the guy sittin next to me. tina in 08

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    First off, you guys are so predictable with the Ike Turner retorts. A more creative response might have been making fun of Thunderdome. People need to dig for those snaps not just say whatever comes to their mind first.

"C'mon, Kevin Nealon, Ike Turner loves you!"

• I saw this Al Green performance on a 70's tv show called Soul. I think early to mid 70's, he sang a bunch of songs from Let's Stay Together and I'm Still In Love With You. Incredible performance, he had a full band with him, they killed it!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Oddly enough, I shut down karaoke last Wednesday at the Chancery (a local bar & restaurant) with my renditions of "Let's Stay Together" (don't sleep on Stacks's tenor vocal range and sweet falsetto) and "You'll Never Find..." by Lou Rawls. Claps, pounds, hoots and hollas, the whole nine were goin' on. I had to get up there and show 'em how it's done.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I just wonder what she was thinking at that moment, while the Rev was singing such a joyful tune and she was getting emotional.

"baby I'm going to have to beat you with my shoes, so I don't mess up my guitar playing fingers."

spoken just like ike would say it.....

hahahaha

• Hey,

Oddly enough, I shut down karaoke last Wednesday at the Chancery (a local bar & restaurant) with my renditions of "Let's Stay Together" (don't sleep on Stacks's tenor vocal range and sweet falsetto) and "You'll Never Find..." by Lou Rawls. Claps, pounds, hoots and hollas, the whole nine were goin' on. I had to get up there and show 'em how it's done.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Wait, we have video of Jinx doing his karaoke dance but no video of Stacks staying together? This sounds like essential viewing.