Weekday Finds

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Thanks to JonnyPaycheck for hooking up the ill dig spot while I???ve been out here!This is a short list of the 200+ records I???ve bought since I got to NY. Over the next week, those in the NY area should stop by Good Records and TSL because I???ve dropped off a couple hundred Soul and Funk 45s between these two stores. I???m only going to list a few cheapies that you can cop if you find them. Some of these I knew and some I didn???t. So for all you Sweet, Group & Modern Soul fans, start digging:45s:Phil Francis and the New Horizon Band ??? A Smile on My Face (Golden Heart) ??? great vocals, reggae?Motivation ??? Please Don???t Say No (De-Lite) ??? real nice grooveWoman ??? Want to Get Back (Shock) ??? Bros of Soul prodLeon Bryant ??? Can I (De-Lite) ??? the 800 series on De-Lite is dope!Elektryk Starr ??? Just Wasn???t Meant to Be (Bay Tone) ??? M/F break-up tuneHi-Five ??? I Know Love (Jive) ??? better than ???I Can???t Wait Another Minute??? on the flipsideKevin McCord ??? Sunshine (Chance) ??? From ???91 and out of Detroit, my current fave.Miki Honeycutt ??? Make Up for Lost Time (Paula) ??? super ill female vocals, nice grooverDarlene Jackson ??? Does She (Sleep on My Side of the Bed) (Brown Dog) ??? vocals are okay but the beat is the real winner, wish there was an inst.First Class ??? (Sing) Me and My Gemini (All Platinum) ??? the inst. is SOOO dope to me. The vocal side is as nasty. Great tune!Leonard ???Lil Man??? Kaigler ??? I Think It???s A Big One Coming (Sunburst) ??? this is a dancer but its nice, sounds A LOT like Michael Jackson.Younghearts ??? Do You Have the Time (20th Century) ??? midtempo dancer and FUNKY! One of my favorite groups and I didn???t know this one. High rotation on the portable. Ernie Shelby ??? Bend Over Backwards (Polydor) ??? simply a great tune and one that has eluded me until now. Glad I finally got it.Milt Matthews ??? When Kids Rule the World (Bryan) ??? real pretty tune with a msg in the vocals.Seventh Wonder ??? Ain???t Nothing Gonna Break Us Up/Let???s Stop Kidding Ourselves (Abet) ??? great group tunes.Lee Eldred ??? You Saved Me (Chess) ??? not the strongest title in the bunch but a very nice straight ahead love song. Would???ve liked to hear more of the flute though.Deliverance ??? Leaving L.A. (Global) ??? slow to midtempo Disco Soul with a nice harmonica/conga backing. Very Bee Gee???s-ish which is NOT a bad thing haters.Michael Burton ??? Love on A Two-Way Street (Turbo) ??? funky male version with congas12s:Freddie McGregor ??? Just Don???t Want to be Lonely (Germain) ??? great reggae coverTamlins ??? Wish It Would Rain (Hawkeye) ??? great reggae coverFrank Snowden ??? With You (Starstream) ??? WOW! Ill Modern Soul from the Budweiser Showdown collection. To me, this is a must have. The flip is a nice midtempo tune by Marty and the VIPs. Anyone have any other titles on this label? LPs:John Holt ??? Holt (Jaguar) ??? don???t know much about reggae but this cat has a real dope voice over some nice beats. ???Got to Get Away???, ???All the Love I???ve Got???, ???Hey Jude???, ???Knock Knock???, and ???Stick By Me??? are my faves.Hunter Davis ??? Girl???s Best Friend (private press) ??? lesbian blue-eyed soulful folk tunes with congas, cowbells and funky basslines?!? My best lesbo record period. NC folks??? please to send me a mint copy??? thanks!

Comments

• Damn man you bored? I could use a hand cleaning all these 45s...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    not bored just in pain and cant walk farther than four or five blocks. im at home listening to records and listening to Fiddler on the Roof. cant knock my sdtk hustle.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    First Class ??? (Sing) Me and My Gemini (All Platinum) ??? the inst. is SOOO dope to me. The vocal side is as nasty. Great tune!

Is this a song about the zodiac sign of Gemini?
    If so, it has to go on my mental "most-wanted list..."

• Larry McGee- We're #1 (Super STEELERS disco)(Boogie Band)- DOUBLE
    Albert Dailey- Day After the Dawn (Columbia)
    Betty Roche- Take the A-Train (Bethlehem)
    Ras Michael + Sons of Negus- Rally round (Shanachie)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Yellow Michigan carpet in full effect! Thanks An*bal!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nice finds drew! whats the "sweeter" record?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    thanks to the homey johnny paycheck for stopping through and dropping these off

the charmels-as long as i've got you 45
    esther williams-last night changed it all 45
    lloyd charmers-skin tight 45
    a 45 i'm not sure if he wants me to talk about

lp's

heaven and earth-i can't seem to forget you
    revoloution-zap pow
    sam dees-the show must go on
    the smith conection lp
    black ivory debut lp

got a long time want thanks to danno3000

los tios queridos-si me ves volar

peace,xavier

• late pass, these are my x-mas digs. Still in the holiday spirit, good cheers and happy digs to all soulstrutters!

let me get that Food lp thun

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

un otro Discoteca lp?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    late pass, these are my x-mas digs. Still in the holiday spirit, good cheers and happy digs to all soulstrutters!

Is the Food LP a U.S. press??

• Food stays here, US press, green Capitol label.

Otro Sonset, cover is a little beat but vinyl is nice and glossy!

Otro Nightwalkers tambien, but its a little warped

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    cool, are those P.R. finds?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    let me get that Food lp thun

• Yep, how that Food got caught between some Creedence and Grateful Dead I don't know, Santa must have left it for me at my dealer's house. The latin rock joints are from a friend, traded for raer Beatles picture discs.

• Yep, how that Food got caught between some Creedence and Grateful Dead I don't know, Santa must have left it for me at my dealer's house. The latin rock joints are from a friend, traded for raer Beatles picture discs.

You came out on top....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    nice finds drew! whats the "sweeter" record?

It's a funky gospel record with a nice little break and a sample that sounds familiar, but I can't place it. It was definitely a good surprise dig. Maybe I can post some audio when I get back to Pa.

• late pass, these are my x-mas digs. Still in the holiday spirit, good cheers and happy digs to all soulstrutters!

I had that Ricardo Ray and wasn't too into it - but like that Latin Souls alot - nice finds.

Food stays here, US press, green Capitol label.

I've been amazed at some of the foriegn pressings of what are fairly obscure U.S./UK lps.....I've had a Mexican press of Sacred Mushroom, a South American press of July on the Fresa label, Puerto Rican copy of The Nightcrawlers and others......was just wondering if Food came out anywhere other than U.S.??

• From the last two weeks:

O.C. "Born 2 Live" test press and BIG L "Devil's Son" promo

ELVIN SPENCER "Lift This Hurt" on Twinight
    PERCY MILEM on Goldwax
    LINDA PERRY on Helpp
    LARRY FOSTER on Big Beat
    VONT CLAIRES on Double R

• How's Zenith Effluvium (sp?)

d

psychedelic visions is rad

• chrischris 287 Posts
    just wondering if Food came out anywhere other than U.S.??

there's a canadian press.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sell that first Bad Religion for $100. I think I sold it for $200 last year.

RFTC for life!

-M

• How's Zenith Effluvium (sp?)

d

I'm enjoying it. From 1978 and has strong psychedelic leanings but also a bit of a contempory punk/post punk feel (there is a quality to some of the guitar parts that are so 1978 garage band). You can tell the band is trying to stay away from standard song structure...six long songs. Nice record.

How's Zenith Effluvium (sp?)

d

I'm enjoying it. From 1978 and has strong psychedelic leanings but also a bit of a contempory punk/post punk feel (there is a quality to some of the guitar parts that are so 1978 garage band). You can tell the band is trying to stay away from standard song structure...six long songs. Nice record.

Pre-Chesterfield Kings

• Sell that first Bad Religion for $100. I think I sold it for $200 last year.

RFTC for life!

-M

Actually, it's their second. I will gladly sell it. The first one ("How Could Hell Be Worse")....PRICELESS

• nice find on that gene clark lp! does it have the poster inside?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    finally finally fiiiiiiiiiiinally got me two collectro joints that ive been wanting for waaay too long, string beat and 24 carat black,.... feel like a junkie strung out on some good shit

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Sell that first Bad Religion for $100. I think I sold it for $200 last year.

-M

That BR record is oh so fucking horrible.