Repair or sell? (MPC2000XL related)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
The pads on my MPC2000XL stopped working after I installed an internal zip drive a while ago. I think something got loose when I took it apart. I have tried everything I could think of and read about to fix it myself and it has not worked. I live in Hawaii and there are no "certified technicians" here and I do not want to take it to an electronics store that has no previous experience working with MPCs. I checked VST Service's website and their prices seem kinda reasonable but shipping to and from there would probably be almost as much as the repairs.I was thinking of selling my MPC and buying a new MPC (don't know which one) but I am unsure if that would be a good idea because I really like the 2000XL. I also don't want to spend a good amount of money repairing my MPC only to have it break later on for some reason or another. A good thing is that I have the 8 outs, efx board, flash ROM (I see it in the MPC, but it doesn't seem to work haha) and a few SCSI zip drives and regular ones I could sell with it. That should bring in a decent amount of cash, I guess.Bottom line:repairs = at least 300, I'm guessing (without parts which I don't think would be necessary)sale = at least 600 if not moreWhat would you do? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ;_;

two hours and thirty minutes left at work

• if you like it fix it. this place fixes WHILE YOU WAIT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. shipping could be a mother.
    http://www.vstservice.com/
    oh. . .you already said that huh? peace, stein. . .

• sorry to hear about your mpc i know that sucks
    more then likely you just either
    a... unpluged something
    b....you blew something up trying to install the zip.
    either problem can be fixed very cheap.
    i would say try taking the zip out and then seeing what happens.
    i mean go back and re-trace the steps you used to install the zip.
    see if it is a circut thing.
    the mpc is a tad touchy when it comes to installing things.
    one thing though
    be sure you are grounded when you work on the machine as static electricity can fry your machine hard.
    i guess i would take the zip out and see if that helps.
    if not or you have tried that and it has not worked i would send it away( insured)
    and let the pros do it.
    they can sweep up the bug and give you a clean machine for a lot less then a new one would cost.
    hope it works out for ya
    ps
    i saw that you had the flash rom installed
    maybe its something with that
    you have to set the source channel on the zip and maybe there is some confusion
    within the machine and it is shutting down things .
    i know that its easy to fry memory in the mpc and maybe you should think about geting some new memory chips.
    peace.

• YO DUDE!!
    Without trying to sound snobbish I assume you dont know alot about Computer hardware. Because your problem sounds like the oldest one in hardware history : you just accidently loosened a ribboncable (flat grey cables with white connectors(?)). Often when moving MPCs, travelling or just replacing ram these Cables come off a little and the data wont be able to pass through the machine.

So what you should do is, buy a can of air-spray to dust out the grimey parts in your mpc if its dirty, reseat all of those connectors at the end of ribbon cables and give it a try. It could always be something else, but since it happened right after installing the zip where you also have to replace certain ribbon cables I'm pretty sure your baby should be fine after only 5 minutes of work.

Drop a line to let us know how it went,...
    peace & merry xmas foolios
    eerie daily

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've tried EVERYTHING possible with the ribbon and I was still unable to get the pads to work. I tried taking the zip drive out and messing around with stuff and I still couldn't get it to work. I ain't no expert with electronics but I'm conmfortable enough to fuck around with shit and I've spent at least eight or so hours myself trying to get shit to work. I guess if I have time this weekend I'll try to play around with it a bit more but it's pretty much a lost cause to me at this point. I guess I should have been more clear in my initial post about what I tried so far