what you know about Dr John *in the right place?

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There is a record called Levon Helm's RCO Allstars. No doubt you all have seen it, it has a die cut cover. Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper join Levon Helm of the Band and DR John for a laid back Woodstock hippy soul set. Worth a listen.

Ok now, 3 FAVORITE DR JOHN SONGS?

Such A Nite "If I don't do it, somebody else will". From the RCO All Stars Lp.
    Rite Away (with the line "Women are the root of all evil, money is bad but it's legal.)
    Walk On Gilded Splinters

Dan

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There is a record called Levon Helm's RCO Allstars. No doubt you all have seen it, it has a die cut cover. Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper join Levon Helm of the Band and DR John for a laid back Woodstock hippy soul set. Worth a listen.

is there a song on there called "sing sing sing?" i remember seeing helm and the RCO All-Stars on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE with Dr. John singing lead on that cut, really nice.

is there a song on there called "sing sing sing?" i remember seeing helm and the RCO All-Stars on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE with Dr. John singing lead on that cut, really nice.

Yes Sing Sing Sing is on that.

I don't have a copy here, but I just put on Right Place. I also have Destively Booneroo and Tango Place I will listen to next.

Dan

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    man it's all about JET SET yo!!

now WHAT WAS THE DEAL with that one? wasn't it on some dance-music label like streetwise, back in the 80's? no one ever talks about this. i dont even think dr. john mentioned this in his autobio. is he trying to do rap or house music or something?

Very recommended, especially the B-side instrumental version, dopeass electrofunk, track produced by Duke Bootee...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dazed and confused soundtrack

now WHAT WAS THE DEAL with that one? wasn't it on some dance-music label like streetwise, back in the 80's? no one ever talks about this. i dont even think dr. john mentioned this in his autobio. is he trying to do rap or house music or something?

Very recommended, especially the B-side instrumental version, dopeass electrofunk, track produced by Duke Bootee...

Naaah, I'll pass on an instrumental version - electrofunk's not really my shot, so no Dr. John, no listen! (Unless he laid some Crescent City piano all over Duke's instrumental track, which I doubt...)

Dope or nope?

any solid tunes? Or just good for breaks?

cheers.

1) Just gave it another listen. Worth having, Right Place (the hit) and Qualified are great cuts. The whole lp is solid.

2) The song was a top ten hit, the LP reached #23, which is high. Still it is not as common as a lot of other 1973 records. I am guessing that it didn't stay in print as long as a lot of other Atlantic records because it has a gimmick cover that was expensive to produce. It is an always in demand record because rock guys dig it also. I don't think there is any shame in paying $10-20 for a mint copy. If you don't need mint you could dig around and find a play copy for less.

I don't think I have ever seen that Streetwise thing. 12" only?

Dan

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Naaah, I'll pass on an instrumental version - electrofunk's not really my shot, so no Dr. John, no listen! (Unless he laid some Crescent City piano all over Duke's instrumental track, which I doubt...)

The Doctor actually does recite a couple of his gris gris rhymes on the A-side along with the original text, and I think he plays a tiny bit of piano too, a short few bars here and there, but its kinda low in the mix...uknowwhatimsayin..
    Anyways,... Im not sure if heads know this,.. Dr John cut a version of Guilted Splinters around the same time (1983) with a swedish jazzfunk group, Per Cussion All Stars,..the album entitled Don't Stop also features a track (The Warning) with oldschool rapper Grandmaster Funk...
    peace-

Dope or nope?

cheers.

1) Just gave it another listen. Worth having, Right Place (the hit) and Qualified are great cuts. The whole lp is solid.

2) The song was a top ten hit, the LP reached #23, which is high. Still it is not as common as a lot of other 1973 records. I am guessing that it didn't stay in print as long as a lot of other Atlantic records because it has a gimmick cover that was expensive to produce. It is an always in demand record because rock guys dig it also. I don't think there is any shame in paying $10-20 for a mint copy. If you don't need mint you could dig around and find a play copy for less.

$10 seems like too much. That LP ain't exactly a collector's item where I live - $5-6 is more like it, specially with a hit single on board, but then again that may be a regional thing. (It was also reissued on CD at some point.)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    $10 is a great price. Sure you can find it for cheaper if you quest but this is hardly worth questing for. Mint copies get $15-20 out here.

$10 is a great price. Sure you can find it for cheaper if you quest

Hmmm, seems like I've seen it on the cheap tip without having to "quest," as you say. I'm not doubting you, but I guess it just depends where you're at.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    can cats get rickets?
    i know cats can get high

Rickets is lack of Vitamin D. Vitamin D comes from the sun and is absorbed in the foods people/animals eat. The key element is if Vitamin D is core to cat functioning. Cats most like can't get scurvy because Vitamin C isn't/shouldn't be on the top of the charts in regards to essential vitamins and minerals, so I would think that this might apply to vitamin D as well (calcium bowel absorption in humans prolly doesn't parlay to cat digestion).

Answer: On the fence, perhaps .

Peace
    T.N.

Dope or nope?

cheers.

$10 seems like too much. That LP ain't exactly a collector's item where I live - $5-6 is more like it, specially with a hit single on board, but then again that may be a regional thing. (It was also reissued on CD at some point.)

I know this is not how strutters think, but... It is reissued. The reish vinyl will cost you $9-12, the cd about $15. Unless you think reissues are more valuable than a NM original I can see no shame in paying $10-20 for the NM original.

On the other hand Craig Moerer has a VG+ for $15 now, so he would probably price the NM at $18. So I will say that $18 is the absolute top you should pay for NM.

Dan