what you know about Dr John *in the right place?

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Dope or nope?any solid tunes? Or just good for breaks?cheers.

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Definitely not his best, but a nice LP nevertheless.

Gris-Gris is my shit.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

"I'm Serious!"

• slushslush 691 Posts
    gris gris is everyone's shit
    as long as your ears aren't painted on

babylon is my shit

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what is that cat's name?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Rickets

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    His last three LP's were but awright if you keep in mind he did drop some stinkers on us in the 80s.

• Options
    Rickets

LOCAL SLANG ALERT!!!!!!!!!

Rickets = Crack rocks.

because it has rickets?

or because it smokes rock?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Definitely not his best, but a nice LP nevertheless

i agree, but you cant go wrong with "right place, wrong time," which was such a big hit in '73 that it was played on both black and white stations

• slushslush 691 Posts
    can cats get rickets?
    i know cats can get high

steak a la gris gris. calimbo calimbo

• Dude, go pick that shit up. It's not a hard to find album or expensive. It's good music. Listen to it and decide for yourself.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dope or nope?

any solid tunes? Or just good for breaks?

cheers.

This contains his one top 40 hit. Not raer. All his stuff is worth at least one listen.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    His last three LP's were but awright if you keep in mind he did drop some stinkers on us in the 80s.

I was about to trade in his last CD, but I found myself listening to it, especially the tracks with Eddoe Bo and Cyril Neville, and I kept it.

I didn't mind Duke Elegant[/b], but it has a break on it so you can't shy away from a good beat.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Dope or nope?

any solid tunes? Or just good for breaks?

cheers.

Great Great Great LP
    Meters back him up, Toussaint produced it(I think-someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    and has some of his finest tunes ever.

His best FUNKY LP. Not his best overall, but I would say 2nd best after Gris Gris. His other weird LPs(like Babylon and Remedies), though preferred by people like me, can get a little hippie-weird-for-weird-drug-LP for a lot of folks. I suggest checking all his Atlantic LPs, especially Desatively Bonaroo

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    or buy the Blossom tv series DVD and watch the theme song repeatedly

and if you get sick of it, u can watch joey lawrence do his impression of black rob and be like "whoa"

I didn't mind Duke Elegant[/b], but it has a break on it so you can't shy away from a good beat.

i can, if there's nothing good happening on top of it

as far as recent dr. john, he had a pretty good one on the revived blue thumb label about ten years ago - i forget the title, but it included "there must be a better world somewhere"

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man it's all about JET SET yo!!

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    But, what do we all really* know about Dr. John?

Nah seriously, thanks for the info y'all.

Just happen to see this piece for 12 bones, so wanted to get some insight on its dopeness before i dropped the loot. I'm sold.

holluer!

man it's all about JET SET yo!!

now WHAT WAS THE DEAL with that one? wasn't it on some dance-music label like streetwise, back in the 80's? no one ever talks about this. i dont even think dr. john mentioned this in his autobio. is he trying to do rap or house music or something?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Wasn't "Right Place" a top 10 hit? My dad gave me mine so I assume so. Should be able to find it for a buck, no?

Desatively Bonaroo

I would really like to own the instrumental to "Stealing" off this record. Take away the vox it sounds like it could be an outtake from LookaPyPy. I just can't do John's voice.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    jet set is an electro boogie cut.. with dr john doin his spoken wordy pseudo rappy stlye over it.

dope cut.

• dj_processdj_process 11 Posts
    And the Meters are the backing band which I think makes it worth it. They have some cool keyboard sounds on that album, dunno what they are. Anybody?

Wasn't "Right Place" a top 10 hit?

like we've said a couple times before in this thread, yes!

Wasn't "Right Place" a top 10 hit?

like we've said a couple times before in this thread, yes!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

BLOSSOM LIKE WHOA!

step off.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Good LP and has more than one track to listen to. Allen Toussaint production, and has been mentioned, the Meters are the backing band. Check a review.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=D&page=8

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    step off.

true story, Stacy Keenan (then Anastasia Sagorsky) was my 5th grade girlfriend. Best 4 days of my life!

• Great Great Great LP
    Meters back him up, Toussaint produced it(I think-someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    and has some of his finest tunes ever.

His best FUNKY LP. Not his best overall, but I would say 2nd best after Gris Gris.

"Such a night" gets me all fuzzy inside