Folk Rock LP's by Black Dudes

2»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    jimmie and vella...i know this thread is about dudes but this duo is the shit.

these fuckers sold out and went modern soul in '78

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    so did patrice rushen and i love her too...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    had I known he was black I would have held onto to it.

I'm not entirely sure I follow you here

I think he means, he would have gotten paid for it first, then held on to it for a long time, before he actually sent it out.

• had I known he was black I would have held onto to it.

I'm not entirely sure I follow you here

I think he means, he would have gotten paid for it first, then held on to it for a long time, before he actually sent it out.

thanks for clarifying...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    tony mason

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

John Bassette on Tinkertoo
    (There's three, but only one is listenable)

you probably mean a different one than the below 'only looks like fire' item.

Man what a disappointing record! Such a great cover though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Don Crawford - although he is really more folk without much of the rock, his LP Roots & Branches on Roulette from 1970 has a pretty full accompaniment, and some rock um...energy to it. Pretty solid LP, actually, worth picking up if you see it. He has an earlier LP on Verve Folkways that I have seen but never heard, although I expect it to be more along the lines of straight coffeehouse folk than the 1970 LP...I am curious to know if he is the same Don Crawford who has soul 45's on Scepter from a couple years prior to that.

• tony mason

Doo-doo, and so is Bassette (thanks Mole!)

• Danny Cox

Does he have anything other than that Live at the Family Dog. I couldn't get into that...Hair covers and such.

My Favorite...

• Cleveland Francis - Follow Me Lp on Suffolk

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    tony mason

Doo-doo, and so is Bassette (thanks Mole!)
    i like the one mellow song with piano and sax. you dont like that track?

• Cleveland Francis - Follow Me Lp on Suffolk

Isn't the label Soul Folk?

• It is indeed Soul Folk. I just gave it a cursory glance.

• Are there any????

I got an LP over the weekend that falls into this category.

"Reflections from a Cracked Mirror" by Billie Joe Beacoat on Fantasy.

It's not as good as I'd hoped it be. It's solid. Mostly just BJB on guitar and vocals w/ some sparse and low-mixed bass and drums accompanying on some of the songs. Kinda follows the "storytelling" route of folk.

I'm guessing you guys didn't mention it cos you'd already sussed out that it's more than not.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

• Who is J Lester?

• ODETTA, but she's not a dude.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Who is J Lester?

I TOLD you mugs about posting kingsize pictures of obscure people nobody knows without identifying them - DAMN! How we s'posed to show some love to a person we don't know from a crack in the sidewalk? [/b]

ANYWAY...Julius Lester was a black revolutionary author who recorded an album or two for Vanguard in the sixties. Although I've never heard them, I really should have mentioned his name when I started a Vanguard Records thread a year ago. So what's the scoop on those albums?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    File Under: pickwick33 appreciation.

Who is J Lester?

I TOLD you mugs about posting kingsize pictures of obscure people nobody knows without identifying them - DAMN! How we s'posed to show some love to a person we don't know from a crack in the sidewalk? [/b]

ANYWAY...Julius Lester was a black revolutionary author who recorded an album or two for Vanguard in the sixties. Although I've never heard them, I really should have mentioned his name when I started a Vanguard Records thread a year ago. So what's the scoop on those albums?

What's the scoop on the albums? Beautiful.

Julius writes childrens books now, for those of you with kids.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    To be truthful, I don't know of many black folk ROCKERS. There were enough straight-up African-American FOLK singers during the hootenanny days to fill a possible Numero Group compilation - Joe & Eddie, Herb Metoyer, Casey Anderson, Len Chandler, Jackie Washington, Julius Lester, Don Crawford, Josh White Jr. - but most never seemed to make the transition to folk-rock. Keep digging through old albums enough and you'll find a surprising number of black artists in that field. I asked Terry Callier about that once, and he admitted that folk was a white-dominated area, but if you were black folkie no one thought it was odd.

And thanks for that Julius Lester soundclip!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Anyone know this? It's "Pieces of a Jigsaw" by Del Richardson. Dunno how folk-rocky it is, but there's one tune, "Jigsaw", that's been comped a few times and is sorta Callier-ish. He used to play guitar for Osibisa and was briefly a member of Free as well.

• I think DONAL LEACE would fit the bill.
    Nice cover of JT??s `Country Road?? highlighting his 1972 Atlantic album
    (with Purdie and Jemmott).