What kinda turntable do you have?

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
My current record player is probably my favorite one I've ever had, it's a Denon DP-1100 direct drive. Just curious, what do you guys and gals spin your raers on?

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    For me it's turntables. 2 classic 1200mk2s are set up. Here's a pic of them with some cash.

I have two 1200mk3d's in boxes as well. For all you non-DJ's out there, the company's Technics[/b].

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Technics SL-1500

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    one working 1200, one in traction and my big bird make my cypher complete

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    2 * 1200 with M447's

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    2 oldass 1200's.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    2 oldass 1200's.

those be the best...

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    2 Gemini SL-500II

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    2 oldass 1200's.

speaking of which does anybody know how to date them based on serial numbers or anything like that??

id be curious to find out exactly how "oldass" mine are.

sure white labels for the carts incidently.

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    My current record player is probably my favorite one I've ever had, it's a Denon DP-1100 direct drive. Just curious, what do you guys and gals spin your raers on?

i have a denon dp-3000 direct drive with a sumiko mmt tonearm and grado gold cartridge that is sort of my work horse. looks like this:

but my mantle piece is the oracle alexandria mk2 belt drive with sumiko mmt tonearm and blue point special cartridge. what a kick ass turntable! looks like this:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Nice! My denon looks similar to that, very UFO-esque.

Nice! My denon looks similar to that, very UFO-esque.

my denon looks basically like that photo but with darker wood and a black sumiko mmt.

that whole series of denons in the mid to late 70s are really incredible turntables. very underrated outside of japan where audiophiles go pretty nuts over them. i think when these came out, they did not necessarily include the plinth and so, in japan, you tend to see some pretty crazy custom setups on oversized plinths, like this:

the dp-3000 was the nicest of the budget versions of the heavy hitters in the series, which were the 5000 and 6000. i've yet to come across a 5000 or 6000 but i keep a little stash of cash so i can pull the trigger when i do.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I have a Denon direct drive joint. I run it through a Rotel RQ-970 BX phono pre amp. What type of phono pre amp do you guys use?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I'm rocking a Champion:

Peace

h

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    I have a Denon direct drive joint. I run it through a Rotel RQ-970 BX phono pre amp. What type of phono pre amp do you guys use?

I'm using one of these at moment with a Dynavector 10X5 moving coil cartridge, the second turntable has a Shure V-15VX mounted.

i've never seen that rotel. how is it? how do you adjust the gain on it?

i am currently using the internal phono stage of my integrated for the denon and a grado ph-1 preamp for the oracle.

the grado's very good for the money but there are only high and low options for the gain, which some people don't like.

too rich for my blood at retail or even used, i'd love to stumble across an audio research ph1 at a garage sale...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Do you really rock one of these? If so, I'm curious about what it's like. And how much do those things cost?

I'm using one of these at moment with a Dynavector 10X5 moving coil cartridge, the second turntable has a Shure V-15VX mounted.

i've been thinking about swapping my sumiko blue point for a dynavector 10X5. have you ever compared the two?

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts

i've been thinking about swapping my sumiko blue point for a dynavector 10X5. have you ever compared the two?

Never heard the Sumiko, but the Dynavector sounds incredible, just needs care taken as with any other MC carts, great sound.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

Do you really rock one of these?

Oh HELL NO. (hence the )
    i think they're ~10K. I'm curious about how it works too. they only play black vinyl and i understand the vinyl has to be pretty clean (although it can play cracked records?)
    the place i work for was considering getting one (which i think would be a waste of $$)

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    ... and this is the other TT, direct drive Thorens with + and - 16 pitch adjustment.

Currently stowed til I move

Never heard the Sumiko, but the Dynavector sounds incredible, just needs care taken as with any other MC carts, great sound.

yeah, i think i am gonna switch both of my tables to high output mc. it definitely sounds better than mm.

• harman kardon t45c right now.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Not to hijack this thread, but what do you think is the highest quality turntable out there with an AUTO-RETURN feature? I can't be getting up every twenty minutes to lift a needle. I have things to do!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    2 1200 Mk2s, but actually I'm usually listening to records in the bedroom or my kid's room on the Fisher Price. When I'm out and abuot I have a Mister Disc.

• innersourceinnersource 111 Posts
    Not to hijack this thread, but what do you think is the highest quality turntable out there with an AUTO-RETURN feature? I can't be getting up every twenty minutes to lift a needle. I have things to do!!!

This sony turntable is nice and heavy and all automatic...mine has an old Grado GT cartridge and sounds amazing.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Do you really rock one of these? If so, I'm curious about what it's like. And how much do those things cost?

Hi,

I demoed one of these w/ Danno3000 - Aside from the 10,000 price tag, the main reason to not pick one up is that they sound like crap. ANY damage to the lp results in the loudest surface noise you'll ever hear. A weird thing: the laser goes straight through colored vinyl. It won't read the disc.

Props to the dude w/ the rotel & creek phono stages. That's some good stuff. I got a rega hooked up to my clearaudio champion.

peace

h

• Two Vestax PDT-5000s