What's up with "King Kong"? (MR)

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Peter Jackson gone wild.

it seems that once you make an uber-movie it's tough to go back.

he should make a 5 hour 'Moby Dick' with a computer-generated white whale as a follow up...

---

• There was another moment that struck me as really sincere...After Kong kills the T Rex by stretching it's mouth open and crushing it's skull he begins to play with it's jaw in a way that a cat bats around a mouse after it's dead.

• Its great. shit y'all, its a fantasy movie, its fun..some of you chinscratchers sound like you were expecting Citizen Kane. "Dinosaur scenes were unrealistic"? You have some actual dinosaur footage to compare it to? Are you a prehistoric animal biomechanics expert/enthusiast? Fuck, its a remake of a classic movie that Peter Jackson wanted to make because it was the movie that made him want to be a movie maker (I think makes sense as I read it back to myself)...great action/fight scenes, Peter keeps the love story BS to a minimum, no one is annoying in it...its a good flick, no more no less.

As far as special effects, its really good, but "Narnia" had slightly better special effects, some of the shit in "Narnia" was mind blowing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its great. shit y'all, its a fantasy movie, its fun..some of you chinscracthers sound like you were expecting Citizen Kane. "Dinosaur scenes were unrealistic"? You have some actual dinosaur footage to compare it to? Are you a prehistoric animal biomechanics expert/enthusiast? Fuck, its a remake of a classic movie that Peter Jackson wanted to make because it was the movie that made him want to be a movie maker (I think makes sense as I read it back to myself)...great action/fight scenes, Peter keeps the love story BS to a minimum, no one is annoying in it...its a good flick, no more no less.

Good or great? Would you own it?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "Dinosaur scenes were unrealistic"? You have some actual dinosaur footage to compare it to? Are you a prehistoric animal biomechanics expert/enthusiast?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    There was another moment that struck me as really sincere[/b] ...After Kong kills the T Rex by stretching it's mouth open and crushing it's skull he begins to play with it's jaw in a way that a cat bats around a mouse after it's dead.

SG

• great flick, my bad in my typing...yes, I will buy a copy when it comes out.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    "Dinosaur scenes were unrealistic"? You have some actual dinosaur footage to compare it to? Are you a prehistoric animal biomechanics expert/enthusiast?.

you have to admit that the scene with the stampede through the gorge (or whatever), with masses of giant dinos, and people running *at the same speed* between the legs of the dinos was ust a little unrealistic?

I know I wouldn' be able to outrun stampeding elephants, let alone a giant whatever-saurus... that's all.

as long as you keep in mind that this movie is supposed to be over the top, unrealistic, you can enjoy it - I did

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I loved it. 3 hours of wellmade escapeism. Peter Jackson kept it close to the original '33 story which is a good thing IMO, and I thought the script had a good balance of character exploration and action/FX. The relationship between Kong and Ann Darrow is integral, and the plot just wouldn't be the same without it, teary eyes or not. At least he toned down the cheesy softerotic nuances that the '76 version had. Dinosaurs = great, giant cockroaches = great. Remember that Skull Island is supposed to be a 'lost world', so i find these elements quite natural. As mentioned before, this was also a part of the '33 version. I think Jackson did a really good job on making Kong somewhat 'human', and not just a one-dimensional monster. This is also an essential part of the story, methinks. There are a lot of breathtaking scenes in Jackson's movie. The final scene on the top of the Empire State building was my favorite. Go see it if you like a good, solid adventure movie with a little bit of depth to it.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I loved the love-sex scene. Not very realistic though.

I loved the love-sex scene. Not very realistic though.

I take it you're talking about Jessica Lange in '76 now, right? That was pretty ridicoulus and pervy. Rumour has it that she originally had a line which went something like "you're/it's so big!", or something like that which eventually ended up being cut out of the final film.

'76 Lange was pretty yummy, though

• JESSICA LANG = GOAT MILF

• can someone tell me why they did a remake of a perfectly good movie. i understand the technology is better for a remake but what about original ideas in the movies, what happened to that?

oh i remember why to make bucket loads of money. and it makes more money if you don't really hire great writers and subsidize that with lots and lots of cgi graphics.

i guess i answered my own question.

dave

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

CoSiGN

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    can someone tell me why they did a remake of a perfectly good movie. i understand the technology is better for a remake but what about original ideas in the movies, what happened to that?

oh i remember why to make bucket loads of money. and it makes more money if you don't really hire great writers and subsidize that with lots and lots of cgi graphics.

dave

They're remaking EVERYTHING. Starsky & Hutch as a movie, I just saw an ad for the Poseidon Adventure of all movies. Next thing, it'll be Airport 07 or something.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    can someone tell me why they did a remake of a perfectly good movie. i understand the technology is better for a remake but what about original ideas in the movies, what happened to that?

dave

They're remaking EVERYTHING. Starsky & Hutch as a movie, I just saw an ad for the Poseidon Adventure of all movies. Next thing, it'll be Airport 07 or something.

Yeah man, the Poseidon trailers are already out - same guy who directed "The Perfect Storm" which means, this time, he gets the fuck with an even BIGGER boat and even BIGGER wave. Uh...

The trailers to Miami Vice? SO NOT A GOOD LOOK, especially Colin Farrell with a bad looking mustache. Somewhere, Don Johnson is pouring another shot.

dave

You're partly wrong here. I think this was more the case with Dino De Laurentiis, who claimed that his production would surpass "Jaws", the biggest blockbuster from the previous year. Of course money will always be an issue when it comes to a big Hollywood production, and Jackson undoubtedly has some very fat pockets right now. I just don't think it's his main motivation for making the film. All I've heard him talk about is his love for the original version and how it inspired him to make his own films, and I do believe that. Every generation needs new takes on those classic, epic stories like "Romeo And Juliet", "Frankenstein" or whatever. "King Kong" is one of those stories, and I see anything wrong with trying to make it relevant to a new audience if the result is good, which I think it is.

*Edit* OK, I'm not talking about stuff like Miami Vice, Poseidon and Airport 07. That shit is corny. Y'all know what I mean???stuff like Coppolla's Dracula *Edit*

• edubedub 715 Posts

The trailers to Miami Vice? SO NOT A GOOD LOOK, especially Colin Farrell with a bad looking mustache. Somewhere, Don Johnson is pouring another shot.

every movie must have its own thread... movie-strut, like whut??!

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. "KK" can't be treated as strictly a money-making scheme:

1) Jackson has said, many times, that "KK" was one of the films that inspired him to become a filmmaker.
    2) If you want to make $$$, you don't make a 3 hour film since that limits how many times it can be shown in a day.
    3) There's definitely a lot of CGI but Jackson isn't like Lucas with all digital effects. Jackson loves modeling and he spends an enormous amount of his budget getting WETA to create realistic minatures for his movies, including "KK." Not to say the green screen didn't get mondo love though.

dave

You're partly wrong here. I think this was more the case with Dino De Laurentiis, who claimed that his production would surpass "Jaws", the biggest blockbuster from the previous year. Of course money will always be an issue when it comes to a big Hollywood production, and Jackson undoubtedly has some very fat pockets right now. I just don't think it's his main motivation for making the film. All I've heard him talk about is his love for the original version and how it inspired him to make his own films, and I do believe that. Every generation needs new takes on those classic, epic stories like "Romeo And Juliet", "Frankenstein" or whatever. "King Kong" is one of those stories, and I see anything wrong with try
    ing making it relevant to a new audience if the result is good, which I think it is.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

1) Jackson has said, many times, that "KK" was one of the films that inspired him to become a filmmaker.

So we own those "Lord of the rings" t??rds to a hairy beast?

So we own those "Lord of the rings" t??rds to a hairy beast?

I'm digging your umlaut style

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So does it haves sherpas in it or what?

sherpa sherpa sherpa sherpa sherpa sherpa sherpa sherpa sherpa

• pretty exciting... it was fun to watch, king kong vs. 3 tyrannosaures rex'es? shit!

im just curious as to how they got king kong all the way from the island to the states? wtf?!

-rich

• pretty exciting... it was fun to watch, king kong vs. 3 tyrannosaures rex'es? shit!

im just curious as to how they got king kong all the way from the island to the states? wtf?!

-rich

On a large barge. You must have dozed off during that part.

• edubedub 715 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    giant cockroaches = great.

Just got back from seeing the movie, and those puppies werent cockroaches, they were weta's, (http://weta.boarsnest.net/) New Zealand native insects, I guess it was an in-joke form the boys at the Weta workshop.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    pretty exciting... it was fun to watch, king kong vs. 3 tyrannosaures rex'es? shit!

-rich

I thought that was King Kong vs Godzilla.

In that movie they also introduced the floating version of King Kong as well

pretty exciting... it was fun to watch, king kong vs. 3 tyrannosaures rex'es? shit!

-rich

I thought that was King Kong vs Godzilla.

In that movie they also introduced the floating version of King Kong as well

Japanese ingeniousness =

Edub nailed king schlong on the bullseye.

I feel mad dirty reading this.