Firefox Internet Explorer Users Beware

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4527992.stmBrowser users urged to patch upLogo for Firefox browser, Mozilla FoundationBoth IE and Firefox are vulnerable to the bugsWindows users are being warned about a bug that lets attackers take over a PC via the Internet Explorer browser.The bug made possible webpages that can compromise a PC without a user spotting the attack, Microsoft warned.Code to exploit the bug was circulating online which led Microsoft to label the bug "critical" and said users should apply a patch immediately.At the same time a similar bug was found to be affecting the rival Firefox web browser.Double troubleMicrosoft released patches for three other browser bugs and all the warnings came as part of the software company's regular monthly security updates.The critical bug in Internet Explorer arises because of the way it works with other programs across computer networks.If properly exploited the bug would allow an attacker to download a program onto a victim's PC and take remote control of that machine.Security firm Symantec said it had seen the loophole being exploited online.In the same MS05-054 security update, Microsoft released software that closes three other loopholes in the Internet Explorer browser.One of these bugs is also considered "critical" but Microsoft said there was no evidence that code to exploit it was available online.One of the other fixes that Microsoft supplied in this month's update tackles some of the issues raised by music maker Sony BMG's troubles over its copy control programs.These were found to leave machines vulnerable to several different exploits, but the update makes it impossible for the insecure versions of the Sony BMG software to run.Windows users were urged to download and apply all the patches immediately.As Microsoft was issuing warnings about the critical bug in its browser, the makers of the popular rival browser Firefox were releasing details of a similar problem with its program.The bug found in the Firefox browser would also allow attackers to download code via well-crafted websites that hands control over to them.Patching the bug became more urgent as a hacker posted computer code to exploit the bug to a website at the weekend.Firefox owner and maintainer Mozilla said the loophole was closed in recent updates to its browser but urged all users to ensure that they had this patch applied or to upgrade to the new version of the Firefox browser.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    sooo,
    should anyone with wondows d/l this patch?

it's all greek to me.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    glad I have a mac

• sooo,

it's all greek to me.

http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-1.5&os=win&lang=en-US

• sooo,

it's all greek to me.

whats this? the newest version that I need to DL to cover my ass from all these worms,bugs, and horses?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hi, i have windows XP, and i am computer illiterate.

where and what should i download to get these "patch" thinga-ma-jigs?

thanks.

• sooo,

it's all greek to me.

whats this? the newest version that I need to DL to cover my ass from all these worms,bugs, and horses?

As far as I know it does, it just came out the other day.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Yeah, I'm proud of my browser.

- spidey

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    sooo,

it's all greek to me.

As far as I know it does, it just came out the other day.

Added security -> Firefox + No Script extension...

• Firefox users!!! Make sure all your Extensions work with the new version. I had some trouble when I upgraded. Wouldn't open at all except in safe mode. Uninstalled all my extensions to fix it. There were a few that said they weren't compatible with the new version when I tried to re-install them.

I also wish mozilla would have a "top 10 extensions" list for each category of extension, or allow you to browse by # of downloads or something... I hate digging through the alphabetical listings. Fucking lame waste of time! Just give me the popular shit at the top!! It's popular for a reason! [/end rant]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was using firefox on my work computer yesterday and got screwed. XP won't load... I can't really re-install at work without my boss getting into the picture. So, today I just brought my SLAX boot disc and booted up off the CD and I'm rollin'

I was worried no soulstrut from work today...

Yippee-ki-yay...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    glad I have a mac

The only reason people don't attack MAC's is it's not worth the time/effort. Why program something to affect 0.001% of the computer world?

lol

• glad I have a mac

The only reason people don't attack MAC's is it's not worth the time/effort. Why program something to affect 0.001% of the computer world?

lol

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    glad I have a mac

lol

More bang for your buck (no ayo!) theory... Which holds forth in this case too b/c of the growing popularity of Firefox amongst PC users...

glad I have a mac

lol

But it's almost like most MAC users are beggin' to get targeted... I'd just keep my mouth shut and enjoy my "stable" box.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    glad I have a mac

lol

it plays a big part, but rather short sighted if you call it the sole reason.

The fact that Symantec has found no viruses for Mac indicates that there is little if any reason to even bother running anti-virus software on computers running Mac OS X or Linux. It also indicates a vulnerability to viruses that is fundamental to the design of Microsoft Windows that is absent from Unix based operating systems such as Linux.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    glad I have a mac

lol

it plays a big part, but rather short sighted if you call it the sole reason.

The fact that Symantec has found no viruses for Mac indicates that there is little if any reason to even bother running anti-virus software on computers running Mac OS X or Linux. It also indicates a vulnerability to viruses that is fundamental to the design of Microsoft Windows that is absent from Unix based operating systems such as Linux.

Sucks. Use Staroffice or something.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i don't know if it's coincidence or what, but since yesterday my computer has taken FOREVER for explorer to get going. it's not the connection, because once it finds a webpage it works fine, but when i open it, it just sits there like a fucking moron while it says "detecting proxy settings" and like 5 minutes later it finally opens a page.

anyone have any idea what's going on?

• I must have gotten this virus. I came back from work on tuesday and it appeared as though someone had been typing gibberish on my keyboard in response to an IM, but didn't send it. I know no one was in my apartment, so I had narrowed it down to a mouse or a ghost. Now it makes more sense.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

i don't know if it's coincidence or what, but since yesterday my computer has taken FOREVER for explorer to get going. it's not the connection, because once it finds a webpage it works fine, but when i open it, it just sits there like a fucking moron while it says "detecting proxy settings" and like 5 minutes later it finally opens a page.

Is this a problem you're experiencing w/ other browsers? If so, then it may be an issue w/ your ISP - as in someone's pulled your line card (i.e. 'A printed circuit board that provides a transmitting/receiving port for a particular protocol. Line cards plug into a telco switch, network switch, router or other communications device.') - get on the 'phone and navigate through those automated maze...

Is this a problem you're experiencing w/ other browsers? If so, then it may be an issue w/ your ISP - as in someone's pulled your line card (i.e. 'A printed circuit board that provides a transmitting/receiving port for a particular protocol. Line cards plug into a telco switch, network switch, router or other communications device.') - get on the 'phone and navigate through those automated maze...

don't have other browsers (i'm on the home computer, which is my girlfriends). so you think i should call the explorer tech support? it doesn't seem to be the internet connection because once it gets going its fine.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

don't have other browsers (i'm on the home computer, which is my girlfriends). so you think i should call the explorer tech support? it doesn't seem to be the internet connection because once it gets going its fine.

No router right?

You could try cleaning out your cache/temporary internet files (use http://www.ccleaner.com to do a proper/thorough job - it's free and NO spyware whatsoever); if that doesn't help matters, I'd actually contact the ISP - if loading a page is taking a long time, sounds more like an issue w/ your ISP versus IE itself...

Is there any way you can check concerning another browser w/ Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com - use the newest version: 1.5)? - if you get the same response, then it's more than likely your ISP...

• glad I have a mac

^^^^^^^thinking same thing

No router right?

You could try cleaning out your cache/temporary internet files (use http://www.ccleaner.com to do a proper/thorough job - it's free and NO spyware whatsoever); if that doesn't help matters, I'd actually contact the ISP - if loading a page is taking a long time, sounds more like an issue w/ your ISP versus IE itself...

Is there any way you can check concerning another browser w/ Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com - use the newest version: 1.5)? - if you get the same response, then it's more than likely your ISP...

thanks for the help PEK. i ran the crap cleaner. the funny thing is that now explorer still takes longer to pull up the first page than it did yesterday (before this started happenning), but it just takes 30 seconds instead of several minutes now. so something is weird still.

i have to admit that i'm fairly computer illiterate. so i don't know what a router is. when you say i should contact the isp does that mean i should contact my internet connection provider?

computer dummy in the house!

seriously, thanks a bunch PEK.

I would grab firefox like PEK said.

It's a small download and it's pretty solid.

Try it out and if you still got probs. Contact ur ISP *Internet Service Provider* They can run a test on ur line ASAP and see if anything comes up.

But give firefox a go. You might like it better.

I would grab firefox like PEK said.

It's a small download and it's pretty solid.

Try it out and if you still got probs. Contact ur ISP *Internet Service Provider* They can run a test on ur line ASAP and see if anything comes up.

But give firefox a go. You might like it better.

Thanks DOR and PEK. i'll give firefox a go.

soulstrut wins again.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i keep blocking something that is trying to d/l. it's an IE Toolbar. i wonder if this is the bug?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    i keep blocking something that is trying to d/l. it's an IE Toolbar. i wonder if this is the bug?

Sounds like you've got a browser hijack -

Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Spybot
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyblaster
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spy Sweeper (free trial)
    http://www.webroot.com/consumer/downloads/

And then switch over to Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/) and use the following extension for safer surfing - No Script (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=722&application=firefox) - allow only websites you're confident about content...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

psst..

- spidey