Actors That Have Put Out Records?

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I've been gone for a few years so I'm guessing this may may have been a topic - but what other actors have put out LPs where they take themselves seriously? By this I mean stuff in the vein of:Dudley MooreCybil SheppardChevy ChaseLeonard NimoyAnd any other ones besides the the Leonard Nimoy, the one Cybil Sheppard and the Dudley Moore joints any good? (The Chevy Chase record blows in my opinion)

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think Nimoy knew he was a joke.

Scott Baio made an opus in the early 80's Richard Roundtree did an album in '72 that the Rev McD produced.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Did Bruce Willis take himself seriously on The Return of Bruno?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Gary Busey was in the band Carp that had an LP on Epic

Don Johnson was in the band Horses on White Whale

Joe Montagna was in a band out of Chicago called The Apocryphals

Billy Bob Thornton was in the band Tres Hombres that put out one local LP

Solo

Joe Pesci
    Bob Crane
    Crispin Glover

Many many more......

• Worst record by an actor (and maybe ever) is Joey Bishop's opus "Joey Bishop Sings Country and Western." Wish I could find a scan for it. Great cover.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'd tap

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I think Nimoy knew he was a joke.

Scott Baio made an opus in the early 80's Richard Roundtree did an album in '72 that the Rev McD produced.

The Nimoy LPs are pretty fresh actually - peep em if ya aint done done it already.

• Dude none are fucking with Shatner.

• edubedub 715 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

david hemmings. he was in the blow up and i believe his last role was in the film gangs of new york.
    this record is awesome. i let it go on ebay this summer, and am regretting it now.
    it was filled with sitars and psych. some of it being pop psych style. he had session musicians on this one and members of the byrds.

also--the droney aspect and hemmings' voice at times reminded me of captain beefheart meets early kim fowley.

• Tim Curry
    Martin Mull

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

david hemmings. he was in the blow up and i believe his last role was in the film gangs of new york.
    this record is awesome. i let it go on ebay this summer, and am regretting it now.
    it was filled with sitars and psych. some of it being pop psych style. he had session musicians on this one and members of the byrds.
    damn, im pretty sure i passed on that before
    your description makes it sound awesome! someone put it in the !!

yeah, dude died a couple of years ago (shortly after gangs of ny came out).
    don't sleep on it if you see it.

• Wrestling is acting.

• -

BOBCAT GOLDTHWAITE'S PUNK BAND:

i just got the 'live' one this past weekend as a reissue.
    fans of classic punk/kbd/buzzcocks/undertones/ramones etc... will like this one.
    it's poppy and good.

more info here --
    http://www.breakmyface.com/bands/trend.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"Eddie James," the lead singer of this group, is actor Edward James Olmos . It's a pretty dope record, acid rock covers of soul songs, including the Parliaments' "(I Wanna) Testify" and a 5-minute freak-out on the "Mickey's Monkey" by the Miracles!

They were regulars on the Sunset Strip scene in LA...here's the band live with EJO going off:

The record is definitely worth seeking out - and can be had for cheap. I got mine on the Bay for under $10.

• damn every now and then I realize that Brig was actually sorta hurt.

• bill cosby

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Wasn't somebody famous in Perth County Conspiracy?

Looked it up...that would be Cedric Smith, Canadian actor most notable, I think, for his role in Road To Avonlea. Good lord how I hated that show.

• Kris Kristofferson

Kris Kristofferson and Martin Mull shouldn't count. They were making records BEFORE they became actors, so they weren't exactly up there with David Hasselhoff. Not the same thing.

As far as Chevy Chase...that album he did in 1980 under his own name was a comedy record. The album he did in the late sixties with the Chameleon Church was before he became an actor, too.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Gabe Caplin should of made one too.

• ahem..

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOTS of Hong Kong actors do at least one record and if it is at least somewhat ok, they do more! Jackie Chan has quite a few bad albums that sell well in Japan. Gordon Liu, Chow Yun Fat and Yuen Biao have all done 45s! Some Hong Kong actors are even more popular as singers like Anita Miu, Jackie Chung and Leon Lai.
    I've got an Anita Mui cover of "Careless Whispers" that is great. George Michael cover in Cantonese? Gotta love it.