what would you put on a roots of heavy metal mix

2»

Comments

• lotsa early 70s "hard rock" that gave birth to metal...

The Hard Stuff
    Fanny Adams
    Incredible Hog
    Tractor
    Toad
    Leafhound
    Jocefus
    Dust
    Sweet "Set me free" tell me this song doesnt sound like 80s metal
    Uli Jon Roth era Scorpions
    any thing from Judas Priest "Sad Wings of Destiny" LP..the first true metal-by-design LP

Damn dude. The only name I recognize out of your post is Judas Priest. I need to educate myself...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• uriah heep

• 21st Century Schizoid Man by king crimson

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

lotsa early 70s "hard rock" that gave birth to metal...

The Hard Stuff
    Fanny Adams
    Incredible Hog
    Tractor
    Toad
    Leafhound
    Jocefus
    Dust
    Sweet "Set me free" tell me this song doesnt sound like 80s metal
    Uli Jon Roth era Scorpions
    any thing from Judas Priest "Sad Wings of Destiny" LP..the first true metal-by-design LP

nice, finally someone is stepping their game up... most of the posts are the hard rock/metal equiv of a funk thread listing james brown and curtis mayfield... where's the raer's?

oh, and Edgar Broughton, the Groundhogs, and the Pink Fairies...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    to the Groundhogs, SPLIT was what like '70?

Really though, its hard to draw a line where heavy British blues rock transforms into metal... plenty of those bands existed before Sabbath... but Sabb gets most of the credit because they put all the elements together- extremely heavy blues rock with dark imagery and lyrics...

Dust isn't exciting to me, though I still have those records... they were like Bang, had an interesting track here and there but aren't really 'that really schitt'...

Always wanted to hear Josephus and Leafhound but I've never had the opportunity...

But there are SO MANY heavy rock bands from the late 60s/70s, many are obscure esp in this country...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    led zeppelin

• I guess I'm just looking at it like "the roots" is meaning bands pre-dating the coining of the genre.

and the genre wasn't coined until after most of the bands were making this kind of music. There was no term "Heavy Metal" when Sabbath's first record came out.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    How about highway star?????