Some call it coincidence....

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
...but I call it providence.

So I'm moving into my new apartment with my lady this weekend and there are many good tidings. First it's waaaay bigger, so that means we both will have more room for our studios (she paints, I scratch). (Which also means a field trip back to cali to bring back some more records is in order). But here's the really cool stuff:

we once again have a BACKYARD!!! which is huge in Brooklyn
we got the landlord to tear up the funky green carpet and expose a really cool hardwood floor

and here's the really REALLY cool stuff:
there were RECORDS IN THE BASEMENT!!! Sam & Dave - (I think) Sweet & Funky Gold, Ahmad Jamal & James Brown - The Big Payback (MINT) and a couple of 'meh' 45s
then we also found one of those oldshcool chesterdrawer type turntables. One of those side table jawns that has a lid in the middle that lifts up and exposed the turntable and radio. It's got the brush on the headshell and everything. Kinda like this:

It's when I saw all that that I knew we chose the right place.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Nice one. I used to have an old ass record player/console like that, it had the most killer bass ever.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Nice one. I used to have an old ass record player/console like that, it had the most killer bass ever.

yeah, they are so warm. My first set of turntables I plugged into some old 1970s turntable/8track combo joint I picked up for like $30 and it sounded so nice...

• Options
    One of those side table jawns that has a lid in the middle that lifts up and exposed the turntable and radio. It's got the brush on the headshell and everything. Kinda like this

That's cool, i used to sketch out designs for a custom coffee table type thing along those lines, but that's about as far as it went. My father is converting half his garage to a woodworking shop, so maybe I'll pull it off over the winter. Where in bk is this apt that you got a backyard?

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    Sam & Dave - (I think) Sweet & Funky Gold

Be careful. That's a remake album they did in the eighties.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Where are you living in brooklyn -- I want a backyard. I just moved from cali a couple of months ago, and i need some grass. (not weed)

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Where are you living in brooklyn -- I want a backyard. I just moved from cali a couple of months ago, and i need some grass. (not weed)

you like it>?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

...are you sure? I thought this was the pretty cool comp on Gusto of all the non-LP late 60's-early 70's 45's, like "Soul Sister, Brown Sugar," etc...

Yeah, I love being in the city, but I'm not crazy about where I live, which is off the morgan stop on the L train. My girlfirend and I moved into the first place we looked at without giving it much thought, so now we want to move again. Any suggestions for Brooklyn, we're thinking Carrol Gardens if we can find somethin cheap with an extra room for my nerdiness.

Yeah, I love being in the city, but I'm not crazy about where I live, which is off the morgan stop on the L train. My girlfirend and I moved into the first place we looked at without giving it much thought, so now we want to move again. Any suggestions for Brooklyn, we're thinking Carrol Gardens if we can find somethin cheap with an extra room for my nerdiness.

the wifey just a got a job in ny, looking at brooklyn, but im considering not goin' any good reasons i should?
    i spent a lot of time in ny, but livin there is not lookin good to me...
    im a so cal true, so very tuff...

peace

So far, its a whole other thing compared to California. I've lived here once before, and it takes about a year to actually get comfortable. The only thing that living here will do is make you step up your game in all areas. Unless you're really crazy about NY, stay in Cali, you'll live longer. good luck.

oh and you'll get tougher.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts

...are you sure? I thought this was the pretty cool comp on Gusto of all the non-LP late 60's-early 70's 45's, like "Soul Sister, Brown Sugar," etc...

Maybe Gusto did another comp with this stuff on it, but the comp I had called Sweet & Funky Gold had all their 60s hits. I found out later they were remakes. Pretty damn close remakes, too.

oh and you'll get tougher.
    heh, be hard to do...