European free music (improvisation related)

GNZGNZ 68 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Can anyone hook up some info on this niche of musicpeter brotzmannevan parkerderek bailywillem bruekeradd on...I'm looking for info and albums of these people w/comments.I know some of you weird fuckers have got to be into this shit like I am...

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    they are dope.

~ weird fucker

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Most of those American expats could probably be included in there, the BYG/Actuel roster coming to mind.

I have a dozen or so classical records from European artists. It's free music, but definitely not from an heritage of jazz music. One of them is a Swedish orchestra working with a Swedish radio station performing an extended work about space travel, which uses some primitive radio effects. It's pretty crazy. I also have some Musique Concrete joints on the same label that you'd probably like.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'd say check out www.allmusic.com or google said artists.

• Can anyone hook up some info on this niche of music

peter brotzmann
    evan parker
    derek baily
    willem brueker

add on...I'm looking for info and albums of these people w/comments.

I know some of you weird fuckers have got to be into this shit like I am...

Don't know if it fits in this category (I don't know any of these artists), but Futura label is the most sought-after free jazz label from France, with people like Jef Gilson, Siegried Kessler or Michel Portal..

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

I'm feeling this one. Edward Vesala, Brotzmann, etc. going all out.

• I like some of that schitt. Peter Brotzmann's 'Music for Han Bennik' with the track 'Machine Gun' is particularly crazy, worth checking. I put it on a jazz mix I did several years back.

the 'Gateway to Joy' with host/DJ Donna on FMU definitely goes into that territory. I think she interviewed Derick Bailey on her show at one point. Donna, the host/DJ, doesn't post playlists but there are many archives at:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/DB

$??