I AM THROUGH WITH CRATE DIGGING

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Haha not really but has anyone ever quit for a year or more?

Comments

• Haha not really but has anyone ever quit for a year or more?

I've been pretty inactive for the last year at least. I've picked up a couple randoms though.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I've been pretty inactive for the last year at least. I've picked up a couple Sisqo's though.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    never quit for a year, but i've limited my time scrounging around in the dregs of what austin has to offer for the past month and a bit. you'd be amazed how much more focused you can be about other things in life when you're not skipping lunch, driving 100+ miles, and dreaming about the shit. lots more to think about in these times.

with that said, i'm back it heavy starting in the next week or two.

In other words, I need to start making cash again.

and reclaim my maglite that has been sitting in a certain abandoned house full of records somewhere in the gulf coast region.

• I was out of work for a year and three months and had to force myself to not buy records, so that I could nourish myself. After that time I thought that when I started making money again I would'nt really start buying records again. I was able to see that I didn't really need them. I was wrong, however. It started with short trips to thrifts because I was needing clothes and furnishings as I was moving for my new job. I would casually look through the dustbins and if anything caught my eye within the first fifteen records, I would end up looking through a couple crates and maybe buying a record or two of something random for the interest of listening to something new. As I made more money and settled into my new life and location I began to see more thrift stores around as I explored. I one day decided to go out solely for the sake of looking through some thrift store crates. I headed over to the closest shop I knew of and looked through every stack they had. I then went on to four more thrifts that afternoon and looked through everything. I knew that evening when I was at home listening to a bunch of worthless music and but a couple tracks that got to me, that I was once again and will forever be an addict.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    fuck records

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's Digging?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

two years

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I was out of work for a year and three months and had to force myself to not buy records, so that I could nourish myself. After that time I thought that when I started making money again I would'nt really start buying records again. I was able to see that I didn't really need them. I was wrong, however. It started with short trips to thrifts because I was needing clothes and furnishings as I was moving for my new job. I would casually look through the dustbins and if anything caught my eye within the first fifteen records, I would end up looking through a couple crates and maybe buying a record or two of something random for the interest of listening to something new. As I made more money and settled into my new life and location I began to see more thrift stores around as I explored. I one day decided to go out solely for the sake of looking through some thrift store crates. I headed over to the closest shop I knew of and looked through every stack they had. I then went on to four more thrifts that afternoon and looked through everything. I knew that evening when I was at home listening to a bunch of worthless music and but a couple tracks that got to me, that I was once again and will forever be an addict.

yeah, this is pretty much exactly what happened to me. scary, eh?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "relapse"

&

"I'll get out of the game, after this one last big score..."

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I think I'm done with records. MP3s are free & I'm used to their sound now. You can get all kinds of shit. With the advent of these blogs, you can even find random/private issue stuff that you would have had no hope of coming up on unless you'd travel & dig. Its crazy, but with modern tech, there's no reason to not have heard most stuff out there. Its right there just waiting for you to pick up. If you're a little dude today, its unforgivable - how can you not know the game, when its given away for free online?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I think I'm done with records. MP3s are free & I'm used to their sound now. You can get all kinds of shit. With the advent of these blogs, you can even find random/private issue stuff that you would have had no hope of coming up on unless you'd travel & dig. Its crazy, but with modern tech, there's no reason to not have heard most stuff out there. Its right there just waiting for you to pick up. If you're a little dude today, its unforgivable - how can you not know the game, when its given away for free online?

word, but not everybody has broadband yet

I agree that MP3s or some digital distributed on demand format will really set us free in the near future, not that they haven't already.

• I think I'm done with records. MP3s are free & I'm used to their sound now. You can get all kinds of shit. With the advent of these blogs, you can even find random/private issue stuff that you would have had no hope of coming up on unless you'd travel & dig. Its crazy, but with modern tech, there's no reason to not have heard most stuff out there. Its right there just waiting for you to pick up. If you're a little dude today, its unforgivable - how can you not know the game, when its given away for free online?

true to a certain extent, but i still come across records i can't find info about online...and it's going to be a long time before everyone has unlimited access to every single private press freejazz/psychfolk/singingbirds record. until then, i'll still go digging every few weeks.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

DILDO

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    mp3s are fine if you just like music.

I can't get off on 'em personally - call me retro, I need a physical artifact

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

DILDO

exactly

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Before stepping to me you rather step to jahova.

• Parties in NYC still suck.
    Someone tell this dude that there are things called treble and bass,
    and that you can adjust those things on this other thing, called a "mixer."

• Parties in NYC still suck.
    Someone tell this dude that there are things called treble and bass,
    and that you can adjust those things on this other thing, called a "mixer."

If you are talking about the room w/ the coat check in it, yes that shit was piercingly bad and I could not maintain. Had to go chill in the other room with the santa guy in the wolf mask.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I missed it. Brooklyn Dawn had me hemmed at like 4:30 am drinking Grey Goose and talking about Lithuanian ghettos.

I did holler though.

• I missed it. Brooklyn Dawn had me hemmed at like 4:30 am drinking Grey Goose and talking about Lithuanian ghettos.

I did holler though.

HOLLLLERRRRRRRRRRR fo sho! Good times though.

• I bought a microwave, so I'm not "digging" as much.

• I'm happy if I manage to stay off ebay for 31 days...