Chris Rock's 25 Favorite Rap Albums

2»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't usually have too much to say about hip hop, but how is it the name "Dre" is missing from that list?

three of his nicest productions are on there.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

I understand that - but who in their right mind prefers Stillmatic to Illmatic?? - I've never heard that one from even the littlest of dudes.

Cant he just like Stillmatic on its own. Let go.

No..that isn't allowed

Illmatic iz overated. 10 songs. 5 were already radio bangers way before that album dropped. So your judging an lp on 5 songs....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't usually have too much to say about hip hop, but how is it the name "Dre" is missing from that list?

three of his nicest productions are on there.

But "The Chronic" didn't make the cut?

OK, back to not having too much to say about hip hop.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    but he's not some authority on rap.

why not? because his personal tastes diverge from the canon? with the exception of a few questionable choices, this list was clearly compiled by a well informed rap listener. most "average celebrity rap listeners" would not be namedropping Quik or bulhoone mindstate.

but I still think the "stillmatic" thing is a typo.

i'm holding the magazine. there's a picture of stillmatic's cover. the paragraph discusses how his beef with jay-z inspired the album and mentions "2nd childhood." pretty elaborate typo, don't you think?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    He also called the Pharcyde "one hit wonders".

Were they EVEN one hit wonders? Did "Passin' me by" crack the top 40? I am asking seriously. Were Tribe even One-Hit Wonders?

• most "average celebrity rap listeners" would not be namedropping Quik or bulhoone mindstate.

dude I said that. read my post. his list is way better than most celbrity non-record-heads lists would be. but like i said, he's no authority. neither am I. he's just a rap fan like us. people take the list as some sort of authority.

that said, I still think the "Stillmatic" thing is a typo.

• It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

I understand that - but who in their right mind prefers Stillmatic to Illmatic?? - I've never heard that one from even the littlest of dudes.

No..that isn't allowed

Illmatic iz overated. 10 songs. 5 were already radio bangers way before that album dropped. So your judging an lp on 5 songs....

whoah talk about a flawed argument. when you say "radio bangers" do you mean they were already on the radio before the album came out. uhhhh, sorry bro but that's sort of how albums work. ALL albums include songs that were on the radio first. they're called singles

now if you are referring to songs that were already released on another album, OK, then "Halftime" was already out. but seriously, just because YOU had heard the songs before does not diminish the strength of the album.

and even so, those "5 songs" you are talking about destroy any 5 songs from Stillmatic, as well as any five songs from most of the albums on Rock's little list.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    He also called the Pharcyde "one hit wonders".

Were they EVEN one hit wonders? Did "Passin' me by" crack the top 40? I am asking seriously. Were Tribe even One-Hit Wonders?

But unlike the Pharcyde, Tribe was really good.

• this thread is getting completely absurd.

Pharcyde's wack and Illmatic sucked.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this thread is getting completely absurd.

Pharcyde's wack and Illmatic sucked.

Does overrated mean sucked?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    look the dude is a great stand-up comedian.

his rap list, as celebrity non-record-heads go, is pretty alright.

but he's not some authority on rap.

but I still think the "stillmatic" thing is a typo.

Apparently you haven't seen CB4.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'd only omit Dizzy Rascal from it.Oh and Jay-z to.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The fact that Liquid Swordz is his highest-ranked WU album is cool, and the inclusion of D.O.C. proves that although he jocks the NWA fam, he jocks them wisely...but get that Wyclef shit the fuck outta and get some ODB up in thar...he put you on his record, Chris! He had you down.

• How are you crossing out liquid swords? And why was Amerikkkas most wanted crossed out? And seriously are you going to get all up in arms because of dude's personal taste in rap music? Some of ya'll need a samich or beer or something...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    How are you crossing out liquid swords? And why was Amerikkkas most wanted crossed out?

And seriously are you going to get all up in arms because of dude's personal taste in rap music? Some of ya'll need a samich or beer or something...
    uhhhhhhhhhh

• Chris rock obviously doesn't know shit about rap

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dudes need to quit getting their panties twisted. Jesus christ, it's like Soulstrut field day with all these different hip-hop posts of late.

There's the explanation:

2. Snoop - Doggystyle
    13. GZA - Liquid Swords
    15. Geto Boys - Ressurection
    17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
    24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky

2. The Chronic
    13. Enter the 36 Chambers
    15. We Can't Be Stopped
    16. Death Certificate
    24. I like Quik but no way does dude make my top 25.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The Oliver Wang 25[/b]
    Nearly every moment when Oliver Wang isn't onstage, he's listening to music. If he didn't happen to be one of the world's best comedians, he would've made an excellent music critic. He's been a hardcore hip hop fan since the eighties, and his 1993 satire of the rap industry, CB4 is still a cult classic. So in the interest in helping Oliver develop a fallback career, we asked him to name his top twenty five hip hop albums

2. The Chronic
    15. We Can't Be Stopped
    16. Death Certificate

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

No..that isn't allowed

whoah talk about a flawed argument. when you say "radio bangers" do you mean they were already on the radio before the album came out. uhhhh, sorry bro but that's sort of how albums work. ALL albums include songs that were on the radio first. they're called singles

now if you are referring to songs that were already released on another album, OK, then "Halftime" was already out. but seriously, just because YOU had heard the songs before does not diminish the strength of the album.

and even so, those "5 songs" you are talking about destroy any 5 songs from Stillmatic, as well as any five songs from most of the albums on Rock's little list.

Stop acting like you know shit. You hold no weight homie.

Somewhere, there's a joke here but I have yet to find it.

The Oliver Wang 25[/b]
    Nearly every moment when Oliver Wang isn't onstage, he's listening to music. If he didn't happen to be one of the world's best comedians, he would've made an excellent music critic. He's been a hardcore hip hop fan since the eighties, and his 1993 satire of the rap industry, CB4 is still a cult classic. So in the interest in helping Oliver develop a fallback career, we asked him to name his top twenty five hip hop albums

2. The Chronic
    15. We Can't Be Stopped
    16. Death Certificate

• It's just a list of CR's personal favorites. I don't think it was intended to be a definitive list.

No..that isn't allowed

In your mind I guess I don't. Which I'm fine with.

Refute my argument or fall back.

To dis a record because the songs were on the radio before the album release makes no sense and you know it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

No..that isn't allowed

To dis a record because the songs were on the radio before the album release makes no sense and you know it.

Whatever. Fake ass Cosmo.

No..that isn't allowed

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

No..that isn't allowed

No..that isn't allowed

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

this isn't a "twenty five most important hip hop records" list, this is the personal selection of one dude.

traditionally in soul strut custom the strike out has always reflected a negative opinion of those records (and ultimately the posters tastes). it'd be appropriate for you to strike out the carnival. less so ameriKKKa's most wanted, which, whether or not it's better than death certificate (it's not, imho), is still an undisputed hip hop classic. these are the parameters i used to interpret your post and wanted you to elaborate on.

why you so grumpy today dub?

this isn't a "twenty five most important hip hop records" list, this is the personal selection of one dude.

traditionally in soul strut custom the strike out has always reflected a negative opinion of those records (and ultimately the posters tastes). it'd be appropriate for you to strike out the carnival. less so ameriKKKa's most wanted, which, whether or not it's better than death certificate (it's not, imho), is still an undisputed hip hop classic. these are the parameters i used to interpret your post and wanted you to elaborate on.

why you so grumpy today dub?

Noz,

I'm not grumpy. I'd never bark at you so if it sounds like that, it's the failure of the medium to communicate mood. I find all these conversations pretty entertaining actually.

However, I didn't realize there were "strike out" rules that I was supposed to follow.

• yeh Odub, I was on the same wavelength as Noz with the strikeouts, thought the hattin was in effect on some strong albums in their own right. I need more sleep.