"i paid $900 for a hank ballard record...

2»

Comments

• as i'm a charter member at okayplayer, allow me to break it down:

- jay dee is a more influential producer than timbaland.
    - the importance and skill level of "dilla" is on par with frank zappa, dr. dre and perhaps john coltrane
    - if you're not a true crate digger you will be unable to recognize this.
    - questlove's love of music is measured by how much he (over)pays for records he has no plans on listening to.
    - D'Angelo's Voodoo "changed the landscape of black music"
    - "dilla" made pause tapes in a hospital bed once.
    - something about elvis.
    - quest is by no means trying to "convert you to the religon of dilla", he's merely letting you know that if you don't like dilla you are less than a true music fan and he's totally not gonna sign your t-shirt at the next smokin grooves tour.

There is currently a really hot thread over there decrying Scratch magazine's failure to put "Dilla" on its cover.

Honestly, I think most of those herbs find Jaydee's production as boring as I do, but they jock him in hopes that it will make ?uest take a personal interest in them. Pathetic.

The only thing worse are the little dudes trying to get interest from other little dudes on this board.

You mean like dudes starting threads about how I'm Sayin' Though is mixtape of the year?

am i going to have to put a certain paypal transaction on blast?

• as i'm a charter member at okayplayer, allow me to break it down:

- jay dee Heatmakerz are more influential producers than timbaland.
    - the importance and skill level of "dilla" D4L is on par with frank zappa, dr. dre and perhaps john coltrane
    - if you're not a true crate digger real head that knowz the deal you will be unable to recognize this.
    - questlove's Reynaldo's love of music is measured by how much he (over)pays for records he has no plans on listening to.
    - D'Angelo Serato "changed the landscape of black music"
    - something about "sabadabba".
    - Questlove Noz is by no means trying to "convert you to the religon of dilla Lil Wayne, he's merely letting you know that if you don't like dilla The Carter II you are less than a true music fan and he's totally not gonna sign your t-shirt at the next smokin grooves tour leav a comment on your blog.

how is this any different from what we talk about on this board?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Game, set, match.

not really

says the moderator with 7000 posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    as i'm a charter member at okayplayer, allow me to break it down:

- jay dee is a more influential producer than timbaland.
    - the importance and skill level of "dilla" is on par with frank zappa, dr. dre and perhaps john coltrane
    - if you're not a true crate digger you will be unable to recognize this.
    - questlove's love of music is measured by how much he (over)pays for records he has no plans on listening to.
    - D'Angelo's Voodoo "changed the landscape of black music"
    - "dilla" made pause tapes in a hospital bed once.
    - something about elvis.
    - quest is by no means trying to "convert you to the religon of dilla", he's merely letting you know that if you don't like dilla you are less than a true music fan and he's totally not gonna sign your t-shirt at the next smokin grooves tour.

There is currently a really hot thread over there decrying Scratch magazine's failure to put "Dilla" on its cover.

Honestly, I think most of those herbs find Jaydee's production as boring as I do, but they jock him in hopes that it will make ?uest take a personal interest in them. Pathetic.

The only thing worse are the little dudes trying to get interest from other little dudes on this board.

You mean like dudes starting threads about how I'm Sayin' Though is mixtape of the year?

am i going to have to put a certain paypal transaction on blast?

yes

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

honestly young fon i find it hard to believe that you really can't see the difference between a few music dork peers debating the relevance of lil wayne (albeit doing so in an authoritative manner) and a relative celebrity bragging about his spendings and knowledge of music on the internet to a flock of grovelling internet fans vying for his attention.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    noz how can you post on that board
    seriously

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    noz how can you post on that board

i mostly lurk there when i'm trying to kick the soulstrut habit. if you ever want to be turned off to the prospect of internet communities you just need to stick your head into the general discussion.

• how is this any different from what we talk about on this board?

honestly young fon i find it hard to believe that you really can't see the difference between a few music dork peers debating the relevance of lil wayne (albeit doing so in an authoritative manner) and a relative celebrity bragging about his spendings and knowledge of music on the internet to a flock of grovelling internet fans vying for his attention.

Dude...I've been to that site like once, 2 years ago. Obviously you must be seeing something, charter member .

and dude hella people brag about records they cop all the time= WEEKEND FINDS. and rap dudes brag about a bunch of other shit all the time.

I'm not arguing that Okayplayer is the shit, I'm just saying the shit isn't that different from any other site. Nerds are nerds.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Dude...I've been to that site like once, 2 years ago. Obviously you must be seeing something, charter member .

and dude hella people brag about records they cop all the time= WEEKEND FINDS. and rap dudes brag about a bunch of other shit all the time.

I'm not arguing that Okayplayer is the shit, I'm just saying the shit isn't that different from any other site. Nerds are nerds.

Here's the difference: SoulStrut is a relatively small community of which most members are fairly informed about some type of music; Okayplayer is a huge community of which maybe five members (counting Archaic) know anything about anything involving music.

• how is this any different from what we talk about on this board?

Here's the difference: SoulStrut is a relatively small community of which most members are fairly informed about some type of music; Okayplayer is a huge community of which maybe five members know anything about anything involving music.

so the other 4 are charter members as well?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    so the other 4 are charter members as well?

jeaaalous? [/b]

• His Biggie Poncho Game is unfuckwithable.

And that Ballard he bought is a

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wanted to postthis up cause I wanted to DROP SCIENCE on the origins of OKAY PLAYER.

REAL HEADZZZZ KNOW THA DEALLLL.

But not now, maybe after Coffee. Break.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

But not now, maybe after Coffee. BraEk.

IN THE PARLANCE OF OUR TIMES:

"Did you say you have raer "coffee" braek?

Real question for me when productions is, 'is it open????'

Raer go well with croissant cripsy and broken bicycle braeks (I heard this is new fat on Giles Peterson show), tribute to frenchman leacy holding it down in heavenly dj booth for all breakbeatfastandraer.

I think if you pay $900 for a LP you will never listen to at least if it has a braek you can resell or sample to make braekbeat, correct????? "