Soulstrut Newsdesk: I Just heard The Pope died...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
... unconfirmed reports. Nobody is reporting it yet?Is it true?Damn, it's been a week.As a non catholic (I'm Jewish) that's still pretty heavy.RIP

Comments

• Last I heard he was slipping away fast. I can't say I always agreed with the guy but it's still a shame...

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    He was a good dude.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know nothing about him except there were many things that I didn't agree with him on. Still, peace is peace.

We don't know if he's dead or not yet though...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    he's been dead for a minute. i think some bishops have been using him on some weekend at bernie's shit for a while. Popet

that's foul...my bad. Rest in Peace.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I will alwys like this footage of him applauding the bboys...I know it is trite, but I like it. RIP.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    The Frontline bio on him is informative and interesting. Sure, you don't become the Pope without ruffling some feathers. But his life in Poland was pretty amazing.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Frontline bio on him is informative and interesting. Sure, you don't become the Pope without ruffling some feathers. But his life in Poland was pretty amazing.

speaks like what, 9 languages?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

speaks like what, 9 languages?

I don't think you get to be The Pope without being one bad motherfucker...

... and I mean that with all due respect.

• Isn't John Paul the 1st pope to die while in the saddle and w/o appointing a successor?

• Isn't John Paul the 1st pope to die while in the saddle and w/o appointing a successor?

Uhhhhhh...no.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm guessing they are keeping him alive while they bicker over who takes his place, or hiding his death while they bicker over who takes his place. Either way his gone. They are denying he's in a coma but his health problems list is so long it just screams RIP.

Dude was gangsta. Got shot, had a palace full of bling bling, had a bullet proof ride, and loved the b-boys!!!!!!!!!

• djxanderdjxander 16 Posts
    Isn't John Paul the 1st pope to die while in the saddle and w/o appointing a successor?

Uhhhhhh...no.

read Mario Puzo's "The Family" (or Audiobook it in the car, like me) - abso-frickin-lutely fascinating. Its not 100% percent true, but then again history never is.

• djxanderdjxander 16 Posts

I will alwys like this footage of him applauding the bboys...I know it is trite, but I like it. RIP.

is there video footage of this? I find this really interesting. Much respect for old people who can open up their minds enough to respect new art.

• I was looking at the CNN website and kept hitting "refresh" just to see if the news was changing. It was like watching an ebay auction count down. Weird.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

is there video footage of this? I find this really interesting. Much respect for old people who can open up their minds enough to respect new art.

It was one most of the news channels when it happened so I bet you can find it archived somewhere, just do a google or check CNN.com

• I was looking at the CNN website and kept hitting "refresh" just to see if the news was changing. It was like watching an ebay auction count down. Weird.

I know what you mean. Drudge had it up, then it was gone....

• Options
    I was looking at the CNN website and kept hitting "refresh" just to see if the news was changing. It was like watching an ebay auction count down. Weird.

Cosign, I just saw my friend at AutoZone and when the conversation ran dry he suddenly piped up with "Pope dead yet?"

• Options
    Isn't John Paul the 1st pope to die while in the saddle and w/o appointing a successor?

Nah dude, the Cardinals (no Pujols) or Bishops vote on it. I saw a documentary on it once, it was pretty interesting. It was a movie about how the process of electing the current Pope, and how it was a big deal that he wasn't Italian. Lots of ornate haberdashery if you're into that sort of thing.

Nah dude, the Cardinals (no Pujols) or Bishops vote on it. I saw a documentary on it once, it was pretty interesting. It was a movie about how the process of electing the current Pope, and how it was a big deal that he wasn't Italian. Lots of ornate haberdashery if you're into that sort of thing.

the cardinals, they convene a council of cardinals and do a bunch of secret ballots until they elect a pope. in the good old days this led to lots of stabbings. next pope could very likely be south american.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

the original polish prince. RIP

• Yeah, how does it work - like the cards go into hiding, and the only way you know if they have a Pope is by the color of the smoke that comes out of the Vatican.

Grey = no Pope.

White = we got a Pope!

something like that.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    man. a sad day. the Pope was a great dude

RIP

• ehh, he's not dead yet dude

• I saw the Pope live at Shea Stadium in seventh grade and made out with a girl from the eighth grade in the same day. If I had gotten drunk it would've been some kind of catholic schoolkid trifecta.

RIP, I hope they get a progressive pope with his tenaciousness and antiwar stance next. With more and more of the developing world converting, the church could really be a force for change...eh, pipe dreams I guess.

• RIP, I hope they get a progressive pope with his tenaciousness and antiwar stance[/b] next. With more and more of the developing world converting, the church could really be a force for change...

Dude I am loving your hopefulness and positivity. That's what's kept me (somewhat) involved with the church for this long. It's like, they're almost there, and like you said, they're big enough to actually affect a meaningful change.

Cue jokes about little boys....now.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    man. a sad day. the Pope was a great dude

RIP

What exactly did the pope do? I saw him sit around a lot... ?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

read Mario Puzo's "The Family" (or Audiobook it in the car, like me) - abso-frickin-lutely fascinating. Its not 100% percent true, but then again history never is.

I was watching the Godfather Part 3 DVD earlier this week and then this news hit. Weird. The plot was modeled around the mysterious death surrounding John Paul I in the late 70s...makes me want to learn more about him

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

I was watching the Godfather Part 3 DVD earlier this week and then this news hit. Weird. The plot was modeled around the mysterious death surrounding John Paul I in the late 70s...makes me want to learn more about him

I recommend you to check the history surrounding the papacy at that time. There was a HUGE amount of controversy surrounding it. Pretty interesting.

- J

• Options
    What exactly did the pope do? I saw him sit around a lot... ?

He judged a lot of holy b-boy battles, dodged bullets, rolled in a holy armored whip, rocked holy hats, collected cash every sunday, and real headz know he broke it down with the linguistics.