gatefold covers

2»

Comments

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

Gatefold covers are the beatifullest thing. How can you be into records and not lovin them? I would love to put oout records in gatefold covers but every cover that is a bit different from the noerm is so fucking expensivr to manufacture...

• the black moses one is even doper

• I've heard that Ray Barretto's Acid had a limited release with a gatefold. Can anyone confirm?

• That Shalimar OST is nuts - never seen the inside before....

...I've been meaning to start a thread about the Limelight gatefolds, but this will work for now. I've been trying to pick up all the Limelight gatefolds for a couple years now, almost finished....but if anyone has a gatefold of Dizzy Gillespie Jambo Caribe plaese to PM me?!?! Keep coming across later press/single pocket....

...anyways, these are some of my favorites from my Limelight stack: from top to bottom, The Three Sounds' "Beautiful Friendship," Art Blakey's "Let's Make It," Milt Jackson's "at the MOMA," and Roland Kirk's "Something Latin" and "Rip, Rig & Panic." Most of you guys prbly know the drill; most of them have this crazy diecut insert in the middle and a booklet glued to the righthand panel. The booklets have some great photography (Blakey's "Soul Finger" LP - not pictured here and no, not a cover of the Bar-Kays - has got some great, great psych-ish blurry shots) and the colors are super rich.

Funny story about the Blakey: it had lots of moisture damage inside - as you can see - but it's the first Limelight in the series, the LP was clean and for two bucks, why not?....so I'm unfolding the little booklet at the counter to check it out and the dude running the store gets this look on his face like "whoa! coulda charged more" and starts getting all interested....

damn, now that I think about it I shouldn't have let him see that....

• Wow!

Never seen these. They were probably released with only dull sleeves in Europe (Fontana/Philips?).

• Never seen these. They were probably released with only dull sleeves in Europe (Fontana/Philips?).

Good question - according to this site it says that there were some recordings that were switched around between labels, etc., but doesn't talk about Euro release versions in particular (that I found with a quick scan at the site, didn't read closely)...I would assume that they would probably be released as Phillips?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

yes!

• Always loved this one

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Niemen Aerolit:[/b]

Co-sign on the Limelight series. I've only got Milt Jackson @ MOMA, but I'd really like to get my hands on some of the others. That's just some beutiful packaging right there. This is the shit you gotta pull out when you're in a discussion about the pros and cons of CD vs. vinyl. Concerning euro presses of Limelight gatefolds: if that Roland Kirk is "Talk With The Spirits", then I've got it in a single sleeved UK Mercury press.