headphones for your walkman/ipod/etc

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
hey what headphones do you use when you're on the go? i use the subway and sony mdr-ex71s were great in ear buds as they cancel outside noise, but the godamn wires phreakn disintigrate (i think they melt, this is the second time i have to get them replaced). so im thinking i may have to move out of the in-ear bud type of headphones though i loved them, i dont like bulky sheit on my head. what do you guys use? just to restate i take the subway a lot, so id prefer something that cancels outside noise with good sound.

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    hmmm, you know, I had the same problems with the Sonys. The sound and comfort was perfect for a public transit situation but they were broken withing a month of purchase. Unfortunately I have to face the realities of heavy use in a harsh environment. I currently rock the $10 Sony headphones, not great sound but they're loud enough to drown out any cell phone conversations and they do have extra heavy grade wires that don't snap with light force.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Damn, ive been wondering about this shit too. Ive been using the earbuds that came with my nano, but i need somehing else. the wires are already fucked up.

• I use these Koss ones. they block out the sound pretty well.
    They come with a lifetime warranty which works because mine have broken 7 times.
    no joke. always in the same place.
    keep receipts is my final peice of advice.
    first post btw. HI.
    http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?OpenForm&pc^sc^KSC22

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I use these Koss ones. they block out the sound pretty well.
    They come with a lifetime warranty which works because mine have broken 7 times.
    first post btw. HI.

Worst first post I've ever seen. Why would you recommend a product like that?

• I bought these Sennheisers recently and I love them so far. The sound is really good and they fold up into a small container about the size of a sunglases case. I like that because I can throw the case and my ipod in my jacket or bag and won't mess them up.

They retail around $60 but I found them new on amazon for around $35.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    shit, i got sony earbuds (ex-51 lp), no problems yet but maybe had them for a couple months. maybe i should have gotten that extra warrenty at best buy

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I bought these Sennheisers recently and I love them so far. The sound is really good and they fold up into a small container about the size of a sunglases case. I like that because I can throw the case and my ipod in my jacket or bag and won't mess them up.

They retail around $60 but I found them new on amazon for around $35.

Hmm, I have been thinking about these. I am getting an mp3 player for xmas and these look pretty good.

I would keep using these:

which sound nice except for weak bass. I am fine with people giving me weird looks when wearing them, but the bass annoys me a bit.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    repeat message deleted

• shit, i got sony earbuds (ex-51 lp), no problems yet but maybe had them for a couple months. maybe i should have gotten that extra warrenty at best buy

My ex-51s have been great and have shown almost no wear after 10 mos. of heavy subway use, and they've gotten snagged on stuff multiple times and held up. What are you guys doing to them?

• I'd just like to chime in to say that my Sony earbuds (the 51's) also crapped out after a couple of months. In my case the left side doesn't make any sound any more, regardless of the machine I plug it into.

• They retail around $60 but I found them new on amazon for around $35.

I've been looking at these but I wonder about sound cancellation. I don't know where you're living or wearing these but do you imagine they'd do a decent job of cancelling bus and subway noises?

Edit: I don't mean "cancel". I mean block out.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Any of you all really messed with the Bose Triport headphones?

They sounded DOPE to me, but I'd like some other opinions before purchase...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Those Koss earphones (the one's that look really old school and have a bit of blue) have a really powerful sound (good for blocking)
    They don't look great but are pretty compact and have a lifetime warranty

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I've heard good things but those seem like even bigger targets than ipod headphones for getting robbed. I want headphones that look like Coby but don't sound like it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Look like Coby but don't sound like it.

Those Koss earphones (the one's that look really old school and have a bit of blue) have a really powerful sound (good for blocking)
    They don't look great but are pretty compact and have a lifetime warranty

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I've heard good things but those seem like even bigger targets than ipod headphones for getting robbed. I want headphones that look like Coby but don't sound like it.

I'd recommend Sennheiser Earbuds for anyone on the go, but the Bose joints I'm looking to get primarily for home use.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I can't remember the model but I use some nice sony earbuds with changable size earpieces. Sound good and not too expensive.

I have been thinking about getting some of these Shures
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=984551422&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=141145

Here is a coupon code if anyone is interested that gives you 35% off of any pair on the site. At checkout, apply coupon SELECT35.

• iam still using the MDR-EX71SL. got them taped several times where the wire goes into the earplugs, but iam using them for over three years now and havent found an alternative yet. the sound is still great and riding bicycle with both earphones on is highly recommended. not.

someone ever checked these ? donnu what the price is, but quality and sound seem to be cool.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I use these Koss ones. they block out the sound pretty well.
    first post btw. HI.

Worst first post I've ever seen. Why would you recommend a product like that?

LOL! JLR steady

• They retail around $60 but I found them new on amazon for around $35.

I've been looking at these but I wonder about sound cancellation. I don't know where you're living or wearing these but do you imagine they'd do a decent job of cancelling bus and subway noises?

Edit: I don't mean "cancel". I mean block out.
    Manhattan. I've worn them on the bus and subway and I'm recommending them. They don't totally cancel out noise but for the price I am very happy with them.

• I don't mean "cancel". I mean block out.

i think for really blocking out surrounding sounds you'll need in-ears.

• iam still using the MDR-EX71SL. got them taped several times where the wire goes into the earplugs, but iam using them for over three years now and havent found an alternative yet. the sound is still great and riding bicycle with both earphones on is highly recommended. not.

someone ever checked these ? donnu what the price is, but quality and sound seem to be cool.

You are fuckin lucky. The first pair I had broke because of me. The previous black model I think it was EX51SL was much better and the wire was thicker than the new ones that have mad flimsy wire. I was listening to the old ones at school and got it wrapped around a chair leg and was running for some reason and it never worked after that.

Fuck the Sony earbuds. They are overpriced and most peoples will break within a few months. Go with Sennheiser anything. The MX-300,400,500 are great and the PX-100,200 supposedly are some of the best headphones you can get for the price.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    shit, i got sony earbuds (ex-51 lp), no problems yet but maybe had them for a couple months. maybe i should have gotten that extra warrenty at best buy

My ex-51s have been great and have shown almost no wear after 10 mos. of heavy subway use, and they've gotten snagged on stuff multiple times and held up. What are you guys doing to them?

the first time, mine literally disintigrated, the wire is so damn delicate...second time, they frayed. might check out the seinhesser inbuds

anyone use shures' inbuds? they are quite the loot but amazing i heard.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

AKG K44

• Grado SM-60's sound great and you look like you're wearing your science project or something. They make a SM-80 with those who are 25% better. And a bunch of high end shit as well.

• hey what headphones do you use when you're on the go? i use the subway and sony mdr-ex71s were great in ear buds as they cancel outside noise, but the godamn wires phreakn disintigrate (i think they melt, this is the second time i have to get them replaced). so im thinking i may have to move out of the in-ear bud type of headphones though i loved them, i dont like bulky sheit on my head. what do you guys use? just to restate i take the subway a lot, so id prefer something that cancels outside noise with good sound.

Same shit happened to me. They are great headphones, but not too durable. Whenever I have problems I just buy a new pair, and return the fucked up ones like two weeks later. No one really says shit. I sort of a pain in the ass, in which case you could just reinforce them with electrical tape. The problem is that the the wire inside the plastic cord gets twisted all the way through, eventually is just breaks. There is no way to tell either. They look fine. What I did was cut open the plastic or ripped it off where ever it is coming apart. Straigten out the wire so there are no tangles or twist. and then just tape it up with electrical tape (or some sort of tape that is more flexible. This is what I did, and the only draw back is that the wire is stiff as shit and looks like I am wearing some ghetto ass airplane headphone! but the shit still sounds good as a brand new pair, and they are durable as fuck

• I've been really impressed with my Shure e2s. Although after a year-and-a-half the left channel is starting to sputter. Then again, I never use the case they come with, and am pretty rough in handling them.

I recommend going with some inner-ear style ones, if you want portability, sound isolation, and audible bass. I've read Etymotics are quite good too.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I've been really impressed with my Shure e2s. Although after a year-and-a-half the left channel is starting to sputter. Then again, I never use the case they come with, and am pretty rough in handling them.

I recommend going with some inner-ear style ones, if you want portability, sound isolation, and audible bass. I've read Etymotics are quite good too.

^trippy...

i just went to the store and demanded they give me a refund or let me pay the difference to get those e2s, just had to pay $50 canadian more, and they're phucking awesome...and the wire looks more durable, you'd have to keep them in a bag of ginsu knives to do damage! heavily recommended over the sony's so far...did i mention how ergonomic they are? yes, they are very ergonomic.

• edubedub 715 Posts

... I've read Etymotics are quite good too.

I found this review on Cnet:

Etymotic_ER_6_Isolator

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I found this review on Cnet:

Etymotic_ER_6_Isolator

CNET editors' review

Editors' rating

Excellent

out of 10

Reviewed by:

Steve Guttenberg[/b]

The good: Noise-isolating earbuds with awesome clarity and detail; includes multiple eartips and travel pouch.

The bad: Thin, tangle-prone wires; somewhat expensive.

The bottom line: Etymotic's ER-6 earbuds offer stellar sound quality.

closet audio enthusiast c|net shillin ????

i only have one thing to say about this subject:

LA WILL MAKE YOU PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!