Go Shorty! It's your Bat Mitzvah!

Comments

• "Hey, that guy looks like Kenny G."

My parents were in town for Thanksgiving and had made reservations at some high end japanese restaurant. When we were checking our coats, some dude with crazy hair comes by and I say, "Hey Ma, check it out, Kenny G play that sax boy!" Dude gives me a weird look. Moms turns, "That IS Kenny G, smart ass!"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    when the departing rapper prepared to enter his limo in the loading dock, a naked woman was spotted inside.

Pumping for The Man.

That was so uncalled-for. Nobody needs to think about Ann-or-is-it-Dan Coulter naked in Fiddy's limo--or anywhere else, for that matter.

Yeah, but did you catch the Ween reference?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    back in the ol' days, chiefs in pacific northwest tribes used to burn their ownings - just to show off that they could.

are you sure about that?

the topic of this thread is sickening.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    The question remains:

Was Paul Barman there pro bono?

hah

Further reinforcing my opinion that Aerosmith are the WORST BAND IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED MUSIC.

Dream On.

• "Hey, that guy looks like Kenny G."

My parents were in town for Thanksgiving and had made reservations at some high end japanese restaurant. When we were checking our coats, some dude with crazy hair comes by and I say, "Hey Ma, check it out, Kenny G play that sax boy!" Dude gives me a weird look. Moms turns, "That IS Kenny G, smart ass!"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Aerosmith (and the $2 million fee I hear he paid for their appearance)

Further reinforcing my opinion that Aerosmith are the WORST BAND IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED MUSIC.

Okay, but catch this: Ray Manzarek was subbing on keyboards. Power medley: Walk This Way (OG version) / Light My Fire (organ solo) / Walk This Way (rap version with 50 as both Run AND DMC). Nice one!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The question remains:

His publicist will neither confirm nor deny those reports.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    back in the ol' days, chiefs in pacific northwest tribes used to burn their ownings - just to show off that they could.

are you sure about that?
    how dare you challenge me!

it's discussed in my bible steven pinker's 'how the mind works'
    and i remember reading about it in anthropology classes

?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    The question remains:

THAT IS PAUL BARMAN?!?!?!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The question remains:

I think it's Cut Chemist.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The question remains:

• The question remains:

His publicist will neither confirm nor deny that he is his publicist[/b]

• dayday 9,611 Posts

are you sure about that?

Ok, I'd be interested in knowing what tribe/s.

Spending 10 million dollars on a fucking kids party is sickening considering the number of better things that money could be used for.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Ray Manzarek was subbing on keyboards.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

are you sure about that?

Spending 10 million dollars on a fucking kids party is sickening considering the number of better things that money could be used for.

oh, i thought you were talking about "go shorty! it's your bat mitzvah!"

i'll let u know about the tribe when i get home & get chance. pm to remind me in case i forget

peas

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

My point exactly
    Goes for this shit to and owning 5 multimillion dollar houses

I run a charity and we support a shanty town center in peru that feeds, educates and gives vitamins to over 500 kids daily

Our yearly budget is roughly 20,000$ a year.

How much could people do with "just" 200,000$ man!No ill pay Kenny G more than that his 2 hour performance at my party is so important for my little girl

Yet we see examples of money getting blown off everywhere and it sickens me. Like that lord conrad black scam thing. He stole countless millions his bail is set at 20mil and he pays. Jesus christ 20 million one time!

Some cats got more than 5 billion (how is that universally/philosophically comprehendable/acceptable)

Socrates(could be another greek philosopher) saud while analysing money systems that we sould watch out for the way which we present our money system because if you present it as something that is possible to ammount infinitely there will be no logic.

Basically cats stack out of this world number of dough and continue to save or want to gain more. past a billion it doesnt make sense anymore

Yet it makes the world go round

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its not really the money thing. Its really not my buisiness how people spend it.

But for a supposedly religious ceremony? Ceremoney? I dont know much about Bar-mitzvahs or Bat-mitzvahs but i think i know what a mitzvah is supposed to be and I dont see how this qualifies.

• back in the ol' days, chiefs in pacific northwest tribes used to burn their ownings - just to show off that they could.

are you sure about that?

It's called a potlach.

http://www.potlach.org/

I remember reading about this a long time ago in one of those World of the American Indian kids books. Only reason I remember the name is that it was mentioned as background in an NPR story about conspicuous consumption (apparantly part of the deal was that you had to show off how much whale blubber you could eat in one sitting before having to, ahem, disgorge. That's an image that's going to be sitting in my visual cortex for a bit)

This link

http://www.makah.com/potlatches.htm

relates it to the Makah tribe and puts a slightly more positive spin on the concept.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Its not really the money thing. Its really not my buisiness how people spend it.

I???m surprised it took this long for someone to say this.
    Theoretically I agree; their dough, their decision. One could say it???s relative, too - $10mil to him is like a $1000 for others and, given the distribution of wealth in the world, $10 for even more. It???s a bit much, but not too much to spend on a loved one.

I think at this point, people who have this much money have lost perspective.

I wonder who will DJ her wedding???

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

But for a supposedly religious ceremony? Ceremoney? I dont know much about Bar-mitzvahs or Bat-mitzvahs but i think i know what a mitzvah is supposed to be and I dont see how this qualifies.

It definitely sends a questionable message to the kid. Traditionally, the bar mitzvah is the jewish boy's entrance into the religious community. He can now read from the torah and participate in ritual. Bat Mitzvah's are the same deal, only a far more recent invention. A good number of Jewish traditions don't allow women to read form the torah or participate in ritual as do men. Regardless, celebrating the ceremony with a ten million dollar shindig certainly seems to draw attention away from its real significance. For largely assimilated Jews, I think bar and bat mitzvas became more about the family party than anything else decades ago. Needless to say, big bucks were not being spent on the shtetl bar mitzvahs of my grandfather's generation.

Speaking of the shtetl, Paul Barman is excatly the sort of fellow who ought to stay in the yeshiva. Dude's pallour is not healthy! And his shirt is a seriously bad look. I know it's his schtick, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Its not really the money thing. Its really not my buisiness how people spend it.

It definitely sends a questionable message to the kid. Traditionally, the bar mitzvah is the jewish boy's entrance into the religious community. He can now read from the torah and participate in ritual. Bat Mitzvah's are the same deal, only a far more recent invention. A good number of Jewish traditions don't allow women to read form the torah or participate in ritual as do men. Regardless, celebrating the ceremony with a ten million dollar shindig certainly seems to draw attention away from its real significance. For largely assimilated Jews, I think bar and bat mitzvas became about the family party than anything else decades ago. Needless to say, big bucks were not being spent on the shtetl bar mitzvahs of my grandfather's generation.

Think again my friend. My grandfather Mo's bar mitzvah featured Chaim Pearlgut, who was very, very big in the Yiddish Theatre back in New York. He was in the very, the sardonically irreverent "Dibbik, Schmibbik, I Said More Ham" and that revue, I believe, was 1914 and that revue is what made him famous. Incidently, the song "Bouby Made a Kishka" came from that revue.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Needless to say, big bucks were not being spent on the shtetl bar mitzvahs of my grandfather's generation.

So no power combos like Mario Lanza backed by Andre Kostelanetz and his orchestra?

It definitely sends a questionable message to the kid. Traditionally, the bar mitzvah is the jewish boy's entrance into the religious community. He can now read from the torah and participate in ritual. Bat Mitzvah's are the same deal, only a far more recent invention. A good number of Jewish traditions don't allow women to read form the torah or participate in ritual as do men. Regardless, celebrating the ceremony with a ten million dollar shindig certainly seems to draw attention away from its real significance. For largely assimilated Jews, I think bar and bat mitzvas became about the family party than anything else decades ago. Needless to say, big bucks were not being spent on the shtetl bar mitzvahs of my grandfather's generation.

Think again my friend. My grandfather Mo's bar mitzvah featured Chaim Pearlgut, who was very, very big in the Yiddish Theatre back in New York. He was in the very, the sardonically irreverent "Dibbik, Schmibbik, I Said More Ham" and that revue, I believe, was 1914 and that revue is what made him famous. Incidently, the song "Bouby Made a Kishka" came from that revue.

Oi! Now I'm wanting some kishka (not really, true kishka is kind of bleh). Ok, you're right; I should have been more specific. When I was thinking of my grandparents' generation I was thinking of the Europ. Yiddish theatre was alive and well in Poland for sure, but the parties were of a more basic sort in places like this:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "Dibbik, Schmibbik, I Said More Ham"

more plaese, this stuff is radd

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

another $10mil for him to actually put a record on!

• "Dibbik, Schmibbik, I Said More Ham"

more plaese, this stuff is radd

To be found here

• Its not really the money thing. Its really not my buisiness how people spend it.

Oi! Now I'm wanting some kishka (not really, true kishka is kind of bleh). Ok, you're right; I should have been more specific. When I was thinking of my grandparents' generation I was thinking of the Europ. Yiddish theatre was alive and well in Poland for sure, but the parties were of a more basic sort in places like this:

babylon, y'all, babylon. let's not get caught up in the nostalgia of the ghetto. shit was nathan nice. yiddish is a product of a most backward environment - the galut. let's move on. time to build.

• WATCH OUT RASSCLAT, OR YOU'LL CATCH A SPEEDKNOT[/b]