Midweek digs 11/28-12/2

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

What's up with that Hellers? Different press of the Command lp?

• MikeZero- nice digs man, whats up with that Lyonhill?

Lyonhills is a local rock album from '77 that's been getting a little attention recently. It's pretty well written/recorded but on the more mainstream side of things. Definitely not "psychy" or "proggish"...there is a subtle rural vibe to it which is nice. Acid Archives wrote a review on this which is worth reading (and no doubt has created a little demand for it). Still pops up pretty frequently in this area...

• What's up with that Hellers? Different press of the Command lp?

No, it's actually a promotional 10" album that they must have used to solicit ad work from companies/corporations. Lot's of funny, dated hippie era lingo and script writting. A classic in the ad record world...more fun for the spoken parts than the music imo...

What's up with that Hellers? Different press of the Command lp?

No, it's actually a promotional 10" album that they must have used to solicit ad work from companies/corporations. Lot's of funny, dated hippie era lingo and script writting. A classic in the ad record world...more fun for the spoken parts than the music imo...

ahhh... I've heard of that one. Hugh Heller actually ran an ad agency, I guess. they were not really a real band - just some studio project that did jingles & stuff.

• Two fun ones yesterday:

• What's up with that Hellers? Different press of the Command lp?

Is that a later West Coast Pop Art record? Is it cool?

• That Hellers is hella annoying and worth way too much to certain types. I traded mine away for an original Daisy Chain facemelt

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    My Dad has the Surfink record on his wall,as well as all others on Capital in the same genre. They are all in record frames so no listen. What kind of music is it? Plus the covers are real dope. Also, if youre not feelin it i think they go for quit a bit on Ebay.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My Dad has the Surfink record on his wall,as well as all others on Capital in the same genre. They are all in record frames so no listen. What kind of music is it? Plus the covers are real dope. Also, if youre not feelin it i think they go for quit a bit on Ebay.

The music is novelty surf-vocal stuff ala Jan and Dean/Fantastic Baggys style stuff from the mid 60s. I have a double CD of all the Weird-Os records output, but it is not terrific music by any stretch. I need that Surfink on my wall though! Your Pops sounds like a cool guy.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    That Kinks LP is

got a UKstereo spare if anyone needsiy.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Found some records here and some records there;

lijadu sister - double trouble
    winston edwards & blackbeard - dub conference
    presenting the posse on Uptempo
    dreads at the controls - master showcase
    i-roy- the godfather
    revolutionairies - roots man dub (strangely w/ the label for a willows 12")
    lee perry - on the wire
    lee perry - heart of the ark on Seven Leaves
    train to zion dub on tuff gong
    roots to roots/ soul to soul on tads
    africa, iron gate - showcase
    young generation vibrations on Tachyon (wackies)
    kalima - night time shadows
    cabaret voltaire - the voice of america
    sun city girls - first one on placebo
    sun city girls - grotto of miracles
    sonic youth - evol
    sonic youth - 2nd issue of the first one
    chrome - red exposure
    chrome - in worlds
    chrome - blood on the moon
    slits/pop group 7"
    ocho - II
    seguida - love is
    jim friedman - hungry
    lyn christopher - s/t
    sydney joe qualls - so sexy

Ari, holler if want rid of those chrome records.

• some frosty fingered unheated storage space scores:

Dog Soldiers = Keef Hartley, hathaway uber-OST white label,liebman drummy thing,
    this crow iz good rock!, milton naskfjgkdjgkdjento, catalyst killer, idris killer,
    ayers killer, froese synthfarts, bass abc collection, little richard jumps shark,
    cool old radio station collection.

jamal, burton/jarret, michael white, burton young'un, tjader 70s, elvin '71, early
    mangione, mccoy beauty, tjader/byrd, pharoah i never knew about, free movement, viv
    reed.

embryo w/ mariano, acqua = weird psyche, forest = flutey vertigo folk with sticks
    and twigs and faeries, aphrodites child best of, art ensemble, ridley on strata
    east, rahsaan 3 sider(?!?), hardy beauty, sly + robbie '85, marketts, albert king
    MONSTER and so hard to find - stoked on this one!, tarika blue nice early 70s
    indie jazz

fela 12" on celluloid, hey emitt had a 3rd album i had no idea, coltrane
    meditations 1st press mint!, damnation, splendor mod soul, free smoke rock, jack
    bruce classic, boyd mccoy = upstate NY white boy early 70s trying to channel
    james brown - sorta succeeds here and there!, Hair '79, heart of glass 12",
    barbara = nice french lounge pop, many have m.colombier orch/arragements, delroy
    wilson - what press is this? its on Dynamic DY 3324 - heavy cardboard heavy
    record - paste on front cover, sticker says "this album is one of the magnificent
    7 for 71 from dynamics".

aretha, The Sweets 1st - i think, platoon OST, dune OST, Collage? Le Orme? on
    Philips, Jane+Serge classic, black rain OST (aw yeah), r.dean taylor (wtf) on
    rare earth, gants kinda animalsish 60s rock, cat mother, bill laswell, Etta
    James's 1st LP - tough one very happy to find it.

rediculous unplayed 1st pressings haul of James Brown. all of these are stone
    mint, serious upgrade time ova here!!!

• wow...nice finds. That Coltrane album is

• just four records, but all killers...these ought to hold me over for awhile, I need money for rent and food and other bullshit like that.

Al Green "Gets next to You"(Hi)
    James Brown "Sexmachine"(King)
    Big Star "3rd"(PVC)
    Them "again"(Decca)

I need money for rent and food and other bullshit like that.

WEAK

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Some more stuff. All jacketless, though. I really wish I was able to post MP3s like I used to. Some of these thrift finds lately have been killing it

??ngel Canales "Live at Roseland" (TR)...live Puerto Rican salsa

Pari Zanganeh LP from 1976...I forgot the exact title and label since I'm at work. Record pressed in Iran by a blind, Persian female folk singer. The musical orchestration is influenced by American pop/rock.

Los Apaches (Discesa)...Again, the exact album title escapes me at the moment. A couple of winners here: a wah-wah organ based version of "Green Eyed Lady" and a funky fuzz rock tune. Los Angeles based.

• got both LPs from danish jazz/fusion band(with female singer) for free! not a $ spend.

Ariel - Same
    Ariel - Solens b??rn

and I bought 2nd copy spotnicks "Back in the race" with soulful strut because it was cheap.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ??ngel Canales "Live at Roseland" (TR)...live Puerto Rican salsa

Love that guy! His live stuff is sweet (only have cd's though )

• my latest:

Sweet Norma Jones - Spice 45