Numark Portable/Serato Question

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Basic question: I'm considering recording vinyl from my Numark PT01 skraight into my laptop (SoundForge) then converting to MP3 for Serato purposes. Would the sound quality be "passable" for club gigs? I usually encode at 256, but I'll play 192kbps stuff. And yes, I know that it's preferable to record from a Technics 1200 with better needles, but I'm considering doing this because I could do it from work. Thanks.

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

I'd strongly suggest no, even at the bitrate. Stick to using a good turntable, it makes a big difference.

• That's all I need to know. Thanks!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I'd strongly suggest no, even at the bitrate. Stick to using a good turntable, it makes a big difference.
    especially if you're considering going in through the standard 1/8" input. donnadoit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hoggy,

All I know is that I record from my Vestax portable using the stereo out lines into a microphone jack but it's all in mono. I can't tell if it's the portable, the y-line adapter or the mic input. I suspect it's the portable though.

Basic question: I'm considering recording vinyl from my Numark PT01 skraight into my laptop (SoundForge) then converting to MP3 for Serato purposes. Would the sound quality be "passable" for club gigs? I usually encode at 256, but I'll play 192kbps stuff.

And yes, I know that it's preferable to record from a Technics 1200 with better needles, but I'm considering doing this because I could do it from work.

Thanks. [/quote
    ]

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    All I know is that I record from my Vestax portable using the stereo out lines into a microphone jack but it's all in mono. I can't tell if it's the portable, the y-line adapter or the mic input. I suspect it's the portable though.

I don't know if I understand your technique, but my money is on the Y-adapter. The purpose of a "normal" Y adapter is to sum two (stereo) signals into a singular (mono) signal. You would need a balanced/stereo adapter to keep a true signal.

If the single end of your adapter is balanced/stereo (you can tell because it's Tip-Ring-Sleeve), then it would convert in stereo, if it's only Tip-Sleeve, then it's summing to mono.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Never mind the connections. Numarks sound quality is shit. If you play one of those frequency record, or have one of those stroboscopic discs you can see/hear how imperfect those things really are. I use mine strictly for digging purposes.

Cheap belt drive = Not a good sound

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    Hoggy,

it's most likely the mic input. i had the same problem with my old laptop (it only recorded in mono) .. when i got a new soundcard with a line-in it recorded in stereo.

• on a similiar note, i just saw this USB turntable in a catalog the other day for $140. it lets you convert vinyl directly into mp3. is this a waste of money?

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IONITTUSB

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    on a similiar note, i just saw this USB turntable in a catalog the other day for $140. it lets you convert vinyl directly into mp3. is this a waste of money?

By the looks of the tonearm and cart, yes. But a digital out is not a bad thing. Probalby more useful on a mixer - is that possible?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Probalby more useful on a mixer - is that possible?
    technically, that's four more connections to degrade the signal.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's not the y-line or line-in. I've used the same adapter to record from my mixer to my laptop and it records in stereo. I'm pretty sure the Vestax doesn't output in true stereo. It does output separate left/right channels but the fidelity sounds like mono crap.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    on a similiar note, i just saw this USB turntable in a catalog the other day for $140. it lets you convert vinyl directly into mp3. is this a waste of money?

By the looks of the tonearm and cart, yes. But a digital out is not a bad thing. Probalby more useful on a mixer - is that possible?

i saw this the other day as well and was wondering the real shcoop on it.

as for a mixer, yes

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Has anyone used anything from this brand? I believe this is the brand that (T)urban Outfitters sells.

If so, a few months back they had buy-one-get-one-free portables of this brand for $99, to the best of my recollection. I would be wary of the quality.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Has anyone used anything from this brand? I believe this is the brand that (T)urban Outfitters sells.

If so, a few months back they had buy-one-get-one-free portables of this brand for $99, to the best of my recollection. I would be wary of the quality.

Someone told me that Urban Outfitters had stacks of cheap turntables to get rid of because they thought that the number of record bags sold meant people would need turntables. Not sure if it was a crappy quality issue or not.

• as for a mixer, yes

DUDE only $60?? thank you!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

as for a mixer, yes

please to report back with pm or thread regarding how it works, i need to know the truth!

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

as for a mixer, yes

These must be flying off the shelves:

Hook up two Windows/Mac laptops to the mixer

• yeah i don't know what is wrong with my computer now, but when i try to record sound from the 1/8 input jack, it records it all tinny. i had this problem when i tried to remaster old mixtapes by recording them through cooledit.

but if i have the tapedeck play through the mixer into my computer through the usb, do you guys think i will still have this problem? i think the problem is my input jack.

• Probalby more useful on a mixer - is that possible?

They make the Mackie Onyx series with an optional firewire card for interfacing with computer audio software now. Those look like hot little mixers in fact, I'm thinking of picking up a 1220 for the studio.

Not to stray too far, but does anybody know anything about the Mackie Onyx series? Is the 1220 worth $500? These are line mixers BTW, not DJ. Sorry If I'm way off topic.

To hop back on topic, I would agree that if you have any regard for the quality of your recording, I would not record from any portable turntable. You're better off using a sturdy, full sized turntable with a quality tone arm (preferably curved if I remember correctly) and cartridge.

• problem probably is your input jack/onboard sound card. that's an area where manufacturers usually cheap out. the usb mixer SHOULD be better quality, but you've got to do the homework and find out. there are usb external sound cards in that price range or just above it that would allow you to record straight from tape deck to laptop with pretty respectable sound quality. i would personnaly go that route unless you really have cretaive ideas for the mixer.

• ya, i'm pretty sure the portable is to blame.

• I'd strongly suggest no, even at the bitrate. Stick to using a good turntable, it makes a big difference.

what he said, plus make sure the sound card you're recording into is quality. most onboard stock sound cards suk.

• yeah i don't know what is wrong with my computer now, but when i try to record sound from the 1/8 input jack, it records it all tinny. i had this problem when i tried to remaster old mixtapes by recording them through cooledit.

but if i have the tapedeck play through the mixer into my computer through the usb, do you guys think i will still have this problem? i think the problem is my input jack.

you should definitely try testing it different ways. try running the tape deck through something first (mixer, receiver, etc) and then into your computer, then try running say, a cd player or portable turntable into your computer and see if the same sound is resulting from each test. if so, that would insinuate that your input was screwed up, or your computer's recording properties have changed. i remember back when I used to use the regular stock computer soundcard and microsoft sound mapper, i had to mess with muting certain ins and outs in order for the sound to come in clean without any feedback loops or anything like that. you really have to experiement. another test you can do is try going in through the mic in as opposed to the line in and see if that has any effect. if you have mic and line in, that is. if you PM me (or respond to my PM i sent you even), i'd be glad to help you more, i have several years of experience with computer audio and hardware. peace.

b

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    for cheap laptop soundcard jumpoffs, i can recommend the echo indigo i/o. it should run you about 125, uses a pc card slot, and has one in and one out. 1/8" ins and outs.

i just picked up a new cartridge for recording and shit sounds great. i have no idea why i spent all the time recording shit on my old needles but after school is out im going to have to rerecord a bunch of shit now.