What do you think about books like this?

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You would do well to buy that shit young scrapper. Hella information in there. It'll pay itself off easy in the amount of shit you get hipped to.

I love fools who want to keep this digging shit a mystery, yet they don't know or have shit. If the contributors to books like this felt the same way, you would still be jocking return to forever and shitz.

Wasn't that you putting me on blast last week for revealing to much info?

I think we need more reference books not fewer. Knowledge is a pro.

Dan

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BTW outside of online databases, have there ever been any kind of disco 12" or reggae 45 guides published? Those would be kinda dope too.

http://www.reggaezine.co.uk/bulletinknottyroots.html

• BTW outside of online databases, have there ever been any kind of disco 12" or reggae 45 guides published? Those would be kinda dope too.

Thanks. Looks pretty good.

Is it?

And more importantly, do I need its Mento 78 Label Gallery in my life??

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BTW outside of online databases, have there ever been any kind of disco 12" or reggae 45 guides published? Those would be kinda dope too.

Thanks. Looks pretty good.

Is it?

And more importantly, do I need its Mento 78 Label Gallery in my life??

I have no idea--some collectors speak of it reverentially, but I could never get past that title.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I recall looking at the lexicon in about 98 and printing out a few pages worth of 45s to check for. After finding maybe 25 of em within a few months, and 3 of the 25 being any good, I gave up on making lists entirely, (not to mention I eventually realized how big the world of records is, and funk is not all I was into).

These books are the shit for reference purposes, but I doubt even Mr. Wermlinger cares to own alot of the titles listed in the book anyways.

Nothing against the Lexicon, cuz its fucking radd, but Dante and Shadow's funk 45 book will make this one null, if they ever finish it. If any book will get record collectors biting their nails, it will probobly be theirs. Of course without the knowledge of the big collectors like Peter Wermlinger and his ilk, their book wouldn't be thorough.

IMO, there needs to be more books like this already. Musicians, and the music they made even 30 to 40 years ago is slowly fading into obscurity and trashcans, and its important to have solid documentation of this stuff. Fuck holding on to the knowledge for your own personal gain, nothing should be . Of course, its ok to hold on to it for a little while, as long as you make the effort to let it loose eventually.

Theres a great series of Japanese only books I've seen at Dusty Groove that deal with Latin, Soft Rock, Jazz, etc. Someone should make these available in English plaese.

I havent made a post this long forever. What the hell is wrong with me???

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Theres a great series of Japanese only books I've seen at Dusty Groove that deal with Latin, Soft Rock, Jazz, etc. Someone should make these available in English plaese.

I have the Japanese Blue Note and Prestige books, also a rare groove book. They are great references. If there is label info in them, I can't decipher it. There is a pic of almost every cover, with #, year, players, songs, then a short paragraph in Japanese that I assume is a review.

Dan

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm surprised it's taken this long for you to make this thread, Planet, considering that we've had a few threads related to the Lexicon already.

I don't share your feelings. Maybe at one point I would have been like "gah! They're putting everybody up on Body & Soul!", but I soon found out many, many, MANY people were already up on Body & Soul. And tons of others in the book because a lot of these (LPs) are already well known.

I personally bought it for the PRON aspect but I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit as well. I'm far from a big dude when it comes to records and I thank anyone who wants to go to the trouble of documenting and publishing something of this magnitude.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    seriously, the funk lexicon has been around since the late 90's. I remember a buddy got one in like 98 or 99 & was all shook up cause it had Jimmy Jewels & his nuclear soul whatever xmas done got funky lp.

LATE PASS

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I'm surprised it's taken this long for you to make this thread, Planet, considering that we've had a few threads related to the Lexicon already.

I don't share your feelings. Maybe at one point I would have been like "gah! They're putting everybody up on Body & Soul!", but I soon found out many, many, MANY people were already up on Body & Soul. And tons of others in the book because a lot of these (LPs) are already well known.
    I personally bought it for the PRON aspect but I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit as well. I'm far from a big dude when it comes to records and I thank anyone who wants to go to the trouble of documenting and publishing something of this magnitude.

Well I was just wondering how strutters felt about a book like this after coming across it. I find these books interesting but I hardly pay attenion to tell you the truth. Flipping through these books like that Freddie Fresh book is about as far as I go.

• Hi together,

Don't want to disturb this discussion, I'm not neutral in this case ;-) but I like to reply on a few statements I've read.

- Thanks for the positive feedback!!

- "... reveals all there is to know" -> not ALL, I or maybe nobody will be able to say it covers "all" (I already have a lot of updates to come)
    - "... pushing prices up" -> not really, as the book is around since late 80s. Also those who simply thought to buy together the gallery sequentially, made the experience that they better discuss with other collectors before buying the records, as the tastes vary and the scope of this book is wide.
    - "... cares to own a lot of the titles" -> yes there are many I don't have or I don't want to have even they might be judged as must have. I have my own taste and actively limit my collection. But the task on the lexicon makes it necessary to be more neutral (at least as much as possible).
    - pro/con having information available. It's up to everybody's opinion. I published information on records I was still looking for desperately and often others found them before myself and in some cases I still don't have it while other have found it. But it's still worth to spread the information. One example, some records I really want, have been found at least beause other have known about their existence and in many cases I got at least a recording and because I know sometimes who has it, you never know I have a trade item to get it that way. So better there is a copy at some place then there is non, even if that place is not my place :-)

Peter