What do you think about books like this?

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Image hosted by Photobucket.comApparently this book reveals all there is to know about the Funk Raer. Pretty pricey too. Do you consider this cheating??

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Do you consider this cheating??

No.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I believe the staements you have made are false. And to answer your question, no.

• Apparently this book reveals all there is to know about the Funk Raer.

Except where to get them.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

I believe the staements you have made are false. And to answer your question, no.

What statements are you talking about? Ok short cuts.

• You would do well to buy that shit young scrapper. Hella information in there. It'll pay itself off easy in the amount of shit you get hipped to.

I love fools who want to keep this digging shit a mystery, yet they don't know or have shit. If the contributors to books like this felt the same way, you would still be jocking return to forever and shitz.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Don't get me wrong I think these books are dope for the info. There are pros and cons to everything don't ya think?

• I don't see a con to this at all.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    reading is cheating.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I love fools who want to keep this digging shit a mystery

I MADE ALL THOSE RECORDS MYSELF

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I don't see a con to this at all.

Not at all? Not even one? So you don't think that prices will be driven up because of a book like this? Hey I'm just asking.

• Unless you get the information telepathically from the record, you are cheating.

• Unless you get the information telepathically from the record, you are cheating.
    you don't cop the raers.. the raers cop you..

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Not at all? Not even one? So you don't think that prices will be driven up because of a book like this? Hey I'm just asking.

No cons in my opinion either. I appreciate him making the info available to others. The book is necessary for anyone serious about funk 45s.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I mean you guys hate on breaks.com a lot but how is this different? Again just asking.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why would they be? I haven't had a chance to look at the print edition yet, but as I recall the online edition simply consisted of photos and discographical information--it provided no indication whatsoever as to which records were quality and which ones were terds.

And if prices do go up, how is that a net con? For those on the selling side of the fence it's definetely a pro.

Your secret squirrel ethic establishes further that you are living in a decade other than the present one.

I mean you guys hate on breaks.com a lot but how is this different? Again just asking.

People don't hate on that website because they view it as snitching--they hate on it because it's populated by toys that don't know music and whose guiding principles ("samples, yo!") make it unlikely that they will ever really know music.

• Apparently this book reveals all there is to know about the Funk Raer. Pretty pricey too. Do you consider this cheating??

If someone considers this book pricy, it's probably a good bet they won't be able to afford the "most raer" pieces listed within, so really, everybody wins. Ballers stay ballers, lil dudes remain in the sandbox...and without reading material, at that.

Lots of work go into books (and websites) like the Funk Lexikon. It's amazing to me that people look for reasons to hatt on such efforts.

If someone considers this book pricy, it's probably a good bet they won't be able to afford the "most raer" pieces listed within, so really, everybody wins. Ballers stay ballers, lil dudes remain in the sandbox...and without reading material, at that.

Oh schnapp!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    [l information--it provided no indication whatsoever as to which records were quality and which ones were terds.

And if prices do go up, how is that a net con? For those on the selling side of the fence it's definetely a pro.

It's a con on the buying side. Especially if the book doesn't indicate if a record is a terd, then those terds and their price tag will go up don't ya think, just cause it's in this book. hey I'm just saying, there are definite pros and cons to everything.

• I don't see a con to this at all.

Well, the first edition of this book came out years ago, I remember a (then) big-time dealer showing it to me back in like 99. So it's not gonna just drive up prices all of a sudden. Second of all, the truly rare and in demand records in the book have been and will continue to be expensive. Anything else, if the price goes up, oh well. These things go in cycles.

Nothing's a secret dude. NOTHING.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Oh peach schnapps!

• People don't hate on that website because they view it as snitching

"TAKE THAT SH*T TO THE-YACHTCLUB.COM SON"

it provided no indication whatsoever as to which records were quality and which ones were terds.

It's a con on the buying side. Especially if the book doesn't indicate if a record is a terd, then those terds and their price tag will go up don't ya think, just cause it's in this book. hey I'm just saying, there are definite pros and cons to everything.

Why would the price increase if the book doesn't offer any qualitative information on the record? And if some toy overspends on a terd of a record just because he saw it in Wermelinger's book, my heart is supposed to bleed?

• People don't hate on that website because they view it as snitching

"TAKE THAT SH*T TO THE-YACHTCLUB.COM SON"

if premo is dj coke who's dj pepsi

• Why would the price increase if the book doesn't offer any qualitative information on the record?

BTW I think this new edition actually does have some vague guidelines as to what records are rarer than others, even if it doesn't assign exact monetary values.

Still, Freddy Fresh's THE RAP RECORDS did the same thing, but I don't recall anybody ever bagging on that book. And with good reason: it's an excellent and interesting resource.

And are people complaining about the existence of the Manship soul 45 guides? Other than the wildly speculative pricing?

As long as the information is accurate in these kinds of publications, I'm all for 'em.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Apparently this book reveals all there is to know about the Funk Raer. Pretty pricey too. Do you consider this cheating??

Lots of work go into books (and websites) like the Funk Lexikon. It's amazing to me that people look for reasons to hatt on such efforts.

True, but I'm not tryng to hate on the efforts at all. I'm just trying to see what the overall feelings are on a book like this, that's all.

• I'm not tryng to hate on the efforts at all. I'm just trying to see what the overall feelings are on a book like this, that's all.

Word. No disrespect intended.

But believe me there are people reading this thread right now who are boiling mad about the FUNK LEXIKON, THE RAP RECORDS, The Manship Guides, etc. because they think somehow their very publication is personally pushing them out of the collecting game somehow.

And if they feel that way, great. More records for the rest of us.

• i??m still waitin for my post package.

...it got no snippets inside so it??s a non cheater book

• BTW outside of online databases, have there ever been any kind of disco 12" or reggae 45 guides published? Those would be kinda dope too.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    BTW outside of online databases, have there ever been any kind of disco 12" or reggae 45 guides published? Those would be kinda dope too.

I think there may be a Reggae guide but don't quote me. My friend is into Reggae and he's got a record store and I sort of recall a book like this in his shop. But like I said don't quote me on this.