HOW TO TRADE SAFELY? (via the internet)

pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
edited November 2005 in Vinyl Wants / Trades
Yo I??m new to this record trading stuff. How do you guys do it?

Comments

• Trust.

With big trades, you've gotta know the guy/gal you're dealing with is legit and serious.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yo I??m new to this record trading stuff.

How do you guys do it?
    I do it in person.

Trading over the Internet with folks that I have never met doesn't sit well with me.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm leary of under 10 post dude who wants Placebo Ball Of Eyes, but other than that it's all good. I've never even come close to having a problem in the 3 years I've been trading with folls on tha_'strut.

• I recommend to ask for registered mail at first time.

And usually the other rule I fix is that the one who ask for trade send first.

I'm leary of under 10 post dude who wants Placebo Ball Of Eyes, but other than that it's all good. I've never even come close to having a problem in the 3 years I've been trading with folls on tha_'strut.
    I hear you on the Placebo tip. Asking for shit like that and offering up some shit that's not close to seeing that is garbage.

Crink, how do you do it? Serious question. I know there's a lot of cool people here on this board (from my perspective) but how do you trust that someone will try to pull a fast one on you? Especially if there far away from you.

I hear you on the Placebo tip. Asking for shit like that and offering up some shit that's not close to seeing that is garbage.

Crink, how do you do it? Serious question. I know there's a lot of cool people here on this board (from my perspective) but how do you trust that someone will try to pull a fast one on you? Especially if there far away from you.

I guess starting out it was just blind trust, but also, 3 years ago there were a lot less people here. I guess it'd be tougher now. but one thing to remember is that most of the people who trade here want to continue to trade here. I think the fear of slander on the board keeps people honest.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Anybody ever been ripped off big time here?

I guess starting out it was just blind trust, but also, 3 years ago there were a lot less people here. I guess it'd be tougher now. but one thing to remember is that most of the people who trade here want to continue to trade here. I think the fear of slander[/b] on the board keeps people honest.
    Also, the fear of a beatdown. I bet there's some real live dudes on this board that will go all out, if they get jerked on a trade.

Thanks for your insight. I may reconsider my no-trade on the internet policy.

I guess starting out it was just blind trust, but also, 3 years ago there were a lot less people here. I guess it'd be tougher now. but one thing to remember is that most of the people who trade here want to continue to trade here. I think the fear of slander[/b] on the board keeps people honest.

Also, the fear of a beatdown[/b]. I bet there's some real live dudes on this board that will go all out, if they get jerked on a trade[/b].

Thanks for your insight. I may reconsider my no-trade on the internet policy.

there definitely are.

• Anybody ever been ripped off big time here?

i have been ripped off twice...

not " big time " but $50... $100.

some might see this as "big time".

• Anybody ever been ripped off big time here?

by who ? call him out

as a part time seller and trader i have only been ripped off once but that wasn't a trade. ravi....

in 7 years of dealing over the internet i've only been ripped off once in a trade. i don't know why but it never even occured to me that there would be people ripping people off. the thought never even entered my mind. i doubt there are very many con men who know records that well. you can usually tell when someone knows their shit.

i guess theoretically some con man could take a crash course by hanging out on soulstrut and rip somebody off. that would be a lot of work for very little.

• Trust.

goes along way on the strut. never had a problem that couldn't be worked out.

• i've traded twice using the soulstrut message board and havent had any problems. if youre skeptical w/ the person youre trading with, maybe you can ask around to see if anybody has traded with them before.

ive trade with Famous Mortimer & PKNY before and have no complaints about it.

-rich

by who ? call him out

as a part time seller and trader i have only been ripped off once but that wasn't a trade. ravi....

in 7 years of dealing over the internet i've only been ripped off once in a trade. i don't know why but it never even occured to me that there would be people ripping people off. the thought never even entered my mind. i doubt there are very many con men who know records that well. you can usually tell when someone knows their shit.

i guess theoretically some con man could take a crash course by hanging out on soulstrut and rip somebody off. that would be a lot of work for very little.
    can you be a con artist and a record connoisseur? I think so.

is there something to gain by fellow strutters? I would think the big payoff would be a diamond heist or something like that.

I'm paranoid because I've been around some shady record types (and just plain shady individuals). In addition to possibly getting jerked, there's always the possibility of records getting broken in the mail.

by who ? call him out
    co-sign. this person needs to be put on blast.

In one of the situations AP is talking about it was more of an accident/bungled type thing than a con. I think. This is based on reading the thread it came up in.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Once and once only.

Guy on here with the handle Hostyle - real name Matthew Langfear.

Apart from that though, trades are sweet with strutters.
    I am just a little more careful now and always note the "under 10 post wants my Placebo - ball of eyes" factor.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I've had only solid trading experiences with strutters - A+ WOULD TRADE AGAIN

• hey...

i said it once before and i might as well say it again.

i bought a johnny griffin the kerry dancers off a soulstrut set sale list.

it was an " original pressing ".

$60 was the price. i sell it for $150 so i was like sure i'll take it.

it comes in the mail from europe and it is a eurotrash reissue.

i do not understand why it was advertised as OG when dude was selling german jimmy smith root down on ebay and marked it as a german pressing.

before buying i asked if it was original US pressing and he said yes.

so i get it and its garbage so i send it back.

dude says he never got it.

i export 15,000 records a year and have lost 4 parcels in my entire life.

i have never lost a parcel to this dudes country.

later he says that his neighbor friend stole his mail and i am shit out of luck.

to me it is the same thing as stealing my record.

secure your crib or whatever dude.

weaksauce.

ask someone else this dudes name. it came out once before. never offered to cover the loss.

whatever.

ap

AP, that shit sucks. Personally, i feel that wack-ass people like that sould be outted, for the sake of the community, and especially for those of us who transact fairly regularly with fellow strutters.

If I knew who this dude was, i would DEFINITELY think twice about buying from him.

And as aside, it wasn't hard to find out with the aid for the search function on soulstrut!

Peace
    K.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

ask someone else this dudes name. it came out once before. never offered to cover the loss.

whatever.

ap

AP, I can understand why you'd be hestitant to reveal the delinquent strutter's name, but I think the fear of getting called out by one's peers is probably the biggest (and possibly only) safeguard we have when conducting business through this site. I for one would have no problem banning a strutter who is cheating people. Taking advantage of the trust that used to make this site a cool place is really inexcusable.

That being said, I've done a tonne of trading through this site and, on the whole, it's been a swell experience. Watch out from Crinky, though; you'll wake up with dead animals beside you.

• i bought a johnny griffin the kerry dancers off a soulstrut set sale list.

That would be me. I fully understand that you're still salty, AP, but bringing this up again is not the best of looks imho.

I am completely honest in my trades / sales, and there are a number of strutters who can vouch for that.

Allow me to respond.[/b]

i do not understand why it was advertised as OG when dude was selling german jimmy smith root down on ebay and marked it as a german pressing.

before buying i asked if it was original US pressing and he said yes.

so i get it and its garbage so i send it back.

I graded and described the Griffin to the best of my knowledge. You asked me if it was an OG and i replied that i wasn't sure, after which i described the sleeve, lables, runout markings/ stamps etc. I assumed you would be the well-informed one to tell me that it wasn't an og. I DID NOT KNOW.

When you received the record and wasn't staisfied, i told you you could send it back and i would refund you [/b]

dude says he never got it.

He didn't.

I also didn't receive your mixcd which you sent out well over a month before the Griffin deal. This probably has to do with the fact that i was receiving death-threats from a dude in my house who had gone into psychosis.

This caused me and other people living at the adress a lot of inconvenience, for instance: we could not live at said adress untill he was evicted. A lot of mail and /or personal belongings were lost.
    [/b]

later he says that his neighbor friend stole his mail and i am shit out of luck.

to me it is the same thing as stealing my record.

I'm not one for throwing situations like these out on the street, so i was hoping the record just hadn't arrived yet.
    [/b]

never offered to cover the loss.

Ehhm... AP: i Paypalled you $35 upfront without having received the record as a way of showing my good intentions (ID #6V82*********742J). We agreed that i would send you the remaining $25 when in received the record.[/b]

I am willing to do so after all, but would appreciate it if you stop bringing this up and portraying me as a dubious "eurodude"

• Hey... I never named you in any of this. I just tell it like it is. I would not say anything at all if I did not have multiple people on this site asking me to disclose what happened for the sake of safe trading.

I totally dispute what you are saying. I was told that this was an original copy, not... " eh, maybe ". I would not mail order a record from europe and pay the postage if i did not check this with you first.

I says fontana germany right on the back of the thing. Cover was a paste around laminate. I could tell in 3 seconds that it was not a US pressing. I would be shocked if you couldn't. Your ebay auctions list your other items as german pressings. Why shuffle this off on soulstrut as OG?

Its not my fault you do not have secure mail. I take care of my customers and take care of my mail. I dont really get this whole thing.

I don't really care about the $72. I just care about making soulstrut a safe place to trade. I do a lot of trades and have only had one problem. This one. I mention it twice now without naming names because the whole thing start to finish is seedy and weak. Sorry.

I'm not mad at you and do not want anything from you. I have been burned way worse before. Like when a certain someone from Las Vegas burned me for $500. I don't even care about that shit. I just care about the loss of friendship that resulted from it.

In short... Whatever dude.

ap

• I have traded with quite a few Strutters. No problems except for one with Matthew Hostyle.

Outside of the Strut I have been burned for 365 Pounds by a french guy named Maurice Mati who was living in Lyon at the time. Anybody know this fucker?

Holla,

Dress

• I says fontana germany right on the back of the thing. Cover was a paste around laminate. I could tell in 3 seconds that it was not a US pressing.

I'm sorry that i did not notice this. I wasn't out to burn you.

• like i said dude i'm over it. no hard feelings. if you think refunding me is the right thing to do go for it. if you want to keep the money that's your call. it is a $10 reissue anyway so even if you did not receive it in return becaue your mail was stolen you are not at a huge loss. i really do not care. i though the whole thing was shade but that's my opinion. i am not freaking over this. i have a good life and a nice family. i do not care about getting burned of reissues once every two years. that's really all i have to say about it.

• oh... but it was $82 not $72 ( return postage ).

thats all.

ap

• just received $37 through paypal. like i said i'm over it. no hard feelings. i did not expect to receive money back. thank you. i only bring this up because of safe trading. not because i am crying for my money back. i do not really care. i just think that the deal was bad so it should be noted. thanks for the paypal. ap

I have traded with quite a few Strutters. No problems except for one with Matthew Hostyle.

You and me both.

Can you tell us/me about your particular situation? I'm just interested since it happened to me too.