PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I vote JB'sImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I think we all do.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I think we all do.

Well is there anyone here that loves the P Funk? I've never been a fan for some reason.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    careers as a whole? JB's no question.

But man I have been listening to the Funkadelic song I Got A Thing You Got A Thing Everybody's Got A Thing, from their self titled release. Jesus christ that song is insane.

• Apples and oranges.

Two completely different breeds of funk.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'd take westbound era funkadelic over the entire jb-related catalog.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    Apples and oranges.

i think thats kind fo the point, hes asking your opinipon Id go wit JB

• Apples and oranges.

i agree 190%

I like some of my Funkadelic records more than some of my JB's records, and vice versa. Funkadelic more so than Parlaiment. I give Clinton his props though. He holds it down.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    it's not even the same type of music. Different times, differnt band leaders and different sounds.

As a sound I've never liked the P-funk vibe all that much, someone made a comment on one of my many 1-whatever number lists that I only had any pariament LP's. Theres a reason for that.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    it's not even the same type of music. Different times, differnt band leaders and different sounds.

As a sound I've never liked the P-funk vibe all that much, someone made a comment on one of my many 1-whatever number lists that I only had any pariament LP's. Theres a reason for that.

didn't they kinda set the base for all that slappity slappo modern soul you seem to love though? maybe I'm wrong tho..

• I've never liked the P-funk vibe all that much,

not even the funkadelic stuff? maggot brain, standing on the verge of getting it on, etc?

• I've never liked the P-funk vibe all that much,

not even the funkadelic stuff? maggot brain, standing on the verge of getting it on, etc?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The JB's were bad motherfuckers but they never had shit on the clinton camp when it came to black rock. Fuzzy will proceed to show you how it's done.

Funkadelic - I Got A Thing, You Got A Thing, Everybody's Got A Thing
    http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=01UQNHERGDZXE0VZYAWGNDHZPG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've never liked the P-funk vibe all that much,

I don't really consider thier pre '75 stuff to be "P-Funk" I've always equated the term with the stuff they put out on casablanca

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I don't really consider thier pre '75 stuff to be "P-Funk" I've always equated the term with the stuff they put out on casablanca

same here..p-funk to me = synths, boring drums, slap bass..the later stuff

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    I think we all do.

Well is there anyone here that loves the P Funk? I've never been a fan for some reason.

I love P-Funk, but I can't listen to it every day if you know what I mean. Parliament's Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein was one of the first Funk records I bought, it simply blew me away! Ahh shit have to listen to it right now...

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I'll go to bat for P-Funk. Mothership Connection and Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Syndrome are two of my favorite LP's ever. I love the ridiculous sci-fi themes running through each album, the wild cover art, and of course the sometimes meandering but always funky playing of Bootsy, Shider, Worrell, etc. How anyone can characterize this as boring slap-bass music is beyond me.

Granted, the Clinton empire became bloated with side projects and lackluster albums towards the end of the late 70's, but he had already cemented the P-Funk legacy by a group of solid albums through 1977.

Additionally, I see a lot of love for Osmium and Maggot Brain on here as great "black rock" records (which they are), but I think Funkadelic's Let's Take it to the Stage is just as strong. And in the spirit of today's latest RAPP BEEFS, it even has a dis towards James Brown: ("Saying you the Godfather of Soul...more like "Godmother" or "Grandfather!")

And yeah, as Secret Chimp said

Apples and oranges.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    george clinton / parliament / funkadelic / p-funk... they take it hands down anyday of the week.

the breadth of creativity / experimentalism / unhinged freakiness etc etc ... hell i even like Computer Games more than James Brown.

Maggot Brain is one of the top rock albums PERIOD, black white asian or causcasian i dont care how you label that shit other than PERFECT.

• I really have trouble understanding how dudes don't like Parliament. I mean, I guess I got into old funk around the late 80s, early 90s where that was a trend... and those were my baby-digger records, no doubt... but it's great great music. I remember when I drove to CA from NYC, I made a 120 min tape with all Parliament & Funkadelic cuts... no separation in terms of , this is rock or this is whatever... just back to back mix and it was FIRE FIRE FIRE. Parliament got some sweet azz soul too Justin you might want to dust off them recs in the garage... hahaha!

• I really have trouble understanding how dudes don't like Pariament

• the Clinton empire became bloated with side projects

love it.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    cant and never will really be able to get down to a pfunk album. ive tried clinton recs, bootsy, parliament, funkadelic, etc... doesnt work for me. i dont care for the sound of the music overall. never been a fan of their lyrics or the way they dress.

there are a handful of cuts that ive enjoyed over the years but three or four total would be about it and they would be some of the slower cuts. and yes, theyre beyond talented musicians. they made some great songs. they have a unique style and sound...

...though none of this would ever make me keep an pfunk album on the shelf of my home.

ill take that JB Funk... now i must go puff and cook breaded pork chops, garlic rice and a medley of vegetables (aka whatevers in the fridge gets stir fryed...)

• i'd take westbound era funkadelic over the entire jb-related catalog.

cosigned. I still need the Dr. Funkenstein lifesize cardboard standup!

• it depends by my mood, but atm the JB??s

• Apples and oranges.

werd

• I could go either way but parliament songs like knee-deep and give up the funk give me a lot more success playing for crowds than any JB stuff including James Brown songs. Unless playing for b-boys of course.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

I'm no expert, but wasn't Clinton taking things towards minstrel-ism with the outfits? Don't know if he ever actually wore blackface, but makes you wonder about the role of black musicians as entertainers in a white dominated market + industry. Prefer James-muthafuckin'-Brown's approach to subverting the establishment; fuck the white (WASP/European) emphasis on melody, give it up and turn it loose... rhythm, grunts, rapping, improvisation and who cares what rock music is saying. Could be way out here though, as I haven't heard all of Clinton's output. Tell me what I'm missing.

• I'm no expert, but wasn't Clinton taking things towards minstrel-ism with the outfits? Don't know if he ever actually wore blackface, but makes you wonder about the role of black musicians as entertainers in a white dominated market + industry. Prefer James-muthafuckin'-Brown's approach to subverting the establishment; fuck the white (WASP/European) emphasis on melody, give it up and turn it loose... rhythm, grunts, rapping, improvisation and who cares what rock music is saying. Could be way out here though, as I haven't heard all of Clinton's output. Tell me what I'm missing.

Yeah, with all due respect, you're way out there.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    the Clinton empire became bloated with side projects

love it.

The Brides kick ass, but I go for:

"Funk Until The Edge Of Time"...

• I'm no expert, but wasn't Clinton taking things towards minstrel-ism with the outfits? Don't know if he ever actually wore blackface, but makes you wonder about the role of black musicians as entertainers in a white dominated market + industry. Prefer James-muthafuckin'-Brown's approach to subverting the establishment; fuck the white (WASP/European) emphasis on melody, give it up and turn it loose... rhythm, grunts, rapping, improvisation and who cares what rock music is saying. Could be way out here though, as I haven't heard all of Clinton's output. Tell me what I'm missing.

Uh...no. Clinton was taking things towards Kiss-styled theatrical stage shows. And exceeding them circa 1979. Both this record and all of Kiss's output came outta Casablanca records. He was just catering to the market. As for what you're missing:

Clones of Dr. Funkenstein was one of my first LP's, too...