waking up to a murder in my building....

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
...is a really bad way to start the week. thank god i did not discover the body, but i definetly saw enough to not want to ever see that type of shit again.sorry for laying this down on the strut, but this shit is the absolute definition of and it is freaking me the fuck out. anyone have advice on how to deal with it...feel free to pass it along.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    a good way to deal with it would be to MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!!!! (if possible, of course)

• a strong deadbolt

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    a good way to deal with it would be to MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!!!! (if possible, of course)

yeah...we were gonna move anyway in the next month. granted i live in bushwick, but the area/building has never really had me shook before. but jeesh...the next month is gonna be interesting.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• ...is a really bad way to start the week. thank god i did not discover the body, but i definetly saw enough to not want to ever see that type of shit again.

sorry for laying this down on the strut, but this shit is the absolute definition of

and it is freaking me the fuck out. anyone have advice on how to deal with it...feel free to pass it along.

No being a witness in a murder trial is a bad way to start any week. And then being accused of possibly having something to do with it and going in front of the grand jury and have lawyers pick a part your life. Shit sucks.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

yeah...we were gonna move anyway in the next month. granted i live in bushwick, but the area/building has never really had me shook before. but jeesh...the next month is gonna be interesting.

I know a guy who was born in Crown Heights, and Bushwick & East NY were always the two no-go areas in Brooklyn. Funny that folls pay higher rent there than in Wburg.... although we had a gun murder here last night as well. Always on the same block - S2nd Street.

• you live in Bushwick and a murder's got you shook?! Murder in Bushwick is like church on sunday, every week without fail. Get use to it, or get yourself a dog and a gun.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    ...is a really bad way to start the week. thank god i did not discover the body, but i definetly saw enough to not want to ever see that type of shit again.

sorry for laying this down on the strut, but this shit is the absolute definition of

and it is freaking me the fuck out. anyone have advice on how to deal with it...feel free to pass it along.

No being a witness in a murder trial is a bad way to start any week. And then being accused of possibly having something to do with it and going in front of the grand jury and have lawyers pick a part your life. Shit sucks.

BEWARE THE ME MONSTER!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    you live in Bushwick and a murder's got you shook?! Murder in Bushwick is like church on sunday, every week without fail. Get use to it, or get yourself a dog and a gun.

oh...i am fully aware that bushwick is real, just my area/building doesn't come off as gully as other areas around me. but yeah...i'm moving to park slope quick fast now. thank god our lease is up in a few weeks.

• ...is a really bad way to start the week. thank god i did not discover the body, but i definetly saw enough to not want to ever see that type of shit again.

About 6 years ago, I was getting ready to move from NY to Cali & I was crashing at my friend's apartment for a few weeks until I left.
    Wouldn't you know it but the couple that lived above my friend got murdered (bag-over-the-head suffocation-style) while I slept on the couch directly below!
    Shit was crazy. I guess they slung weed or whatever but I remember seeing the one guy (he had a lazy eye) all the time.
    Hours before he was killed we passed each other on the steps outside. He was like, "what's up".
    I think that's what bugged me out the most. The fact that he was there one minute & dead the next.
    We didn't even know about it until late the next afternoon when me & my friend were coming back from shopping and there was cops & police tape all over the house.
    Cops damn near tackled my friend when he tried to enter his own apartment.

I don't really have any practical advice, but if it really bothers you that much, try watching a light movie or 2. Something pleasant.
    Maybe some Warner Bros. cartoons.

i'm moving to park slope quick fast now. thank god our lease is up in a few weeks.

aka Hipster Flight. Be warned, Park Slope is like a ghetto... a ghetto of Ikea shoppers.
    Prof Rockwell will tax your sneakers if you cross into his hood.

• i'm moving to park slope quick fast now. thank god our lease is up in a few weeks.

aka Hipster Flight. Be warned, Park Slope is like a ghetto... a ghetto of Ikea shoppers.
    Prof Rockwell will tax your sneakers if you cross into his hood.

Wait til the NYU dorms and huge condos go up in Williamsburg...there'll be a mass exodus to South Brooklyn.

• although we had a gun murder here last night as well. Always on the same block - S2nd Street.

No shit? What S2nd and where?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    although we had a gun murder here last night as well. Always on the same block - S2nd Street.

No shit? What S2nd and where?
    South 2nd Williamsburg. That's were Serpico got shot, too. (like 20 years ago)

yo, there has been mad murders in NYC over the last couple days. something's got people edgy.

• I know a guy who was born in Crown Heights, and Bushwick & East NY were always the two no-go areas in Brooklyn. Funny that folls pay higher rent there than in Wburg....

I was gonna ask, not to make light of the situation, but if you've never been shook of Bushwick before.... when did you start living there?

Bushwick used to be/was/is all kinds of fucked. One of the few places in NYC that it just wasn't alright to go to.... and at that time I was hanging out in East New York!

• South 2nd Williamsburg. That's were Serpico got shot, too. (like 20 years ago)

yo, there has been mad murders in NYC over the last couple days. something's got people edgy.

Yeah, I'm on S 1st and Roebling. Do you know which block?

• you live in Bushwick and a murder's got you shook?! Murder in Bushwick is like church on sunday, every week without fail. Get use to it, or get yourself a dog and a gun.

haha, seems yall beat me to it...

honestly I don't know where the fuck I'm gonna live next. Shit is like either fucking nyu disneyland, hipster hell, forced gentrification (and the hate that comes along with it) or just flat out ghetto.

I've been over on Utica Ave a lot recently and shit seems downright pleasant.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

I was gonna ask, not to make light of the situation, but if you've never been shook of Bushwick before.... when did you start living there?

Bushwick used to be/was/is all kinds of fucked. One of the few places in NYC that it just wasn't alright to go to.... and at that time I was hanging out in East New York!

been there just about a year now. came up from TX...

again, don't get me wrong i know schit can get live in bushwick, its just my particular area had (falsly) given me the impression of coming off as a little "less live" then other spots (i am close to bordering the edges of hipsterburg and near police station, big ass grocery store, train, etc.).

but for sure this has been a wake up call for me to pay more attention to my surroundings. had this been late friday night instead of sunday, i very easily could have found myself walking into the situation instead of sleeping through it...

good looking out on the words though. (i guess) it is relieving in a very sad way that other folls deal with this too.

honestly I don't know where the fuck I'm gonna live next. Shit is like either fucking nyu disneyland, hipster hell, forced gentrification (and the hate that comes along with it) or just flat out ghetto.

It's all about City Island in the Bronx. The final frontier.

South 2nd Williamsburg. That's were Serpico got shot, too. (like 20 years ago)

They didn't say on the News but the usual suspect block is S2nd between Roeblingbling and Havemeyer. Shit's always going off there. Last year undercover raided an apt and shot a woman doing laundry through a closed door.

Between S2nd and The Stinger Club (RIP, sort of) the undercover were all over that area. But early 90s was 10x worse.

It's all about City Island in the Bronx. The final frontier.

LOL, I would move back to the BX in a second if it wasn't so far.

I lived there for two years (University & 195th, Kingsbridge Road baby!) and it was very chill.

I'm looking at Prospect Heights, Carroll Gardens/Gowanus, Harlem... someplace close to the city, safe, and (relatively) cheap.

been there just about a year now. came up from TX...

again, don't get me wrong i know schit can get live in bushwick, its just my particular area had (falsly) given me the impression of coming off as a little "less live" then other spots (i am close to bordering the edges of hipsterburg and near police station, big ass grocery store, train, etc.).

Is that the Union/B'way police station that looks like it could do quite well in downtown Baghdad? I rest my case.

My landlord packs heat. Shoves it straight down the pants.

• Carroll Gardens/Gowanus

I live in Carrol Gardens--there aren't many good bars but the food is really amazing (Zaytoons kills it). There's a lot of old Brooklyn still in the neighborhood, i have two Italian Social Clubs (members only) on my block. Plus i like living in a brownstone, makes me feel like a Huxtable--I even stepped my Coogi game up. I'd recommend it. Gowanus is dope too--a lot of quasi-squatter loft spaces for cheap between Third Ave and the canal.

• It's all about City Island in the Bronx. The final frontier.

LOL, I would move back to the BX in a second if it wasn't so far.

I lived there for two years (University & 195th, Kingsbridge Road baby!) and it was very chill.

I'm looking at Prospect Heights, Carroll Gardens/Gowanus, Harlem... someplace close to the city, safe, and (relatively) cheap.

I know exactly what you mean, 189th and Bathgate Ave represent. I'd move to Pelham Bay if it wasn't so far, some apartments there are rediculously great. Its now that I'm looking to move in the Spring that I understand why people have been complaining about places to live for so long. I don't care about hipsters or yuppies, although I'm not trying to move to a gully area, but NY is really unaffordable. Like rediculous, $3000 a month for one bedrooms in the village? I know its been like this for a while now, but damn. NY is no longer for NYkers, as my man Phil Most would say, just microwave popcorn ass motherfuckers.
    Another reason I didn't vote for Bloomberg, rent control, yeah right!

You know Vito the waiter?

• Carroll Gardens/Gowanus

I live in Carrol Gardens--there aren't many good bars but the food is really amazing (Zaytoons kills it). There's a lot of old Brooklyn still in the neighborhood, i have two Italian Social Clubs (members only) on my block. Plus i like living in a brownstone, makes me feel like a Huxtable--I even stepped my Coogi game up. I'd recommend it. Gowanus is dope too--a lot of quasi-squatter loft spaces for cheap between Third Ave and the canal.

No 3rd Avenue. I lived on 3rd Ave between '99 and '01, about as depressing as it gets

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Carroll Gardens/Gowanus

No 3rd Avenue. I lived on 3rd Ave between '99 and '01, about as depressing as it gets
    Johnny,

when my girl lived above that raggae distributor in Windsor Terrace, this dude got beat to death w/ a baseball bat right outside. that's some work right there, i mean you aint gonna just crack someone a few times and expect it to be lethal. anyways, that neighborhood always seemed really safe. you can't escape it no matter where you're at in BK. there will always be a crack spot at least half a mile in any direction.

• Not talking about violence on 3rd Ave though - it was peaceful - but the ho stroll, heroin trade and pollution from the Gowanus Expressway just made it a lousy place to live. Buildings are ugly to boot. I would stay where I am but it's just too far from the city.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i remember over the summer a friend of mine had just moved to bed-stuy (off clifton pl.) and he had a "death wish party". we watched death wish as a kind of in-your-face front to those friends of his that were all, "don't move there.".
    this one girl that was coming over to the party was harrassed (touched in the crotch area) on the way over just down the block.
    all the neighborhood guys jumped the dude and roughed the perpetrator up pretty bad.

we walked to a bar afterwards. i left bed-stuy around 4am.
    my friend arrives back at his place at 5 am--t a bloody scene just outside his place.
    a guy was stabbed and murdered out front. most likely drug related.
    he didn't know it that night--but he just moved across the street from a crack house.
    pretty wack awakening for him that night.
    also--people familiar with strata east--is that weird looking mosaic looking commune looking place in fort green (in the alley near the salvation army)--is that where strata east was?
    my friend told me that place was a "activist spot" in the 60s--but wasn't sure if that was in fort greene or bed stuy.

• What is up with these folks that are like - "it's not dangerous..." based on one afternoon spent walking around with a fucking broker.