waking up to a murder in my building....

2»

Comments

• 2 murders in a month near my house..last one was gang related. crazy schitt goin on like i was livin in camden or something.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    2 murders in a month near my house..last one was gang related. crazy schitt goin on like i was livin in camden or something.

But the economy appears to be picking up. Ba-da-bom-tshhhh.

• always always go to neighborhood at night if you're thinking of moving there.

and run the water in the sinks and tubs to make sure the drains work.

and if it smells like roach poison

thats my only advice.

• you live in Bushwick and a murder's got you shook?! Murder in Bushwick is like church on sunday, every week without fail. Get use to it, or get yourself a dog and a gun.

oh...i am fully aware that bushwick is real, just my area/building doesn't come off as gully as other areas around me. but yeah...i'm moving to park slope quick fast now. thank god our lease is up in a few weeks.

where are you in bushwick? you're not in the "artist community" are you? I'm here and Im moving to sunset park in two days. Bushwick is the shittiest place Ive ever lived.

• But the economy appears to be picking up. Ba-da-bom-tshhhh.

Global cashing does not care for local activities.

• you live in Bushwick and a murder's got you shook?! Murder in Bushwick is like church on sunday, every week without fail. Get use to it, or get yourself a dog and a gun.

haha, seems yall beat me to it...

honestly I don't know where the fuck I'm gonna live next. Shit is like either fucking nyu disneyland, hipster hell, forced gentrification (and the hate that comes along with it) or just flat out ghetto.

I've been over on Utica Ave a lot recently and shit seems downright pleasant.

It's all about City Island in the Bronx. The final frontier.

LOL, I would move back to the BX in a second if it wasn't so far.

I lived there for two years (University & 195th, Kingsbridge Road baby!) and it was very chill.

I'm looking at Prospect Heights, Carroll Gardens/Gowanus, Harlem... someplace close to the city, safe, and (relatively) cheap.

My Mom's family is from City Isalnd

Clamdiggers.

Its kind of a dump now.

oh...i am fully aware that bushwick is real, just my area/building doesn't come off as gully as other areas around me. but yeah...i'm moving to park slope quick fast now. thank god our lease is up in a few weeks.

where are you in bushwick? you're not in the "artist community" are you? I'm here and Im moving to sunset park in two days. Bushwick is the shittiest place Ive ever lived.

To add on to myself:

Sunset Park is so fresh. We just got a two room brownstone right across the street from the park for 1400!! With a washer and dryer, giant living room, og woodworking. Susnset park is where to go.

also wear a big sign that says: "i'm new and i hate __________". fill in the blank with whatever ethnic group makes up the neighborhood. *

*before the strut community responds with a ban...this is the internet, you can't see emotions, and i'm being sarcastic. this is clearly

also wear a big sign that says: "i'm new and i hate __________". fill in the blank with whatever ethnic group makes up the neighborhood. *

What are you trying to say?
    What does going to a neigborhood at night have to do with ethnicity that you couldnt see during the day? You think it changes?

• 2 murders in a month near my house..last one was gang related. crazy schitt goin on like i was livin in camden or something.

Asbury in the 80's and early 90's was seriously fucked up. I was under the impression that it's not as bad now. Or is that just some Cookman Ave. hype.

you live in Bushwick and a murder's got you shook?! Murder in Bushwick is like church on sunday, every week without fail. Get use to it, or get yourself a dog and a gun.

To add on to myself:

Sunset Park is so fresh. We just got a two room brownstone right across the street from the park for 1400!! With a washer and dryer, giant living room, og woodworking. Susnset park is where to go.

Out of the frying pan.... Sunset Park never even got the speculative mini-boom that Bushwick got.

The apts are laaaaarge though

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    anyone have advice on how to deal with it...feel free to pass it along.

I came home from work one day (seven years ago) to TV trucks and cops everywhere... my downstairs neighbor (8 months pregnant) and her toddler son had been hacked up with a kitchen knife in the bathtub. Sordid. Turns out the killer was the father of the children -- the woman had just informed him that she (and therefore he) was HIV positive, and he flew into a rage. They didn't find him for a couple days because right after he killed girl, he left town... for his job interview with the New Orleans Police Department. I don't think they hired him.

How to deal with it? Depends. For us, it didn't feel like the murder was part of a larger pattern of violence in the building/area (this was downtown St. Paul, MN - not so gully), more a random thing, a (gruesome) domestic violence incident. Other places may seem a bit more like you could get caught in cross-fire. I'd move outa those places. You may get increased police patrols for your the next month. Not a bad thing.

Good luck.

To add on to myself:

Out of the frying pan.... Sunset Park never even got the speculative mini-boom that Bushwick got.

The apts are laaaaarge though

susnet park is so fresh.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I lived on S3rd and Havemeyer for 4 years. Never had any problems with anyone (turns out they all thought I was an undercover cop anyway), but damn was I happy to move out of there.
    Albeit I moved to South Beach, Miami, so talk about one extreme to the other.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You guys should move to hollywood. EVen the crack houses are much more chill.

• i'm moving to park slope quick fast now. thank god our lease is up in a few weeks.

aka Hipster Flight. Be warned, Park Slope is like a ghetto... a ghetto of Ikea shoppers.
    Prof Rockwell will tax your sneakers if you cross into his hood.

Gwon wit ya badself! We up in crown heights now, bombaclot!!

But forreals, at least you didn't hear it. In my old spot in LA before I moved out here, we had gunshots going off in the courtyard, like right outside my front door. The second time it happened was on my last night in the place, and right as I put my hand on the doorknob to go out 6 shots went off. Needless to say I was munching carpet quickfast.

Needless to say I was munching carpet quickfast.

Dude

• dang if you're shook by that stuff you need to check out queens dude, it's real chill out here. we dont ever have problems. about the worst i have to deal with is some 16 year old goth kids who hang out on the steps at the church by my house who are trying to form a band and learn how to skateboard at the same time. they just smoke cigarettes and they're actually pretty upbeat and endearing. it depends though, i work in midtown so astoria is real convenient, but when i worked on wall street it was a fucking bitch. it would be nice to live in an area that was going off a little bit more but it's nice to not have to worry about shit like that.

• i work in midtown so astoria is real convenient, but when i worked on wall street it was a fucking bitch.

I hear that. kind of the main thing preventing me from living there at this point, the commute downtown is crucial

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    good lookin out y'all on the words/thoughts.

i'm a midtown dude myself (timesquare is hell) but really dig BKLN. i'm hoping i can chalk this one up to some 'wrong time & wrong place' scenario. either way, i am out of the spot here in a few weeks anyway. and hopefully this will be the last time i have to see something like this.

• Needless to say I was munching carpet quickfast.

Dude

hey, we had wall to wall up in that piece!

Dude

there's gotta be a better way to say that.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Not talking about violence on 3rd Ave though - it was peaceful - but the ho stroll, heroin trade and pollution from the Gowanus Expressway just made it a lousy place to live. Buildings are ugly to boot. I would stay where I am but it's just too far from the city.

don't forget the ever lovely Gowanus Houses... i used to go up there all the time when i lived in Carroll Gardens b/c that was the closest 24 hour deli at the time... not the best spot at 3am...

i've lived in Bushwick for the last 4-5 months. I mind my business and just come and go. I've never had any problems. I have noticed a HUGE increase in police presence around Graham Ave. and Broadway over the last few weeks...

Asbury in the 80's and early 90's was seriously fucked up. I was under the impression that it's not as bad now. Or is that just some Cookman Ave. hype.

it is cookman ave. hype. hit up springwood, bangs, atkins, or any other ave on the west side and the shit is as gully as any hood around.

Dude

there's gotta be a better way to say that.

Wall to wall carpet muncher?

AYO!

• -

• Crown Heights is cool. It is the hood, no question, but it is a lot of families hard working people and such. There is a big difference. Of course there are bad and better blocks as it is a big neighborhood.

If you are living around broken homes and addicts and shit that is where it is really sketchy to me.