• from "The Power Of Feeling":

Got a copy of this one too D****n...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Can anyone post some sound?

By request:

Sir Edward - People Make The World Go Round

from "The Power Of Feeling":

Sir Edward was a pseudonym for Harold Vick, a noted reed/flute sideman and member of Compost with Jack DeJohnette, Bobby Moses a.o.

Thanks for posting this, very dope version. The jam-part is certified cr??me!

I'll have to go with the OG too tho.

Every fucking note/hit has so much feeling. Just perfect. To me, that's a rare thing. One of my fav. songs of all time.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Here are some versions I uploaded. Enjoy.

Young-Holt Unlimited

Ramon Morris

Pharaohs

The Stylistics

Peace

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    there is a version that has a j dilla remix, covered by innerzone orchestra. on planet e records. fucking dope!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    People liking the Sir Edward version will like the Profile one too. Same label, same sound, same style. I didn't listen to the Profile LP lately though. I could be wrong. But I remember it being a little better...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hortense Ellis, melancholy JA style

• tsotso 39 Posts
    The Gimmicks (singing in swedish) - just s??n't f??r en att sur

• Another version from the Crooklyn Soundtrack

Marc Dorsey

The Stylistics Version (my fav.) is also on that soundtrack...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Hell yeah! The Gimmicks version is that fire son! Here you go folls....

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2LOHLYFRKTMTQ18H8Q59MA1BRB

Get your DL on

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Get your DL on

NICE !! what year is this from ?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    here is audio of two dope versions, the dilla and the kenny dixon jr/moodymann house version.. (allow this house, its very good imo..)

dilla: http://users.warche.st/~pip/PMTWGR-DILLA.mp3

moody: http://users.warche.st/~pip/PMTWGR-MOODY.mp3 (skip a bit on near the end of this..)

both are

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Get your DL on

NICE !! what year is this from ?

Late 60s or early 70s. The Gimmicks are dope. Lots of nice covers and Bossa Nova joints.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Blackalicious: Swan Lake is built off of at least six different versions of "PMTWGR" including Jackson, Morris and O'Levy's.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    Blackalicious: Swan Lake is built off of at least six different versions of "PMTWGR" including Jackson, Morris and O'Levy's.

can you break that down? i thought it was the one version

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

DJ Shadow just took different parts from each version to make the beat. I don't have "Swan Lake" in front of me right now but, for example, what he took from Ramon Morris is really obvious in the song, as is what he borrowed from Milt Jackson.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

DJ Shadow just took different parts from each version to make the beat. I don't have "Swan Lake" in front of me right now but, for example, what he took from Ramon Morris is really obvious in the song, as is what he borrowed from Milt Jackson.
    ah cool. cheers.

ps. the ramsey lewis version is

• my fsvourite version is the one done by johnny lytle on the "people and love" lp. i think it is the most unique take on the song, with the odd-time meter. another good version can be found on the ice man's band.

• tsotso 39 Posts
    It's from the LP ...att tycka om. 1975 Polydor

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I have an old issue of Keyboard Magazine, from around '97 or '98, where he talks about how difficult it was to get all the versions to play in the same ballpark.

• Ramsey Lewis and Hortense&Alton Ellis.
    the ramsey lewis record was one of the many gems i got from my grandmas killer jazz funk collection

• Ramsey Lewis and Hortense&Alton Ellis.
    the ramsey lewis record was one of the many gems i got from my grandmas killer jazz funk collection

best 2nd post evar.

• people make the world go round....

Steven Hawkins would go ape shit if he read that theory.

• dude ive been collecting different covers of this for the past couple of years

folks sleep on the fact that lenny williams(tower of power) did the song first before the stylistics blew it up. you can find the ATCO lenny williams version on 45.

the ones that have eluded me so far are...

dee dee bridgewater - afro blue (price alone is a deterrent, but i think there are some represses too)
    peter gaudion - blues express (australian soul jazz LP, saw one on ebay but wasnt sure of its value which inhibited me from bidding it up)
    merl saunders - san francisco after dark (early 1980 private press)
    any reggae covers

so if folks have any ideas, pm a brother.
    -rich

• any reggae covers

Image hosted by Photobucket.com