Jay Dee/J Dilla - Donuts (link)

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Someone told me he also has an album coming out on BBE

I heard it too.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I defy anyone to listen to Glazed on repeat without getting a headache....
    Hmmm...
    Okay, this is the probably the most basic and boring of the lot. It's almost glaringly sloppy compared to everything else. It sounds like a random beat he tried to shop and no one wanted, but I think everything else is type-solid.

OK, take the last track for example, that is pretty much just an unfinished version of that Verbal Clap beat he did for De La on The Grind Date, minus the synth/bassline, seems kind of lazy...

Shit's still nice. Nothing on this joint is very complicated. Take the 10cc joint. It's basically a "what-all-can-you-do-with-just-this-song-and-a-sampler." I dig the hell out of it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I need this shit in my life.

• Someone told me he also has an album coming out on BBE

I heard it too.

That one's been in the making since 2004- doubt this will see the light of day...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Thanks for the pics bapt.

Somebody press up a bunch of these...and then make one for yourself.

• is that you?

is that you?

Nah, haha, that was in the upload bapt put up with pics from the album.

What if that sh*t said J DILLA BANGED MY WIFE?

• is that you?

Nah, haha, that was in the upload bapt put up with pics from the album.

What if that sh*t said J DILLA BANGED MY WIFE?

...AND i got this rad t-shirt as well!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• There's definitely some really nice stuff on here, but come on! some of this is pure doo-doo, not even in a so abstract it works way either...
    Lots of it he just let the record play, then did some sloppy chop with no drums and you're calling it next level????
    Admittedly when it hits, it hits HARD but there is some weak stuff on here as well, people seem to be getting a little over excited with this...
    So let me get this right, when Premo does some random ass epileptic fit on a sampler for an intro people say it's garbage, but when Dilla does it for some tracks on here people go nuts?
    Hmmm...

big ass cosign. I love me some jaydee but seriously this shit is far from next level. this is more laziness and dude needing to eat something to get healthy and back on point.

for me maybe 40% of it I am feeling.

There's definitely some really nice stuff on here, but come on! some of this is pure doo-doo, not even in a so abstract it works way either...

Lots of it he just let the record play, then did some sloppy chop with no drums and you're calling it next level????

Admittedly when it hits, it hits HARD but there is some weak stuff on here as well, people seem to be getting a little over excited with this...

So let me get this right, when Premo does some random ass epileptic fit on a sampler for an intro people say it's garbage, but when Dilla does it for some tracks on here people go nuts?

Hmmm...

big ass cosign. I love me some jaydee but seriously this shit is far from next level. this is more laziness and dude needing to eat something to get healthy and back on point.

for me maybe 40% of it I am feeling.

Sorry, but you dudes are eating dumbcakes. What's so nextlevel about these tracks IMO is that he's taking parts of songs that aren't considered "usable" in the traditional loop sense of production. Most of these compositions are all twisted up fragments of sound that he somehow found a way to put together. Think Jazzanova. Then give it another listen.

BTW, with all that garbage!

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    BTW, with all that garbage!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's better than I expected, but then again I didn't expect much. Not too big of a jaydee fan personally. It had its moments though.

I guess I can understand the jazzanova comparison, on an elementary level at least. It's nowhere near as technical nor as smooth as those dudes, but that is its appeal I guess.

the rip I have is 192kbps with only 27 tracks, but no annoying promo yells.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Isn't is funny how when a bunch of people seem to be unanimously diggin something, someone always has to be contrarian and prove how wrong everyone is. Seems like hatin to me. BTW, just downloaded album, so Im not making a call on the record, just pointin out a general internet/hip-hop/real life pattern...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Isn't is funny how when a bunch of people seem to be unanimously diggin something, someone always has to have a dissenting opinion. Why can't you just like what I like?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Isn't is funny how when a bunch of people seem to be unanimously diggin something, someone always has to have a dissenting opinion. Why can't you just like what I like?

• Loved what he did to the Isleys & Long Red. That Wolfman Jack shit is nice too.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've been listening to this a lot the past 2 weeks. I'm a big JayDee fan, but I'm not crazy about this. It's a fun grabwhateverisinthefrontofyouandchopthehelloutofit beat tape kind of thing, but that's about it. It's definetely the raw ish, but it does not drop my jaw. A lot of these beats are early stages of stuff that might have made it to bigger contexts. Like a sneak peek into the lab.

That being said, I see this as proof of the man's resilience in a time of serious personal obstacles, which is undisputedly beautiful to me, so on that level it could well be considered essential.

The sound of bouncing back???[/b]

That being said, I see this as proof of the man's resilience in a time of serious personal obstacles, which is undisputedly beautiful to me, so on that level it could well be considered essential.

Context. Very well said. There is a powerful healing quality to this music.

OK, enough Dilla riding in for me for in one day. Ya'll know how I feel.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I've been listening to this NOT[/b] a lot the past month[/b]... so on that level it could well be considered essential.

Dilla - Donuts (PROMO).zip

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think it would be a good idea to not post publically viewable links to dude's album that hasn't even come out yet, but that's just me.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    That's right.

• Moderatros, anyone?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think it would be a good idea to not post publically viewable links to dude's album that hasn't even come out yet, but that's just me.

Brian,

How is this different from the dozens of other sound files (including albums) that we link to on Soul Strut DAILY?

It's not like SS is doing anything that someone with a half-wit knowledge of bit torrent couldn't already do. The album leaked, just like hundreds of others do every quarter. That's just how it is.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hi Oliver!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hi Oliver!

'Sup Cosmo. What's up with putting Hogg down for the Milk gig and not putting the Dubster on? Can a Chinaman not eat with your clique?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think it would be a good idea to not post publically viewable[/b] links to dude's album that hasn't even come out yet, but that's just me.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I think it would be a good idea to not post publically viewable[/b] links to dude's album that hasn't even come out yet, but that's just me.