Calvin Hobbes VS Far Side NRR

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
the complete series of either one, which would u get for your own xmas present< both are steep in coin, so if you had to choose one.

Calvin and Hobbes:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0740748475/104-7822671-9667969?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

The Far Side
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A09L/104-7822671-9667969?v=glance&n=5174&n=507846&s=music&v=glance

err.. i mean
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0740721135/104-7822671-9667969?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Personally I think they are representive of the best comic strips EVER. Calvin's a hit with the anarchists/philosophers, and Far Side is posted at the office window of Computer Scientist Professor Office's everywhere. Can't go wrong with either, but the decision is phucking tuff, im headed towards Far Side...

Comments

• Calvin & Hobbes by a mile. Farside had it's moments though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I gotta go with Calvin & Hobbes, though The Far Side definitely had some really funny shit. Also, Bill Watterson lived artistic integrity while so many people just talk about it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The Far Side

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've brought up the Calvin & Hobbes about a month ago in a thread. Everytime I walk into a bookstore I'm tempted to buy it. Thing is fukkin' heavy. I've never been into comics, but when I was young, I used to read C&H on the regular.

I should just pick it up. I'm betting it's a limit run.

• Far Side is hilarious - but Calvin & Hobbes destroys on so may levels. No competiton. C & H is # 1.

• -

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i really want that Calvin and Hobbes box set. the difference between the two is kind of like that simpsons vs. seinfeld debate a few weeks ago. very different tones and brands of humor, but both great.

• I have the far side completed works -- and its an amazing book to have. so many hours of hysterical shit. I never read much of Calvin and Hobbes, but the far side book is amazing. FIve stars.

• http://www.fantagraphics.com/peanuts/peanuts.html if its gotta be a complete works, then ill vouch for this.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• prince valiant

• It's a cop-out, but I say both. I mean, I love 'em both. I think they were both intelligent humor but in different ways so I loved both of them. Far Side was just absurdist bizarre humor whereas Calvin & Hobbes actually dealt with the existential and philosophical aspects of life a lot. I actually got the Complete Far Side for Christmas last year (shit was on sale for like half of list price at Sam's Club) and it's great. I saw the Complete Calvin & Hobbes out at Sam's Club a few days ago (again for about half of list price) and I wanted it so badly. Might have to see if Santa Claus can hook me up there.

• Calvin & Hobbes by a mile

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• http://www.fantagraphics.com/peanuts/peanuts.html if its gotta be a complete works, then ill vouch for this.

As will I...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    It's a cop-out, but I say both. I mean, I love 'em both. I think they were both intelligent humor but in different ways so I loved both of them. Far Side was just absurdist bizarre humor whereas Calvin & Hobbes actually dealt with the existential and philosophical aspects of life a lot. I actually got the Complete Far Side for Christmas last year (shit was on sale for like half of list price at Sam's Club) and it's great. I saw the Complete Calvin & Hobbes out at Sam's Club a few days ago (again for about half of list price) and I wanted it so badly. Might have to see if Santa Claus can hook me up there.

I agree, there are both so dope. Probably the two best cartoons in the last 20 years, actually the two best ever, what was good before these guys came around? Mary Worth and Apartment 3-G?

• Calvin and Hobbes. I remember reading the books over at a friend's house years ago, and being hooked ever since. I really respect Bill Watterson for walking away the way he did, being tired of seeing unlicensed Calvin images all over the place (and I'm sure there's more to it than that...but I don't remember interviews he did...)

The Far Side was great too, but between the two I'd go with Calvin and Hobbes.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

calvin and hobbes is THAT shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I read more of The Far Side, so imma go with that.

The Peanuts is though.

As will I...

Thirded

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I really respect Bill Watterson for walking away the way he did, being tired of seeing unlicensed Calvin images all over the place (and I'm sure there's more to it than that...but I don't remember interviews he did...)

It was that plus enormous pressure from his syndicate (no Ice-T) to hurry up and sell out so they could make legit C&H tchotchkes plus how newspapers were constantly shrinking comics to reduce them nothing but three or four panels of talking heads (see: The Boondocks) and basically feeling like if he couldn't be in control of his creation, then there was no reason for him to continue it, but he also wasn't gonna just sign the name over. He talks about it at length in the Calvin & Hobbes 10th Anniversary Book. I've got crazy respect for him for the stance he took.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    like that ren&stimpy guy but with more class.

The comic is great in that parent/kid enjoyment sense and the shear brilliance. Buy this for your nephews or nieces

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Far Side by a MILE!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Does anyone remember the FarSide animated cartoons? I never saw them though. Are they any good?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    far side is for nerds...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Can't believe nobody dug Bloom County!

SG

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Can't believe nobody dug Bloom County!

SG

I was about to say the same thing. I have all of the Bloom County books. Even have the Billy & the Boingers Bootleg flexidisc.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I really respect Bill Watterson for walking away the way he did, being tired of seeing unlicensed Calvin images all over the place (and I'm sure there's more to it than that...but I don't remember interviews he did...)

It was that plus enormous pressure from his syndicate (no Ice-T) to hurry up and sell out so they could make legit C&H tchotchkes plus how newspapers were constantly shrinking comics to reduce them nothing but three or four panels of talking heads (see: The Boondocks) and basically feeling like if he couldn't be in control of his creation, then there was no reason for him to continue it, but he also wasn't gonna just sign the name over. He talks about it at length in the Calvin & Hobbes 10th Anniversary Book. I've got crazy respect for him for the stance he took.

Calvin and Hobbes set a standard for cartoons. The art work, the writing, the humor. Sadly no current strip comes close to achiving the standard set by C&H.

The new Sunday Bloom County is very good about half the time.

Boondocks is great political commentary, but he has slacked on charechter development, story and art, though he clearly has the talent to do all three.

My current fave is Mutts.

I feel the same way about Far Side and the single panel. Bizarro is pretty good, but none of them come close to the humor, art or consistence of Gary Larson, who last I heard was playing guitar in Seattle.

Waterson, like the Boondocks guy and the Bloom County guy and Gary Larson, felt artisticly stiffled by the need to produce 7 strips a week.
    Dan

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    phuck, undecided. i think i'l get Far Side first.

on a side note of how phucking stupid i am, i think was 20 when i realized Hobbes wasn't real, i though he always faked being a stuffed tiger to piss off Calvin. Only when I saw the OG comic of Calvin roping Hobbes with a tuna fish sandwhich did I clue in.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    phuck, undecided. i think i'l get Far Side first.

on a side note of how phucking stupid i am, i think was 20 when i realized Hobbes wasn't real, i though he always faked being a stuffed tiger to piss off Calvin. Only when I saw the OG comic of Calvin roping Hobbes with a tuna fish sandwhich did I clue in.

Perhaps you were right. A side effect of aging is the inability to see tigers in the suburbs.