Link Wray R.I.P.

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I just found out Link Wray died in Copenhagen Friday. Dude was one of the greatest of all time. R.I.P.

Comments

• Without the willingness to play through damaged amps, despite to everyone's disapproval, the sound that influenced a million guitarists would not have been sparked, at least not by him.

r.i.p.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    damn, horrible news.

R.I.P.

• Anybody diggin' this one?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Anybody diggin' this one?

Yes.

And I just recently copped this one:

His vocals didn't always work for me, but his guitar playing was always on point - and his attitude and energy were unrivaled. The man had a great ability to capture moods, emotions, action - all on the strings of a guitar. My thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.

• A true original (and a DC/MD local for a time). RIP(PER)!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I just heard Rumble again a couple of days ago.

Dan

• OH. HELL. NO. [/b]

And he didn't live long enough to be elected into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame either!!! Oh well, at least I got to see him live. Got my album autographed and everything.

One of the greatest come-ups I've ever had was when I thrifted the "Slinky" 45 on Epic. No pic sleeve, but the single itself was a white-label promo. Record geekery aside, the fact that I found it and played it and enjoyed it is the main thing.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I just found out Link Wray died in Copenhagen Friday. Dude was one of the greatest of all time. R.I.P.

R.I.P. L. Wray. A hugely influential guitarist is gone. I didn't even know he was married to a danish woman and had been living here for many years until I read the obituary in the local newspaper yesterday.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Sad!
    I wasn't aware he still lived here... I thougth he'd moved loooong time ago, wish we'd went to see him when we could!

Jack The Ripper was recorded on the stairs of some hotel (I've read) for max reverb affect! Now if that's not rock n roll...

• 'Jack The Ripper' is one of my top 20 45s ever. Spooky shit. RIP

• he just payed here in asbury not too long ago. goodbye sir.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A guitar hero for the ages.
    Sad news.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    He was (one of) the first to use a record player to electrify the guitar. dudes would take the needle and kinda grind it into the body somewhere, and amplify it through the record players speakers. I think Mr. Wray was one of the first cats to get noticed, that did that. Antique guitar dealers will tell you they see lots of guitars with holes in the body because of this.