Weekend Finds?

Comments

• It's been a gospel weekend!
    LP
    Violinaires - Move On Up (Checker) Best gospel LP I've found in a while.

45s
    Original Gospel Aires - Ain't Gonna Die / God Has Done So Much For Me
    Gospel Souls - O When Jesus Comes Home / I Got The Holy Ghost
    Royal Echos - I Want To Make It / God Don't Play
    All above are on my favorite Designer label! Memphis folls!

Alex Bradford - Am I Wrong? / Won't Have To March No More
    This one I found in my gospel box at the house. I slept like a bear on this one! "Won't Have To March No More" has some serious Billy Strange spy guitar on it. An odd one. The other sides lyrics are like "Lord...I like good whiskey...Am I wrong? Lord...I like pretty women...Am I Wrong?"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Word word word. Drove down to Rhode Island for the record show, and came up pretty f'ing legit.
    Picked up a few long-time wants, and got a couple of nice surprises.

I didn't get this one for ridiculously cheap, but still, if I decide to flip it, I can more than double back what I paid:

Point is pretty moot anyhow, cause I'm listening to it right now and I think it's a keeper. Pretty sick little record. My eyes sorta popped out my head when I saw it sitting in the bin...

Other shit scored, all for pretty cheap:

Found the Cotton OST in a hidden box under a table, on my way out the door when I had already spent "all" my money. Asked him to sell it for all I had in my wallet, which was half the pricetag. It came home with me. Seriously NM/NM OG, too.

Talk about "long time want," I only ever had this on cassette, I still have the 2nd one I bought, after wearing out the first. I have wanted the vinyl on this since it was new, so after 15+ years, I finally got it:

Shit is in nice shape, too - in tha shrink with the custom hype sticker and all!
    Beautiful but Deadly is seriously

The rest were all $2-3 each from assorted sellers:

Ricardo Ray/Bobby Cruz - el Bestial Sonido - Vaya[/b]

Just played this one, and it was fantastic. Unfortunately, it's pretty much rinked. Still, no skips just noise, so $2 ain't too bad for a listener copy.

Laura Lee - Women's Love Rights - Hot Wax
    Terry Reid - Bang, Bang - Epic
    John Fred - 34:40 of John Fred & His Playboys - Paula
    Gabor Szabo - Magical Connection - Blue Thumb
    McCoy Tyner - Sahara - Milestone
    Christine McVie - Legendary Perfect - Sire
    Undisputed Truth - Law of the Land - Gordy
    Blues Magoos - Basic - Mercury

[/b]That's twice I have come down to this sale, and have come up on some heat each time - I'm gonna save up some serious loot for the next one in the spring, cause I left behind some shit I should have pulled...

• GET OFF WITH US!!!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    sharon ridley-"stay a while with me"

only score this weekend i'm realy feeling "where does that leave me", seeing van mccoy's name on the back scared me into almost not listening to it though.

peace,xavier

• recap from last weekend. new finds today in adventures in diggin post.

45s

tony newmam- soul thing
    wilmer alexander and the dukes- get it

lps-

last poets- at last
    us navy port authority soul band- together
    roy ayers- coffy OST
    donny hathaway- extensions of a man

peace. pres.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nice finds!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Funky Styles and rare finds!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    al jhonson-back for more

found another copy of this friday night at the same salvo i scored babs and ernie,axelrod and some other gems at.

peace,xavier

• haha that picture is great.

• I like that couch

is it up for trade?

Taking offers

Really? Where do you live? Or at least tell me where you got it. It's pleasant I want it

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Thanks Good fam and random flea market dude.

I still need a copy of that Mary Lou!

I came up on a few things, nothing too major. More Xian drum break raer too. I'll try and post some in a bit.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    just a few LPs today:

John Fahey- Vol. 4: The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party LP (Takoma)

Yo how is that? I passed up a copy yesterday.

• John Fahey- Vol. 4: The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party LP (Takoma)

Solid, but not his best LP. Do you have any others? It has a bit of flute noodling on side B. Playing is tight, but not as on point as many of his other records.

• John Fahey- Vol. 4: The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party LP (Takoma)

Solid, but not his best LP. Do you have any others? It has a bit of flute noodling on side B. Playing is tight, but not as on point as many of his other records.

I think Side A is absolutely essential. But you're right on about Side B.

• yeah I like it but it's not his best work. Apparently he kinda hated it.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    john fahey- san bernadino was probably one of his most avant recordings, kinda hard to get into at times but i dig it. not that easy to find either of his earlier takomas

starfire- group was from richmond, VA. put out a few Lps- often tracks taken from the previous lp but repackaged. A lot of crap on it, but "Make the Most of It" is a stellar tune- love the handclap breakdown.

I stopped in a shop and bought records for the first time in about two or three weeks, been too busy:

-Bossa Tres on Audio Fidelity
    -early Chico Buarque on RGE
    -Big Youth - Dread Lock Dread OG on Top Ranking
    -Cake - S/T (the first one)
    -The Hypnotics - Dance to the Music 45 on Reprise
    -Natural Life on RSI
    -Southern University Stage Band in a Soul Session on Whit (alvin battiste directs w/ james black on drums)
    -Some Venezuelan LP released by the Dept. of Mental Hygiene- i think as an anti-drug campaign, strange what do you call them "moody loops"... i kinda dig it- EZ listening latin instrumentals with weird keys and drumbreak.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    you can listen to that Fahey here: http://www.wirz.de/music/takomfrm.htm

It's sorta like demos for what would become his Requia lp on Vanguard.

Speaking of Fahey, is there a vol.5 on Takoma? I have 4 & 6, but can find no evidence that a 5 exists. it kinda bugs me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts and fleas--
    25 cents to a dollar each:

rare heptones lp, private press gospel/soul, white noise (couldn't believe it when i found it--in excellent shape no less!), calypso/mento/reggae lp from dennis syndrey on federal, very awesome private press funk/bossa/jazz/soft psych lp from the silhouettes, and yes--the donald byrd.

t. bone walker 2xlp in that above pic =

the gluons were a kbd band (actually on one of those comps)--this one is more post-punk . they recorded a song with allen ginsburg. the mandee dahl 12" ep was found still sealed. this release was from 1979. i think they were from boston or nyc. female fronted punk/post-punk with a very big nyc influence (ie: blondie blondie, talking heads, the more rockin' patti smith tunes, and though not from nyc--with the dancy edginess of pylon)
    the only info i found on them was from the mission of burma page--they played a couple of shows together back around 1980.
    oh--the weird 12" from actor otto von wernherr (liquid sky) is still sealed. he put this out and filmed a video regarding the notorious subway killer bernard goetz. he looked like him i guess. and he also raps. only info i found out about that came from a wfmu playlist.

i got some good 45s too--some italian garage/beat band, some reggae singles, soul and funk 45s too. will post those later.

• nice scores...you in the nj/nyc area?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    damn.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice scores...dakar is a PA dood

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice digs. Heptones had an LP way back then distributed by RCA??

I got that American Breed last week, hoping it would have some edgy soul rock or something, but it's pretty awful.

I love that Space 1999 LP. I've always pulled that out, the intro with the horn buildup leading into the wah-wah breakdown is and blows people's minds

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Curtis Green - I Just Gotta Get Down 45 (Bold)

More of a purchase than a find, but it's a damn good one to check out if you like to "get down", as they say.

• found hopeton lewis

Damn, are you kidding? I love that Hopeton Lewis LP!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Curtis Green - I Just Gotta Get Down 45 (Bold)

More of a purchase than a find, but it's a damn good one to check out if you like to "get down", as they say.

This song is so killer. If you don't believe me, check lotusland's site. Shit rules...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Hit three digs up today...Wish I had more time. Had to work at noon. Still had time to pick up some treats. Had some nice finds on 45's

Ramrods - soul train pts 1 & 2 (rampage)
    New Birth - got to get a nut (rca)
    Jimmy McGriff - the bird / brown paper bag (capital)
    the Ambers - Don't go / soul in room #401 (jean)
    Charlie Daniels - funky junky (kama sutra)
    Joe Frank Hamilton - funk-in-wagnal (abc)
    shirley ellis - the name game (congress)
    pointer sisters - wang dang doodle (blue thumb)
    sylvia & ralfi page - soul je t'aime (vibration)
    dorthy moore - here it is (malaco) I got this record on friday as well. This record id popping up all over the place...clean copy !
    rufus thomas - breakdown 1 & 2
    rufus - tell me something good (abc)
    curtis mayfield - kung fu / right on for the darkness (curtom) great 45 !!!!
    parliament - tear the roof off the sucker / p funk

got a few lp's
    undisputed truth - cosmic truth (gordy)
    o.c. - time's up (wild pitch)
    special ed - think about it (sealed - profile)
    nine - whutcha want (profile)

got some listening to do...late

I got that American Breed last week, hoping it would have some edgy soul rock or something, but it's pretty awful.

The worst thing about American Breed LPs are that, when you're a young digger, you pull one of their LPs from somewhere and, judging by the cover, think its gonna be so hard, only to take it home and almost cry that you even spent a dollar+ change on it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

The worst thing about American Breed LPs are that, when you're a young digger, you pull one of their LPs from somewhere and, judging by the cover, you get so hard, only to take it home and almost cry that you even spent a dollar+ change on it.

The worst thing about American Breed LPs are that, when you're a young digger, you pull one of their LPs from somewhere and, judging by the cover, you get so hard, only to take it home and almost cry that you even spent a dollar+ change on it.

:x

I wasn't calling SoulOnIce a "young digger" or anything. Only sayin'...