Weekend Finds?

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Fleamarket was better than normal for this year. Met my first digger there ever (not counting Prince fans). Still plenty to flip and I'll most likely be keeping these:LPsThe Buddy Miles fusion LP with my current favorite break on it.Racing Cars - Downtown Tonight. bogus but there's JB rip off track that might have potentialVon Ryan's Express. Thought this would be different. Pleasantly surprised.Ferrante & Teicher - Hit Themes. Shaft, basically.Buddy Rich / Lionel Hampton - Transition. Seem to be amassing a few Rich LPs lately.12s (aka repatriating BK hip hop that's sitting in Queens doing nothing)Roxanne Shante - Have a Nice Day (Cold Chillin)Roxanne Shante - The Def Fresh Crew (Pop Art)Cutmaster DC - Brooklyn Rocks the Best (Zakia)Stet - Go Stetsa (Tommy Boy)UMCs - Ego Trippin (Next Plateau)Genius At Work - Big Apple Production (J&T) Cut n paste electroDe La - Say No Go (Say No Dope/New Keys) For tha ladies.EPEE MD - My Thing (Fresh) upgrade from my UK issue bootleg.

Comments

• spent the whole evening on a record shop diggin through german pop shit, but found some nice jazz vinyls and some sick stuff. most of them "something i can sample"-boughts

Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun (...)
    Jamento - The Monty Alexander 7 (jazz, jazz, jazz)
    Belafonte & Makeba 2LP (has a nice chove-chuva version)
    Jacques Loussier - Play Bach No.3 (massive bass samples)
    Santana - Caravanserai (...)
    Miriam Makeba (Record Bazaar Compilation)

Sick Stuff:
    Weg zum Leben - Meditation in 7 Stationen (mostly german vocal, got at least one nice instrumental track)
    Stefan Diestelmann - Hofmusik (got some blues / scat / beatbox samples and nice basslines)

all of them 2 euros or less.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Diggin' around Dallas yesterday.....variety of stuff.....all in the $1.00 - $10.00 range

All except the Boz Skaggs which I got in a trade....Swedish only LP from '65!!!!!

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Curtis Mayfield - Here, my dear
    Captain Beefheart - The Spotlight Kid
    & Karaoke LaserDiscs

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    All except the Boz Skaggs which I got in a trade....Swedish only LP from '65!!!!!

How is the Southwest FOB???

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

East Texas pop psych with a cover of WCPAEB's "Smell Of Incense" being the highlight...pretty weak overall and I believe England Dan and/or John Ford Coley were in the band.

• I hit the pathetic Holiday Inn show up in midtown.... shit is depressing, seriously like 10 dealers in a space the size of my living room. I got a Gilberto Gil S/t ("Volkswagen Blues") LP sealed. I didn't know Brazilian records came in better condition than VG+++++++++++

Other than that a Larry Harlow "Heavy Smoking" & Joe Bataan "Gypsy Woman" (gold label on both).

Raj, Drewn, Faux_Rillz, Otis Funkmeyer all fell through the shop... 3D soulstrut like whoa. Both Raj & Faux_Rillz showed up real heavy with the trades and shit. Good looking out yall.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Curtis Mayfield - Here, my dear

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I got a Gilberto Gil S/t ("Volkswagen Blues") LP sealed. I didn't know Brazilian records came in better condition than VG+++++++++++

Hey, Jonny_Paycheck

Is this Gil's record a brazilian edition?
    I ask you because at that time (1970) brazilian records were not sealed.
    Anyway, this is a very nice record.

Peace

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Raj, Drewn, Faux_Rillz, Otis Funkmeyer all fell through the shop... 3D soulstrut like whoa. Both Raj & Faux_Rillz showed up real heavy with the trades and shit. Good looking out yall.

I'm pretty sure I'll be stopping by on December 3rd.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I should of went to NY this weekend (southwest flies there right?) One day I plan to make out with all the above named people.

Weekend finds out here are nothing worth mentioning. Trades are fulfilling my wants for now.

...more details to come...

• I got a Gilberto Gil S/t ("Volkswagen Blues") LP sealed. I didn't know Brazilian records came in better condition than VG+++++++++++

Hey, Jonny_Paycheck

Peace

i have a similar record(maybe the same) that is an early 70s french issue.

• I got a Gilberto Gil S/t ("Volkswagen Blues") LP sealed. I didn't know Brazilian records came in better condition than VG+++++++++++

Hey, Jonny_Paycheck

Peace

i have a similar record(maybe the same) that is an early 70s french issue.

It is a Brazilian mono edition. It is entirely possible that it was resealed at some point.

One side is mint, the other is E, with a couple of light paper scuffs... a sure sign of resealing!

• Diggin' around Dallas yesterday.....variety of stuff.....all in the $1.00 - $10.00 range

Damn dude,your "finds" posts are scary.Nice job on the Sam Apple Pie and Tractor.

What's up with the Finalmente Lp??

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    rich-

the ltd. edition- livingston goldin duo looks fascinating.

i need to drop you a line- is email at rockadelic or PM through this board, the easiest way?

hope all is well. hoping to get up that way in three weeks or so depending....

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    scored some records at the flea market...

45's
    fancy - wild thing (big tree) I can't believe I never heard this song before. I read it charted in 74...news to me...I dig it
    joe cuba - sock it to me/oh yea (tico)
    dorothy moore - here it is (malaco) I see this 45 all the time. Still looking for a super clean version. I love this song !!!
    pointer sisters - yes we can can (blue thumb)

lp's
    james brown - hell
    james brown - the payback
    traffic - welcome to the canteen (always wanted this record. got it for a buck)
    herbie hancock / willie bobo - succotash (blue note)
    the impressions - three the hard way ost !!! (curtom)
    billy cobham - spectrum (atlantic)

I got to rent 3 the hard way again. It's been awhile since I've seen that shit. Heading out tomorrow, hopefully more scores.

What's up with the Finalmente Lp??

Pretty straight Jazz LP by Renzo Fraiese on the AVI label from '78...nothing special.

• Options
    I should of went to NY this weekend (southwest flies there right?) One day I plan to make out with all the above named people.

Might want to get to know them better before you book tickets.

the ltd. edition- livingston goldin duo looks fascinating.

i need to drop you a line- is email at rockadelic or PM through this board, the easiest way?

hope all is well. hoping to get up that way in three weeks or so depending....

Ari.....best way is [email]Rockadelic@sbcglobal.net[/email] I think I can get you into that African stuff....just give me a few days notice.

The Livingston-Goldin is Florida Lounge......two man, drum/piano lounge acts rarely sound good....this is no exception.

Rich

• I like that couch

• I like that couch

is it up for trade?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    So far:

+ The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh OST for $2
    + The Eddie Fisher Quintet - The Third Cup for $5

• lighthouse, khan, tuxedomoon (neat late 70s minimal joy divisiony soundscapes),
    hardin, jean + jim (cool folk with an edge now and then), van ronk on folkways,
    Pharoah sanders on ESP Disk, thirty days out is sealed so i have no clue yet,
    Reich, Alla Rakha has a ton of sweet tabla solos, early (local rochester?) gap
    mangione, brand nubian 12".

LOUDNESS, thats the 1st neil diamond and ten times cooler than you might think,
    lighthouse again (this ones the best of the bunch in my opinion), mysterious gospel
    record with sweet cover, barnaby bye wah wah mandolin kookiness, 1st tavares - this
    is a great record!, adderly awesomeness, lee morgans 1st, harold melvin classic,
    Goddo's 1st, later new birth ("not as nice as their earlier efforts but still full
    of tasty bits!" DGA would say), white witch's 1st evil brew.

4 chill LeGrands, alan vega on celluloid, one of those 'get kids to clap and stamp
    their feet' records, gentle giant on vertigo, Budgie's 1st, Mottola e-z mellow
    niceness, Blue Things OG press - NICE pop/psyche - grab a reissue or youll be
    waiting a long time for a cheap one, bob seger's 3rd(?) and by far the hardest one
    to find of the early pre "turn the page" (i.e. actually good) Seger (1st copy ive
    ever found), Budgie again.

kiddie/novelty record craziness all obtained for one low money. i have boxes of this
    stuff, i dont know why i like it so much.

nothing super great, but just a nice happy selection of good soul+funk, it was cool
    that it was all together like this, whoever had it had good taste.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    One day I plan to make out with all the above named people.

I can't believe I'm the first one to say this, but AYO!!!!!

• In all my years of Stax digging I still haven't found a copy of the Southwest FOB or the Mighty Joe Hicks. The Joe Hicks is sick! Scored the Up,Up,and Away joint a month ago...that record is super panned. Tom & Jerry is Simon & Garfunkel if you didn't know. But, maybe not this one...the Rated X thing might not be them.

That Dave Van Ronk is one of my favorite Folkways. "Tell Old Bill" can make a brother cry.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Thanks Good fam and random flea market dude.

• just a few LPs today:

Orquesta Riverside LP (Areito)

John Fahey- Vol. 4: The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party LP (Takoma)

Kwame Nkrumah- The Ninth Son LP (Columbia)

The Sabri Brothers & Ensemble- QAWWALI, Sufi Music from Pakistan LP (Nonesuch Explorer)

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Just a couple female soul finds at when I stopped by Aron's for a moment during their 20%-off, 'we're going to close but you don't know when!' sale...

I like that couch

is it up for trade?

Taking offers

• debardebar 215 Posts
    just one thing this weekend: Afro-Latin Soultet - Wild!