Sellers charging for paypal - WTF!?!?!?!

2»

Comments

• The credit card companies have a surcharge for using card services, but they can't pass it off to the consumer, at least not directly. Why? Well who would use a credit card if they had to pay an extra 5% each time?

That's exactly the point! If there is people ready to pay the extra on paypal, and it seems to be the case, why a seller would not do it? Seller is here for money, not for pleasure.

Okay we're getting a little circular with this argument...

I am against paypal surcharges for one reason only. It's not allowed by paypal. So if I'm not allowed to do something you think you can get away with it? Is that more fair that I pay double fees (once coming in, once going out) and you pay none?

I'll flip your argument around on the sellers. Sellers, if you don't want to use it, you don't have to. But don't try to get around it by laying the fees on the buyers. You are paying for the convenience and service.

If you are against auction with this system, just resist and don't bid on it, so the seller will maybe notice there is less auction when he charges paypal fees.

When I see a guy who write on his description: "please Email for shipping fees after you win the auction", it really makes me angry. If it's a common record, I just don't bid and let him with his probably super high and hidden shipping cost. If I really want the record I accept to gamble on this and hope he will not charge too high. If he do, well I will not argue about it, nobody forced me to push on the bid button.

I can see your point. However the sellers will never get the point.

I agree with JP, paypal has got to step up here. It's hard as hell to even find the rule that says ppl can't surcharge. They should be more upfront with it. But it's kind of don't-ask-don't-tell at the moment.

My overall opinion is Paypal would have to be free. Ebay just do big money by itself, and do more money by having people money on paypal accounts, cause correct me if I'm wrong, it's like a bank system right? Why charging more with every transaction?

Well we can agree that in a better world paypal WOULD be free

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    fuck it, its what 3.4%+20p in the uk - normally just put it on top of the postage? i figure i always reuse mailers ive been sent so i dont need to fork out on that - charge in the postage and it looks like when i do it anyway that its just normal. all gravy. i hate people charging stupid amounts to post too, really ticks me off..

• It's hard as hell to even find the rule that says ppl can't surcharge.

The seller who inspired this post just sent me a link to where ebay says you CAN'T do this. Apparently she understood it as the opposite...

• hey Johnny..whats the address for your shop? A friend of mine recently moved to BK and he'd probably like to stop by.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have this argument with fellow Strutter P-Gunn all the time, because we have sold things on eBay and split the profits (long story) - he wants to charge people to use Paypal, and I say it's a bullshit move. Not just because it's against "the rules," but because as a seller, Paypal is a convenience to use, and draws more bidders in when you accept it. Maybe it's because I have managed retail operations before, and like already pointed out, I know that a business has to pay a percentage for the convenience of accepting credit cards. Same deal.

The REAL issue is, the fact that Paypal charges a fee AT ALL is bullshit, since they make millions of dollars in profit on the interest earned by money they hold in the accounts. That is where they make most of their money. The fees they charge are just the greedy icing on the cake!!

Personally, as someone who sells & buys on eBay using Paypal, I think if they INSIST on charging a fee, they should split it between buyer & seller, like take the 2.9 percent plus 30 cents fee, and make each end pay 1.4 percent and 15 cents...then everybody gets screwed equally...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm always surprised when sellers (as said before) actually LIST this fee in their auction description. Why not just tack the dollar on as a "handling fee" or not even list it at all? It'd be chalked up by the buyer to shipping container fees and forgotten. But listing it is an implicit statement that says: "I am blatantly circumventing the system for lazy profit and you will be dumb enough to pay this fee because you need this item."

Related:
    I recently won an auction for a 45 from "George54449" (US seller) in which he charged me $4.00 for media mail on top of a mandatory $1.30 for "insurance." The $9.99 single quickly became $15.49. I paid it anyway, because it was worth even more, but this "mandatory insurance" thing on a single 45 is stupid and counterintuitive. I also felt a little silly paying $4.00 for a single that costs less than $1.50 to ship to me via media mail. But he had it listed.

• hey Johnny..whats the address for your shop? A friend of mine recently moved to BK and he'd probably like to stop by.

179 East 3rd Street btwn Avenues A & B.

• I really don't care where they have their cash but anyone carrying around $600 in paypal that doesn't have $600 in cash is a little

I resemble this statement

Really tho', the little ATM paypal cards are an instant solution to this problem. Although some sellers get a little suspicious when I hand it to 'em...

• I don't overstand this thread but I'll go by the title. I just figured the seller swallows (no ayo) the paypal fees like the corner liquor does with credit cards. I do charge for handling, but that's not to offset the paypal fee, it's because I've been walking my packages to the post office on crutches.

I'm pretty much better now, no crutches, hooray!!!

What do you think is a fair handling charge?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

What do you think is a fair handling charge?

$0.00

is it the buyers fault you're on crutches?

handling fee's are

• What do you think is a fair handling charge?

$0.00

handling fee's are

Well that's relative. Of course it's not the buyers fault, but if If the buyer wants the service then they'll pay for it. It's totally fair. It also covers packaging which takes money and time. Now that I'm getting better I'm going to do away with the service charge and throw in the packaging for free. Seems like good business.

• Loc: My Record Store: 179 East 3rd Street btwn Avenues A & B.

Might be a good idea.

• What do you think is a fair handling charge?

$0.00

handling fee's are

Not really. Handling fee's are common, of course now as competitive as shit is they just build it into the price many times. It just gives a break to people who buy in person/on location.

Time is money.

• Yeah, this pisses me off righteously as well, I have recently had the same situation with someone charging for paypal and when I pointed it out to him that it's not allowed he got all defensive sayin' well the item's are cheap anyway and he wasn't making any profit ??? WTF ??? Not my problem mate.

So from now on, I'm gonna report all sellers I deal with who do this, petty though it seems, they are quick enough to point the finger at people who don't follow the rules applied to buyers(prompt payment etc.) and as for shipping, I pay anywhere from $10 to $15 to get items to me in the UK. I think a lot of sellers just make it up as they go along...

• This guy quoted me the paypal policy and then said "I am charging for shipping and handling, not paypal". The first email said "deduct $1 if you do not use paypal".

Dude is getting reported...

• I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone have pointed it out but it seems strange that when you choose paypal it's the seller that's stuck with the fees, while all other payment methods(western union, cash send registered etc.) it's the buyer that has to pay fees. To me it doesn't make sense that this rule is only valid when using paypal........it doesn't make sense but that's how they made the rules so I almost alays refuse to pay paypal fees.

if the guy who bought this LP wasn't stuck with the 5% paypal fee, that the seller is asking in his auction, he could almost have gone out and got himself a larry t LP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4787853634&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Overcharging on postage is wack!
    However I do think that letting the buyer pay some of the PP fees is ok, I mean remember the times when you had to stick cash in an envelope, then cross your fingers or send it registered which is ??3-5 here in Denmark. PP is easier & safer!

• The seller uses PP as a convenience, so it's on them to pay. You could just wait on money orders then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

That being said, PP charges too much. I don;t get it. I have a $1 dollar fee for a $19.99 charge and a $.97 fee for a $22.0