Sellers charging for paypal - WTF!?!?!?!

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
For the fittyleventh time I have had to kindly remind a seller that they are not allowed to charge "$1 extra for paypal".When is ebaypal gonna get serious about this bullshit?Grrrrrr

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    don't you do it at your store though? Or is that different since you pay the power bill, web connection and the computer?

• Word.

I mean the extra $ doesnt really kill me.
    Its just kinda weird if you buy a record from some dude who's just made over 2grand with all the items he listed and still charges you for the paypal....
    eh....

• don't you do it at your store though? Or is that different since you pay the power bill, web connection and the computer?

Not really. The difference is that at the store I accept cash and three major types of credit/debit/atm cards. There are five ATMs within a half a block of the store. If you have to resort to using paypal on my store computer (as opposed to the paypal card) that's your decision and I have every right to charge accordingly.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    don't you do it at your store though? Or is that different since you pay the power bill, web connection and the computer?

YEEEEEE, THEY CALL IT "ASS COVERAGE"

EBAY SELLERS NEEDZ TO START WITH HIGHER AMOUNT FOR INITIAL BIDS AND RESERVES, YEEE! NO MORE FUSS AND MUSS FROM US BIDDERZ THEN

GOING FOR BROKE,

POORTENCY

• Dude stop saying "Yeeeee".

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

lol, OKAY JP, YOUNG BOSS

YESSIR,
    m

• Is "Yeeeeee" the Dipset/Houston/Diplo of this month for you?

more importantly

Have you ever been to Richmond or Vallejo?

Is "Yeeeeee" the Dipset/Houston/Diplo of this month for you?

more importantly

MAYBE, I THINK IT DROVE THROUGH IT

MY DAD LIVED UP THERE FOR AWHILE

I DIDN'T KNOW REGIONS OWNED WORDS

IF I DON'T BUY A DICKTIONARY CAN I NOT USE THE WORDS CONTAINED THEREIN?

UGH

• Is "Yeeeeee" the Dipset/Houston/Diplo of this month for you?

more importantly

MAYBE, I THINK IT DROVE THROUGH IT

I DIDN'T KNOW REGIONS OWNED WORDS

IF I DON'T BUY A DICKTIONARY CAN I NOT USE THE WORDS CONTAINED THEREIN?

UGH

OK first of all if you drove through it and didn't stop you fucked up. There's records there.

Second of all yes regions own words. Just like Simon owns your posting style.

Lastly, I am just looking out for you. This is really not going to help you change that "girls kissed:records owned" ratio....

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

YEEEEE!

Lastly, I am just looking out for you. This is really not going to help you change that "girls kissed:records owned" ratio....

THANKS YOU ARE CERTAINLY A SMARTER YOUNG BOSS THAN MARKASSENCY. KUDOS PROPS AND THANKS. YOUR STORE IS RADD.

SHOOTING STRAIGHT,
    m

• Lastly, I am just looking out for you. This is really not going to help you change that "girls kissed:records owned" ratio....

THANKS YOU ARE CERTAINLY A SMARTER YOUNG BOSS THAN MARKASSENCY. KUDOS PROPS AND THANKS. YOUR STORE IS RADD.

SHOOTING STRAIGHT,
    m

Never drive through a Black town and not stop for raers,
    J

PS,

I have it marked on my calendar that Funk45s/Dipset/Houston/Diplo/Hollertronix/Mashups/Baltimore House/Ghetto-tech/New Rap/Private Issue Folk/YEEE is a year round thing now.

Yeah yeah I can hear it already

"your year sux"

lol

peace, 'Latency...

Never drive through a Black town and not stop for raers,

wise words, indeed

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    This thread took a left turn somewhere.

Yeah yeah I can hear it already

"this thread sux"

lol

peace, 'Latency...

yah it did, sorry A

• This thread took a left turn somewhere.

Let's get back to why dudes pile up a stack of records worth $600 and then want to use paypal.

Let's get back to why dudes pile up a stack of records worth $600 and then want to use paypal.

Do you mean someone made a stack in your shop and wanted to paypal you for it?

• Let's get back to why dudes pile up a stack of records worth $600 and then want to use paypal.

Do you mean someone made a stack in your shop and wanted to paypal you for it?

This has happened a few times.

• For the fittyleventh time I have had to kindly remind a seller that they are not allowed to charge "$1 extra for paypal".

When is ebaypal gonna get serious about this bullshit?

Grrrrrr

I have a mate who saw his auction be cancelled by ebay because he charged paypal fees. Ebay seems to watch out for that nowadays.

To be honest, as long as it's written since the beginning of the auction on the description, I don't get wha's your problem with that. And I don't get why the seller would give up more money than the ebay fees, for me charging paypal fees is like charging the buyer for the shipping fees, no more no less. It's just up to you to place your bid in accordance to the fees you know you gonna pay, not the seller who have to do it.

Anyway, it's the same ol' debate than with the reserve price or too high shipping cost. It's not like YOU HAVE TO BID on records, it's not food or fuel, if you don't agree, don't bid and that's it.

Maybe the only place they have funds is in their PP account and they want you to have the moola?

I think you can set up a cash only non-transaction fee account, if you setup another paypal account or something?

• I really don't care where they have their cash but anyone carrying around $600 in paypal that doesn't have $600 in cash is a little

Plus, with paypal there's no signature, no proof of purchase... dudes can do chargebacks.

Plus, with paypal there's no signature, no proof of purchase... dudes can do chargebacks.

Ah, good point.

Maybe you can get them to sign something like a printout/receipt as proof of sale before handing them the records?

• For the fittyleventh time I have had to kindly remind a seller that they are not allowed to charge "$1 extra for paypal".

Grrrrrr

I have a mate who saw his auction be cancelled by ebay because he charged paypal fees. Ebay seems to watch out for that nowadays.

To be honest, as long as it's written since the beginning of the auction on the description, I don't get wha's your problem with that. And I don't get why the seller would give up more money than the ebay fees, for me charging paypal fees is like charging the buyer for the shipping fees, no more no less. It's just up to you to place your bid in accordance to the fees you know you gonna pay, not the seller who have to do it.

Anyway, it's the same ol' debate than with the reserve price or too high shipping cost. It's not like YOU HAVE TO BID on records, it's not food or fuel, if you don't agree, don't bid and that's it.

I am so tempted to sit this one out...

Of course nobody wants to not bid on an item over a buck or two. But it's some paltry shit to try to recoup expenses that way.

You know what it is, it's people who aren't familiar with the concept of PAY to PLAY. By saying you take paypal, you're accepting the convenience of that method. I get so many overseas bidders who don't do biz any other way I easily make that back.

How would you feel if you went to a store and after going up to the register they charged you extra for using a credit card? Because that's what's it's traced back to.

The credit card companies have a surcharge for using card services, but they can't pass it off to the consumer, at least not directly. Why? Well who would use a credit card if they had to pay an extra 5% each time?

Sometimes ebay jumps right on surcharged auctions. Sometimes they let it slide. It seems that auctions in the US get pulled pretty quick but overseas not so much. But that's anecdotal.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    For the fittyleventh time I have had to kindly remind a seller that they are not allowed to charge "$1 extra for paypal".

Grrrrrr

i have to agree here. people charge money for shipping but chargin a dollar or two for paypal fees is not allowed? seems kinda

i have to agree here. people charge money for shipping but chargin a dollar or two for paypal fees is not allowed? seems kinda

YOU GETS NO SOLID RETURN CUSTOMER FOLLOWING BASE, DOGGIE!

• You honestly have to be pretty dumb to still list that you charge for Paypal in your ebay auctions. Most sellers just pad the shipping cost to cover it. Which is dumb because then everyone pays the fee, even if you're using a money order.

But it's true that people don't like to pay with a method that charges them, just look at the popularity of Paypal vs. Bidpay.

• The credit card companies have a surcharge for using card services, but they can't pass it off to the consumer, at least not directly. Why? Well who would use a credit card if they had to pay an extra 5% each time?

That's exactly the point! If there is people ready to pay the extra on paypal, and it seems to be the case, why a seller would not do it? Seller is here for money, not for pleasure.
    If you are against auction with this system, just resist and don't bid on it, so the seller will maybe notice there is less auction when he charges paypal fees.

When I see a guy who write on his description: "please Email for shipping fees after you win the auction", it really makes me angry. If it's a common record, I just don't bid and let him with his probably super high and hidden shipping cost. If I really want the record I accept to gamble on this and hope he will not charge too high. If he do, well I will not argue about it, nobody forced me to push on the bid button.

My overall opinion is Paypal would have to be free. Ebay just do big money by itself, and do more money by having people money on paypal accounts, cause correct me if I'm wrong, it's like a bank system right? Why charging more with every transaction?
    Don't hate on your colleagues
    Once again records dealers are no billionaires, ebay owners are.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

The credit card companies have a surcharge for using card services, but they can't pass it off to the consumer, at least not directly. Why? Well who would use a credit card if they had to pay an extra 5% each time?

This is being done alot now. Many stores are getting the customer to pay the CC fee. Mostly computer shops are doing this. At first they just said straight up when paying by card if was an extra 3-5%. But I think the CC companies stepped in... What did they do? They turned around and said all their prices have been discounted, but when you pay by CC, you have to pay full price. It's complete bullshit. I hate nothing more than to be charged a fee to something a store is suppose to be paying. I'm already paying an extra 15% on top of the price for taxes...