I paid too much. :(I

2»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've never over paid and I continue to plan to hoodwink every dealer I come across

peace... guz

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    I've never over paid and I continue to plan to hoodwink every dealer I come across
    ...peace guz

plaese to elaborate on said hoodwinkery

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    dude. I have a shelf on the 'ole expedit which is, I am not shitting you, grab in case of fire. even wifey knows. Sad to think about, but then again the CTI catalogue is getting left to smolder, knowhatimean?

whoa. those must be some good records.

• dude. I have a shelf on the 'ole expedit which is, I am not shitting you, grab in case of fire. even wifey knows. Sad to think about, but then again the CTI catalogue is getting left to smolder, knowhatimean?

Please redirect to the "You know you have a digging problem when" thread

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ...peace guz

plaese to elaborate on said hoodwinkery

• dude. I have a shelf on the 'ole expedit which is, I am not shitting you, grab in case of fire. even wifey knows. Sad to think about, but then again the CTI catalogue is getting left to smolder, knowhatimean?

All of my Docboy whitelabel promos are there, along with my Dissmasters 1988 calender.

top right shelf for me. the cti shelf is on the bottom.

I'll often times pay too much on random shit at a place if Im getting steals for 3 or 5 dollars. That way, they have no clue what you're doing.

paying too much or not getting it at all both give me that sinking feeling.

dude. I have a shelf on the 'ole expedit which is, I am not shitting you, grab in case of fire. even wifey knows. Sad to think about, but then again the CTI catalogue is getting left to smolder, knowhatimean?

All of my Docboy whitelabel promos are there

those are becoming more in demand by the day. Life and limb should be risked to ensure the survival of said whitelabels.

• Why do you think I'm trying to get insurance information?

Dissmasters 1988 calender.

tell me more about this....

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

For sure... I got the 'emergency escape crate'. All 5 of my roommates know which one it is. I always say, 'if there's a fire and I'm not here, grab the crate where all the records are in sleeves'. They thought I was kidding at first. Fuck that noise, that's some serious shit right there!
    DJ Ferrari

• I need to make a fire crate.

Overpaying definitely pisses me off because I have a "zero sum" budget where the money I spend on records must be offset by money made from selling records.

• Trying to figure an equivilent $ amount for your collection versus the time you put in tough. I ask myself, what if I put in more work? If you want to make $ maybe it's better to drum up more business instead of taking a day off to drive to some far-off locale. Even if I find $200 of records it's not as much as I'd make if I really worked that day. If I really wanted to get paid[/b] why didn't I just go into business or get my MBA instead of going back to school for my MA? You know?

• Now we are getting to the crux of my point.
    We all could be getting paid, yet we are online arguing about facemelting gospel
    and btw, somewhere right now there is an underpriced raer sitting in a store near us waiting to get scooped. I need to shower and get the f- up outta here!!!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

For sure... I got the 'emergency escape crate'. All 5 of my roommates know which one it is. I always say, 'if there's a fire and I'm not here, grab the crate where all the records are in sleeves'. They thought I was kidding at first. Fuck that noise, that's some serious shit right there!
    DJ Ferrari

A fire crate! I need a fire proof structure for my records. Hmmm I wonder if they make those....

and btw, somewhere right now there is an underpriced raer sitting in a store near us waiting to get scooped.

word.

I cant hit the spot up until tommorrow. A basement full of 45s (newly arrived) but the place isnt open until saturday.. Just got to wait.

45's .25 a piece no matter what. It will be really good, or really bad.

PLANETS AVATAR!!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Trying to figure an equivilent $ amount for your collection versus the time you put in tough. I ask myself, what if I put in more work? If you want to make $ maybe it's better to drum up more business instead of taking a day off to drive to some far-off locale. Even if I find $200 of records it's not as much as I'd make if I really worked that day. If I really wanted to get paid[/b] why didn't I just go into business or get my MBA instead of going back to school for my MA? You know?

Very true, and it's also a balancing act based on your income. When I was making a nice paycheck, I was much more willing to overpay--or even knowingly get kinda ripped off--just for the speed or convenience factor. But as the cash flow gets lower, so does my willingness to break out big bucks. I mean, I'll still spend my last cash of the week on records instead of going to the grocery store, and I'll still pay $100 for a $100 record that I really want, but I won't pay $100 for a record I know I can get for less if I just put some extra work in.

• A fire crate! I need a fire proof structure for my records. Hmmm I wonder if they make those....

they do and it's part of my dream house. It's sort of like the shit they had in Panic Room.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Dude! You guys pay for your LPs? I steal all of mine form libraries.

I once spent $50 on the Masada LP without knowing a thing about it and was very happy until I realised that it was 1/5 that price.

• I got 2 fireproof safes, one for masters and one for documents, paperwork, cash, etc. I think they make one big enough to get a crate into or at least a whole lot of 45's. But if you have to get that out, good luck. They weigh a ton.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    A fire crate! I need a fire proof structure for my records. Hmmm I wonder if they make those....

they do and it's part of my dream house. It's sort of like the shit they had in Panic Room.

I wonder how much something like that costs. A panic room for records...

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I need to make a fire crate.

Furr-real... But here's what I have for the time being

Holds about 900 records. Added the wheels so I can roll that shit out.....

As far as paying too much, I just don't pay a lot for records, but that would also explain why my digs aren't that deep/raer

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    A panic room for records...

Now that'd be

Actually, when I worked for Star Wars Insider, the guy who wrote the collectibles column was Steve Sansweet, who I guess is the Biz Markie of SW collectibles in that no matter what obscure toy you name, he'll say, "Got it!" Anyway, he built a big-ass shed to house his SW collection. Temperature and humidity controlled, locks and alarms out the wazoo, and supposedly instead of sprinklers (water will make his collectibles be in less than mint condition!), it has that dealie where it pumps out all the oxygen, choking the fire out. I suppose it's only a matter of time before somebody makes a similar setup for their records, assuming it hasn't already be done.

and supposedly instead of sprinklers (water will make his collectibles be in less than mint condition!), it has that dealie where it pumps out all the oxygen, choking the fire out. I suppose it's only a matter of time before somebody makes a similar setup for their records, assuming it hasn't already be done.

that is

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thes,

I'm not sure if someone already noted this but the thing is: it's impossible to really determine any kind of objective value on something like records. Popsike only tells you what, under the BEST possible seller circumstances, you MIGHT have netted for a record but it's not like Popsike can be that reliable as a price guide just because someone paid $200 for [fill title here] in 2003. A lot can happen over time to affect the price of records - we all know that but sometimes, we lose sight because we never want to think our own collection might be depreciating in value.

In any case, bottomline, if collecting gives you plesaure and assuming you're not spending enough income to bankrupt you elsewhere, does it really matter what the dollar value is about?

But yo - that fire crate shit is kind of hot (no pun intended). Just to add to the chorus of people asking:

what's in that crate?