Mind blowing Gospel records...

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Probably my favorite I own is a fairly trashed "Spirit of Memphis Quartet" LP on King from the 50's. It includes "Atomic Telephone," which is just an ill track, truly next level.

More mainstream stylee, I definitely feel this album on a Sunday afternoon:

• But the real question is: can the West coast take the East coast?

durty souf

thanks for the hook up, bro

straight killa, no filla...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Love this record -- EWF style christian boogie / modern soul.

Plaese to upload!!!

SG

• Gus Poole "Soul Revolution"

Compton knows God

• a few of my favorites:

• a few of my favorites:

]

please to post Mp3's

I been lovin' the gospel time label

• The Meditation Singers - A Change Is Gonna Come (Jewel Records, produced by Andre Williams)

Incredible!

• I got a 45 on jewel of the brooklyn allstars called "Lets Rap"

Some guy talking about the evil of drugs as a radio announcer...
    DOPE
    lines like "you like POT? good, lets have some together...
    Pot... Power Over Temptation..."

crazy cool, I been bumpin that on the radio the last 2 weeks...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Saw this for the first time last week at the thrift- completely trashed (along with several other hot looking gospel records)... weak

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Meditation Singers - A Change Is Gonna Come (Jewel Records, produced by Andre Williams)

Incredible!

I was going to post that, but I wanted to see if you would say something first.

Dan

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Brockington Ensemble on H.O.B.

this label is hard as frig-diddley-oodley. If the gospel comp doesn't happen I will re-post the Swan Silvertones 45 @ 320k

http://jumpjump.com/real/MorningT.rm

http://jumpjump.com/real/At45.rm

O5BBOA the first is at 33 to give it a more hip hop feel.

http://jumpjump.com/real/Glory.rm

The Everready Singers take an old lyric and sing it to a Curtis Mayfield melody.

• OK all you funky gospel freaks need to shut the fuck up about this shit. Just got back from a show wherea dealer had - no lie - three or four boxes of "funky gospel" with prices starting at $30 and going up. Dude had Sons Of Truth for $95.

Now where are asshats like this getting their info from. Fucking internet.

Oh and Gus Poole sucks

Gospel records have gotta be one of the final frontiers of digging. Seems like there's a million of them, many micro-pressed, but the ratio of dull jesus shit to bangers is dumb high.

We are not talking about that kind of gospel. We are talking about Black gospel music. Where the ratio of excitment to dullness is high. From the 1950s (or the 1900s if your into 78s and compalations) there are tons of great gospel records. I avoid choirs and a lot of solo vocalists, but the quartets are unstoppable.

Like DigDug said if you are collecting gospel music for funk you are missing the point. If you want to know about great gospel groups just do a search.

Johnny, guys at record shows can, and do, price their records however they want. The customers can choose to reward or punish them for their pricing. In the last gospel price check thread I gave a guide for pricing any gospel record. Of course there will always be people who ignore my pricing guidelines.

Sadly for me, Portland is a terrible place to find gospel records.

Dan

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    OK all you funky gospel freaks need to shut the fuck up about this shit. Just got back from a show wherea dealer had - no lie - three or four boxes of "funky gospel" with prices starting at $30 and going up. Dude had Sons Of Truth for $95.

Now where are asshats like this getting their info from. Fucking internet.

Oh and Gus Poole sucks
    indeed.

• Johnny, guys at record shows can, and do, price their records however they want. The customers can choose to reward or punish them for their pricing. In the last gospel price check thread I gave a guide for pricing any gospel record. Of course there will always be people who ignore my pricing guidelines.

Right, my point was though that this is a known dealer who is trying to stay ahead of the trends. Not just some numbnuts who walked in off the street.

YOu know, I love sharing information but the internet is weird man. I was telling my girl last night, there's a really fine line. I am sharing information under the assumption that it's gonna be kept to the chest, and some are sharing information that will make its way throughout the collecting world.

Anyways not trying to derail the thread.

My favorite gospel record of the moment is out of Stamford CT.

Johnny, guys at record shows can, and do, price their records however they want. The customers can choose to reward or punish them for their pricing. In the last gospel price check thread I gave a guide for pricing any gospel record. Of course there will always be people who ignore my pricing guidelines.

Right, my point was though that this is a known dealer who is trying to stay ahead of the trends. Not just some numbnuts who walked in off the street.

YOu know, I love sharing information but the internet is weird man. I was telling my girl last night, there's a really fine line. I am sharing information under the assumption that it's gonna be kept to the chest, and some are sharing information that will make its way throughout the collecting world.

I understand. If someone needs the internet to tell them that gospel records are cool, and can be funky, they are a poor ass music fan and digger. For 15 years of selling I have been bummed by how overlooked and undervalued gospel records are. I Don't want to see them all disappear and become unaffordable, but I would like to see appreciate.

I promise not to give away anymore secrets, for now. But here is a tip for you all, Mahalia Jackson on Columbia

Dan

• pentecostal ambassadors - lord you're the one (savoy, 78) is pretttttttttyy pretty good

on the other hand i was disappointed by the like half dozen gospel ambassadors w/ jay caldwell lps that i grabbed recentl.y andrae crouch shit

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The Soulstrut factor

current laid back Love

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Shirley Caesar pre -jheri curl iz lava. I copped 4 lps and they all have great songs on all of them.

Live In Chicago - Hold My Mule.

• OK all you funky gospel freaks need to shut the fuck up about this shit. Just got back from a show wherea dealer had - no lie - three or four boxes of "funky gospel" with prices starting at $30 and going up. Dude had Sons Of Truth for $95.

Did the dude have glasses and a black Kango hat?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Brockington Ensemble on H.O.B.

this label is hard as frig-diddley-oodley. If the gospel comp doesn't happen I will re-post the Swan Silvertones 45 @ 320k

Could you please post the FULL track if you do this? I've been looking for the OG for a while, and this will tide me over. Please and thank you.

• MIND BLOWIN'

nice record d**w! glad to see it arrived safely.

things get even deeper than that one too... don't sleep on the other two unmentioned ones.

• spencer jackson family

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Been gettin' off on this one for the last few months....any recommendations of similar stuff??

• Been gettin' off on this one for the last few months

AYO!!!!!!!!!

....any recommendations of similar stuff??

But seriously, CLIMBING HIGH MOUNTAINS had a really dope release on Folkways. Check for it.

• This record,

recorded here in the Moving Star Hall...

by these fine Gullah (or Geechee if you're Trick Daddy) people ...

will blow your goddam mind.

The songs, or "shouts," as they're called are all a cappella, accompanied by some of the illest footstomps and hand-claps you never heard.

Boom clap half-clap boom clap boom.